The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
I paid about the same for a LS6 when they were new some years ago. I sold it to a friend woh enjoys it very much. It's a fantastic guitar and would be wonderful for traveling.
I went ahead and ordered it, couldn't pass it up for $349. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Good luck and good price.
I paid $449.00 new for my 2015 LS6 ARE
I have a solid wood 000 Recording King with scalloped bracing that I prefer for most home picking.
The Yamaha sounds fine strummed and is also long scale.
I changed the nut to a true 1.75" with no problems also.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 PM

That's a fantastic price with hsc included. Enjoy the guitar.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
That's a fantastic price with hsc included. Enjoy the guitar.
Thank you sir!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Ordered the LS6 with A.R.E. from Kraft Music with free shipping for $349. Just couldn't pass it up for that price.

Thanks for all the help!
That's a good deal on a nice guitar - you will not be disappointed. Enjoy it and no regrets!
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-18-2018, 07:17 PM

I think you will be surprised at the sustain on that model. I played a similar model and it was still ringing as I hung it back on the wall. I couldn't believe it.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:14 PM

Don’t forget to give us a review
Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Don’t forget to give us a review
Will do, coming tomorrow via UPS.

Steve

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-23-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

The Yamaha LS6 has arrived. The UPS man was right on time today. Guitar was well packaged from Kraft Music, the case is adequate but not the best (also not the worst). Now on to the LS6. Played it for about 5 minutes and did away with the strings and put some D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, Custom Lights. Sound improved but still might play around with some different strings. The laminate rosewood back and sides are very nice looking as is the top. Very solid feel and top notch fit and finish. The LS6 is a little brighter than I was expecting but not in a bad way, just brighter.

Overall it's hard to find any faults with this guitar and I can without reservation recommend the LS6 (especially if you can find one on a closeout price).
Old 12-24-2018, 05:11 PM

Glad you're liking the LS6 so far. All my Yamahas get a Tusq nut and saddle and ebony bridge pins. The lubricity of the Tusq helps with tuning, as well as the Tusq improving tone. The ebony bridge pins are more for aesthetics and ease of changing when re-stringing. Merry Christmas. Enjoy!
Old 12-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Glad you're liking the LS6 so far. All my Yamahas get a Tusq nut and saddle and ebony bridge pins. The lubricity of the Tusq helps with tuning, as well as the Tusq improving tone. The ebony bridge pins are more for aesthetics and ease of changing when re-stringing. Merry Christmas. Enjoy!
Thank you for the information, any good string recommendations?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Merry Christmas!
Can't go wrong with D'Addario nickel bronze or Ernie Ball aluminum bronze.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
The Yamaha LS6 has arrived. The UPS man was right on time today. Guitar was well packaged from Kraft Music, the case is adequate but not the best (also not the worst). Now on to the LS6. Played it for about 5 minutes and did away with the strings and put some D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, Custom Lights. Sound improved but still might play around with some different strings. The laminate rosewood back and sides are very nice looking as is the top. Very solid feel and top notch fit and finish. The LS6 is a little brighter than I was expecting but not in a bad way, just brighter.

Overall it's hard to find any faults with this guitar and I can without reservation recommend the LS6 (especially if you can find one on a closeout price).
In my experience, that is a very good explanation of the tone of the LS6. How Yamaha can make such an exceptional guitar for that price always surprises me.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:

The LS6 is a little brighter than I was expecting but not in a bad way, just brighter.

Exactly. Same with the LL6. The Engleman top is the difference I believe. I could never get use to it so I handed down to my son who loves it and makes it sound real good. We have gone through 20 or so sets of strings —— nothing changed it much. Have fun — jed
Old 12-25-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Merry Christmas!
My two cents - my Yamahas also get ebony bridge pins and bone saddles. I honestly can't hear a tonal difference with the bone - maybe brighter - but I find the tusq to be a bit soft and it tends to notch over time.

My absolute favorite strings ar Curt Mangan PB Traditional Lights (12-53), but I also rotate in D'addario EJ-16's, John Pearse PB lights, and Martin Retros and Martin basic Acoustic.

Enjoy!
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion