The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2022, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Microphone + interface

Hey guys,

as I’d like to start to do some nice recordings, I’d like to know where to invest the money. I have saved up some cash and now I’m considering getting a tlm 103 and a apollo twin x.

Would you recommend anything else ? I do primarily fingerstyle,picking and also some singing.

Regards
Old 09-13-2022, 07:25 AM

Maybe see if you can hear your voice and guitar on that mic, see if you like it. I had a TLM 103 for a few years, but sold it, moving on to other things. It can sound a bit harsh on some sources.

Other Neumann mics to consider, neither of which has the TLM 103’s brightness: https://www.guitarinteractivemagazin...lm102-tlm-107/

There are a million microphones out there, it’s hard to know which one will sound best on YOU.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 09-13-2022, 07:59 AM

I personally prefer to divide the process into two parts; recording your audio and doing overdubs, and doing editing / mixing separately on computer.

Doing the audio capture on a portable device can make the process easier because you can record easily in the area that provides you the best sound without obtrusive background noise, you aren't chained to your computer, and the process can be a lot simpler since portable devices are designed to eliminate the complex process of setting up your DAW for each new project.

I'm using the relatively new Zoom R20 at this time, and it's very easy to use. You can start laying down a track almost instantly, and that can go a long way towards not sapping your creative energy.

If you're new to this you might find that recording at 44.1khz and 24 bits will provide you with high quality audio that you can easily edit in your DAW.

Your computer, DAW, interface, and monitor setup is the second part of the process, and once you record your tracks there's a wide variety of hardware to use that will allow you to edit your tracks into a finished product.

Microphone-wise you'll get a ton of options if you read previous topics here on the forum. A couple of good mics will probably get you what you want. Once you start recording you'll probably want to do your acoustic guitar tracks in stereo, so you'll need 2 mics for that.

I try to stay on the "frugal" side of purchasing equipment, but each person has to reach their own equilibrium point for how much they want to spend. My personal favorite mic is the Roswell Mini K47.

It's a great mic with a very neutral sounding profile, lacking the upper range emphasis that's a "signature sound" of many of the consumer large diaphragm condenser microphones.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBeginner View Post
Hey guys,

as I’d like to start to do some nice recordings, I’d like to know where to invest the money. I have saved up some cash and now I’m considering getting a tlm 103 and a apollo twin x.

Would you recommend anything else ? I do primarily fingerstyle,picking and also some singing.

Regards
There's more to a system aside from the interface and a microphone, but we should start by identifying your actual recording needs...

You say you want to record guitar and vocals. Let's start with guitar. One microphone will do if you intend to record everything in mono but chances are pretty good most of what you're listening to was recorded in stereo, and for that you'll need two mics.

As for vocals, one can either record at the same time as one is recording the guitar, or one can overdub the vocals, which means record the guitar first and the vocals afterward. The former is easier in the tracking stage; however, when you get to the mix stage, it becomes a bit more difficult. With the vocals and guitar on the same track, anything you apply to one will apply to the other. So, for example, if your guitar sounds too boomy and you roll off the low end, you're also rolling off the low end of your vocal and may be making it sound thin.

Overdubbing will allow for separate tracks that aren't bleeding into each other but it does take some patience to learn how to play a guitar track without vocals with the same amount of feeling you'd play it if you were singing along. In the end, though, you'll have tracks that can be mixed independently of each other without changes made to the guitar or vocal affecting both.

Ideally, I think you'd want three microphones, two small diaphragm condensers and one large diaphragm condenser, but one could get away with one of each without much compromise. A one microphone recording system requires compromises.

Onto the interface...

The Apollo Twin has two preamps, which means that by itself, it will only allow you to use two microphones at a time. If vocals were never part of the equation, that would be enough but since you've expressed a desire to also record vocals, I'd recommend getting an interface with at least four preamps so that if overdubbing turns out to be an issue for you, you have the option down the road to record a stereo guitar track and a vocal track at the same time. The Apollo Twin won't let you do that.

On top of that, the Apollo series, while certainly capable, is getting a bit long in the tooth. At its core is a proprietary dsp system that is rapidly becoming more antiquated and unnecessary. The original purpose of UA's dsp system was to offload processing power from the computer's cpu to the dsp chips. There was a time when the software we use for recording was asking more of computer cpu's than they could reliably deliver, so for those not running a powerhouse computer, dsp was a way to avoid other workarounds. However, today's computer CPUs are much more reliable for studio work and, unless you're working on an antiquated machine, you're not likely to need dsp.

The other argument UA makes is that their machines deliver low latency. Again, that was a problem but computer power has caught up with the requirements of the average home studio enthusiast and latency is not nearly the problem UA makes it out to be. People all over the world make music despite not owning a UA interface. Simply adjust your buffer lower for recording and adjust it higher for mixing and that takes care of most latency issues.

Also, the dsp chips in the UA units are expensive and no more powerful than they were over a decade ago. It's a premium price for very little value in today's market. On top of that, UA plugins are expensive. They were once arguably the best plugins in the business but there are plenty of other companies now who are making plugins as good or, in some cases, superior. There are better options out there...

If one only needed two preamps. the MOTU M4 is an excellent choice and only $270. But I'd recommend getting an interface with four preamps and in that category the Audient iD44 at $500 is a great buy. Both, imo, are better buys today than the Apollo Twin.

Microphones are a very personal choice. Some mics will work better than others for a particular player or singer. None are universally "the best," so you'll probably want to do some exploring. A couple of things to keep in mind, neither price nor brand determine suitability. A good place to start your exploration is the "AGF MEMBERS GEAR MASTERLIST with RECOMMENDED TUTORIAL VIDEOS & PODCASTS" thread which is stickied at the top of this forum. It contains not only a wealth of information about how to record, but there are also lists of gear, at all price points, being used by members here. It's well worth spending time there and exploring your options.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 09-18-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Those are not bad choices (but I have no hands on experience with either) However there may be other ones more suited to your specific needs and where you may be going in the near future.

As noted some more detail on exactly what you are doing,, how you wold like to record,, what you think you may be doing with the recordings etc. Also what computer (PC or Mac) and what connection to the computer i.e. USB thunder bolt and what DAW you are thinking about.

As Jim noted there are several different logistical methods to record guitar and vocal
In Mono
#1 Both vocal and guitar on one mic at the the same time
#1 Both on one mic but guitar and vocal separately

For stereo guitar you will need two mic's

#1 with 2 mics Stereo guitar first then dub mono vocal

All of the above can be done using an interface with 2 channels of mic pre (like the Apollo you are looking at)

For stereo guitar and mono all at the same time you will need 3 mics and an interface with 4 channels of mic pre (as I don't think anyone makes a 3 channel )

I have to agree with Jim --If it were me with the aprox $2000 budget you seem to be indicating
I would probably go for the Audient id44 and then spend the saved $500 on a single mic to start with, ( and then later you can think about one or two more mics) and I would take a very serious look at the Beezneez BU67 being discussed in this thread https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=648860

Those two pieces of gear will not only put you in high quality recording but with 4 mic pre's will be more future proof IMO

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-14-2022 at 07:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD