The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-28-2022, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
Isn't it ironic his own vocal recording is seriously flawed. For an audio engineer, he needs to learn how to mic a masked person jaja
Seriously flawed ? Interesting. I think it is a pretty accurate recording of how a person sounds sitting in room with a mask on.. ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-28-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:59 PM

A couple of things related to the acoustic guitar demo ...

Some years ago I was part of a Hawaiian band, uke & vocals, lead uke, and my slack key. I did a bit of ensemble recording in my fairly small but heavily treated room and I used the figure 8 isolation trick both for vocal/uke separation and for separating each player from the next. It actually worked amazingly well although it was probably more luck than skill. And it was tough getting everyone to maintain their positions after painstakingly arranging the players and mics.

And on the topic of lavaliers, I remembered that I have a pair of Countryman EM-101s that are very similar to the GLM-100s used in the video. They are side address miniature omni condensers with XLR connections. I never got much use out of these mics back in the day but that's probably because I was constantly buying additional mics in search of the magical transducer.

With the inspiration from Mr. Albini it seemed like a great opportunity to dig out the EM-101s and try the bridge location on my Wingert. for comparison I used a pair of DPA 4061s in a 15" AB spaced pair about 12" from the guitar. Both mic pairs were plugged into my Zoom F6, then I used REAPER to adjust average levels so they matched pretty well.

I pulled the guitar tracks out and saved them as 48/24 WAV files that you can download for a closer comparison:
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/media...ryman-trim.wav
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/media...2-DPA-trim.wav

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-30-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Both sound pretty good, Fran! The CountryMan's might be a bit more direct-sounding? Perhaps a tad wider stereo image (tho it seems close to me). If handling noise isn't an issue, this seems like it'd be a useful tool in some situations
Old 11-11-2022, 10:08 PM

I watched that video the other day, and while I can't really stomach the idea of surface mics, I don't think I've ever heard that much isolation in a two figure 8 mic set up. Albini is the engineers engineer!
Old 11-20-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Steve Albini is hosting YouTube videos on audio recording working out of his studio. The clip I stumbled onto is about recording acoustic stringed instruments. I was pleased to see a terrific demo of a vocal and guitar recording done with dual figure 8 mics. The results using a Beyer M130 and an unspecified AEA ribbon are vastly better than I ever achieved with dual diaphragm LDs. The positioning he uses is quite a bit different than my approach and I'll definitely try his configuration next time.

Here's a link to the section on isolating sounds using figure 8 pattern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ualm3rCZRz0&t=368s

and here's the whole video:

Fran
I've used this technique when recording friends using two inexpensive Multi-Pattern mics (CAD 179) set to figure 8 with general success but not nearly the separation achieved in the video. No doubt the mic quality plays a large part, but his setup has a greater distance between the two mics than I've been able to get. Looking at the video I believe that stool height and better posture of the performer should help. Many amateur musicians tend to hunch over the guitar and that's a negative in this arrangement. As for the surface mics that's something I hadn't considered. I'm wondering how a K&K Pure Mini would work as an alternative. Thank you, Fran, for sharing this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD