The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 09:54 PM

Default Ibanez VS Martin (Seriously?)

I'm ready to buy a 00 (Grand Concert). I have narrowed it down to 2 choices: an Ibanez AVC10MHOPN and a Martin 00LX1AE. Both are new. Both are 00. Both sell for a penny less than $600 FOB Hawaii. I've played 1 of these & liked it. The other is not available here so it's a blind date. However, it's returnable so that isn't a deal-killer as far as I am concerned.

Plan: whichever 1 I buy, I will play it for a while then give it to a pre-teen kinsman when he returns from CONUS.

Listed below are some comparative numbers. Which of these 2 do you think I should buy?

Quote:
Color I- Open Pore Natural || M- Natural
Fingerboard Material I- Maple || M- FSC Certified Richlite
Neck Joint I- Glued || M- Mortise & Tenon
Neck Material I- Mahogany || M- Rust Birch Laminate
Fretboard I- Cultured Maple || M- FSC Certified Richlite
Nut Width I- 1.77" || M- 1.75"
Scale Length I- 24.96" || M- 24.90"
Body Length I- 19.2" || M- 19.4"
Body Width I- 15 1/4" || M- 14 3/4"
Body Depth I- 4 1/4" || M- 4 1/8"
Number of Frets I & M- 20
Topwood I- Solid Mahogany - Thermo Aged || M- Solid spruce
Back and Side Wood I- Solid Mahogany - Thermo Aged || M- HPL
Body Shape I- Grand Concert -14 || M- 00-14
Electronics I- none || M- Fishman Sonitone

Last edited by bellgamin; 12-17-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I am really impressed with my Ibanez "porch guitar".

I am totally turned off by the materials in the Martin X-series (although I love most all the other Martin lines).

I would go with the Ibanez and don't be drawn in by the name on the headstock.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
...I am totally turned off by the materials in the Martin X-series (although I love most all the other Martin lines). ...
Yes, I was wondering if Martin's HPL offers the same lovely tonal character as solid mahogany. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the composition of a guitar's Back & Sides isn't very important. Hmmm?

By the way, my favorite uke is all solid mahogany and it sings like a choir of elect angels.

Last edited by bellgamin; 12-18-2018 at 01:16 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 12-18-2018, 04:40 AM
Guest 429

I would go with the Ibanez.

Talk to techs about HPL...techs who are honest.

Last edited by Guest 429; 02-02-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

I used to sell cameras. Years ago - DECADES ago. Everyone wanted a Canon or Nikon because that’s what the pros used and endorsed. And at the upper levels, they were the best cameras made. But at the lower levels they were the same quality as everything else in their price range, except Canon and Nikon charged a premium for the name, because they could. At those lower levels, I used to steer people toward Ricoh and Minolta because they’d get an equally good camera for less money and I’d usually make a little more on em too. Some people still wanted the buggger names, but I sold a lot of Ricohs and Minoltas to very satisfied customers.

In the $1300 and up range, I’d still buy a Martin. In the $500 neighborhood I wouldn’t. I’d buy a Yamaha or Ibanez or whatever you play that felt right. For my preferences Yamaha makes the best cheap guitars by a mile, but that’s just about my preferences and the ones I’ve played. But with Martins at that level, you’re probably paying for the name unless you pick one up blind and just like it better. Which you should always trust with guitars. Not as much with cameras...
Old 12-18-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Buzz View Post
I would go with the Ibanez. My AC240 (with Martin bridge pins installed btw) holds its own when compared to even the 15-series and Road Series these days. I found a really good one.

Talk to techs about HPL...techs who are honest.
I'll agree with this.... I played a used AC240 ($199) AND A 15 series similar shape 000?($1295) and thought it sounded just as good
Old 12-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

I happen to own both a Grand Concert Ibanez and a Martin 000X1AE, and I'd go with my Ibanez hands down over the Martin. The Martin does play really nicely and sounds very good amplified, but the Ibanez stands head and shoulders above it especially in fit and finish department. And the Ibanez does sound amazingly good, it has turned more than a few heads of folks that have tried it out.

Now one thing you should be aware of is that a Grand Concert Ibanez is the same size as a 000 Martin. It's not a 00 size guitar. To get a 00 size Ibanez you'd need to purchase a Parlor size (AVN10).
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-18-2018, 07:39 AM

There is no doubt that Ibanez has upped its game in the acoustic department over the last few years.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:20 AM

I have played neither and have no opinion. But my very talented luthier/repairman is unimpressed with the cheapest Martin guitars - for whatever that's worth.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-18-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I have played neither and have no opinion. But my very talented luthier/repairman is unimpressed with the cheapest Martin guitars - for whatever that's worth.
Lots of other choices in the lower price points.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-18-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I used to sell cameras. Years ago - DECADES ago. Everyone wanted a Canon or Nikon because that’s what the pros used and endorsed. And at the upper levels, they were the best cameras made. But at the lower levels they were the same quality as everything else in their price range, except Canon and Nikon charged a premium for the name, because they could. At those lower levels, I used to steer people toward Ricoh and Minolta because they’d get an equally good camera for less money and I’d usually make a little more on em too. Some people still wanted the buggger names, but I sold a lot of Ricohs and Minoltas to very satisfied customers.

In the $1300 and up range, I’d still buy a Martin. In the $500 neighborhood I wouldn’t. I’d buy a Yamaha or Ibanez or whatever you play that felt right. For my preferences Yamaha makes the best cheap guitars by a mile, but that’s just about my preferences and the ones I’ve played. But with Martins at that level, you’re probably paying for the name unless you pick one up blind and just like it better. Which you should always trust with guitars. Not as much with cameras...
I agree with this sentiment, not just with Martin but with Taylor as well. Given the choices I'd go with the Ibanez as well.

That being said, if cost were a bigger factor than need I'd also recommend neither and saving up for something at at least the next price point up. For instance, I know that Larrivee makes VERY good guitars that cost around the $1000 mark on the used market, including an 00 size with actual ebony fretboards.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
There is no doubt that Ibanez has upped its game in the acoustic department over the last few years.
I picked up a custom shop Ibanez electric. Insanely good quality. I'd like to think Ibanez could give Taylor or Martin a run for their money. I kind of doubt they'll go all in since the average Ibanez acoustic buyer is looking for something intermediate.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post

My thoughts on Martin as well. Road series or 15 series and above.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:35 AM

Buy the Ibanex AC240 and save yourself some coin. Mine is an excellent guitar. I prefer the tone and feel of it to most of the Martin Road series I have picked up. My humble .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM

I have an Ibanez and mine is a well crafted beautiful guitar that with my untrained eye, I can find no flaws, but I notice a youngster is due to receive your guitar in the future and the playability of the two necks may be a consideration. Ease of resale may also be an issue to consider.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion