The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on the Yamaha LS6?

Found a recent sale price on the Yamaha LS6 for $350. Seems like a very nice deal and since I am looking for a good travel guitar for the RV I'm hoping this would fit the bill. My main guitar is a Martin OM21 so it also seems to be a very similar body style.

Would love to get some opinions / thoughts before I order one.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 PM

The engelmann tops on the L-series create some nice complex overtones. The new forward shifted bracing is very nice. And don't let the laminate factor deter you. I have an LLX6A that has been my no. 1 stage guitar for 8 years now. $350 is a pretty good deal. My only caution would be the Zero Impact pickup doesn't sound the best plugged in. That aside, should be a nice travel guitar.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The engelmann tops on the L-series create some nice complex overtones. The new forward shifted bracing is very nice. And don't let the laminate factor deter you. I have an LLX6A that has been my no. 1 stage guitar for 8 years now. $350 is a pretty good deal. My only caution would be the Zero Impact pickup doesn't sound the best plugged in. That aside, should be a nice travel guitar.
Have you per chance compared it the fg800, wondering if the LS 6 is worth the extra $$?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:52 PM

I used to own an LS16 and I think it is a better option if the price is just a little more. Sold it because I have small hands and the neck was a bit too chunky for my liking. Never tried the LS6 though. Should be a good guitar too. All the best in your search!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Have you per chance compared it the fg800, wondering if the LS 6 is worth the extra $$?

Thanks for your help!
The FS800 (smaller body) sound ridiculously good for the price. If you need to plug in, I'd go for the LS6. If you want a good sounding "beater" smaller bodied guitar, I'd go for the FS800. If you need to plug in, then the FSX800c.

The FG is the larger bodied model and also sounds terrific.

Perhaps you could narrow your search if you figure out your needs and tonal desire.

Finger picking, strumming, singing along, just playing, plugging in, need a gig bag, prefer rosewood mid scoop tone, prefer thick mid range tone like mahogany. There are many factors aside from price and looks to consider.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

I once compared an LL6 A.R.E. to an FG830. There's a world of difference - while the FG is nice, the LL is head and shoulders better, primarily due to its A.R.E. treatment and its slightly wider nut.

Is that $350 a new or used price? If used, it's still a good deal, but make sure that the model is the newer one with the A.R.E. treatment. Anything built before 2014 or so doesn't have that.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
I once compared an LL6 A.R.E. to an FG830. There's a world of difference - while the FG is nice, the LL is head and shoulders better, primarily due to its A.R.E. treatment and its slightly wider nut.

Is that $350 a new or used price? If used, it's still a good deal, but make sure that the model is the newer one with the A.R.E. treatment. Anything built before 2014 or so doesn't have that.
Interesting. I have an FG800 and an LS 6. I think they are both great--if anything I prefer the FG800. It's obviously louder because of the larger body size, but the frets are a little different and I feel like it plays a little better after a set up.

If you want something to toss in an RV, you can't go wrong with a FG or FS. I got my FG brand new for $159 with a coupon.

In my experience all the lower price yamahas come with action a little on the high side, but it only takes a few minutes and a little 220 grit sandpaper to fix.

Last edited by Rpt50; 12-18-2018 at 05:48 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-18-2018, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Fair enough. I think I preferred the slightly smaller body size (think Larrivee L-body vs. D-body). Both were out-of-box so probably just had the factory setup. For the record, I dug them both but ultimately went with a Seagull S6.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post

Yes it is new and has the A.R.E. treatment. It is on closeout, comes with free shipping, sounds like I might have to go with it?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The FS800 (smaller body) sound ridiculously good for the price. If you need to plug in, I'd go for the LS6. If you want a good sounding "beater" smaller bodied guitar, I'd go for the FS800. If you need to plug in, then the FSX800c.

The FG is the larger bodied model and also sounds terrific.

Perhaps you could narrow your search if you figure out your needs and tonal desire.

Finger picking, strumming, singing along, just playing, plugging in, need a gig bag, prefer rosewood mid scoop tone, prefer thick mid range tone like mahogany. There are many factors aside from price and looks to consider.
Needs are just playing, flatpicking, fun, Practice Practice Practice, prefer rosewood but not that important for this purpose.

I just don't want to look back in a year and wish I would have spent another $100 for the LS6. I've read enough to know either would be good, just want to make the best selection.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 AM

I have the LL6. Tried the LS6 but sent it back. First of all, LS vs FG, in my opinion, are like two different guitar companies. . I also have the FG800 and FS800 and I do not see any similarities to the LS and LL models. That being said, the main differences are in the neck and top. I have never come to like the sound of the LL Engleman spruce for my playing style. But, you like picking songs like Hotel California (acoustic version), that's where it shines. It has a distinct different sound compared to the FG/FS. Not bad, just different. I've tried about 20 different strings and it it still bugs me. The neck on the L series is fatter but I like that part. Has just a tad more string spacing too. One more thing: look at the size. The LL is (or it feels) bigger than a regular dread. The LS6 is a little bigger too vs other smaller body guitars. I would definitely play before buying.

If you are looking for an RV, beach, campfire, etc. guitar, the FS800 is perfect.

Hope this helps. Jed
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
I have the LL6. Tried the LS6 but sent it back. First of all, LS vs FG, in my opinion, are like two different guitar companies. . I also have the FG800 and FS800 and I do not see any similarities to the LS and LL models. That being said, the main differences are in the neck and top. I have never come to like the sound of the LL Engleman spruce for my playing style. But, you like picking songs like Hotel California (acoustic version), that's where it shines. It has a distinct different sound compared to the FG/FS. Not bad, just different. I've tried about 20 different strings and it it still bugs me. The neck on the L series is fatter but I like that part. Has just a tad more string spacing too. One more thing: look at the size. The LL is (or it feels) bigger than a regular dread. The LS6 is a little bigger too vs other smaller body guitars. I would definitely play before buying.

If you are looking for an RV, beach, campfire, etc. guitar, the FS800 is perfect.

Hope this helps. Jed
Thank you!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Found a recent sale price on the Yamaha LS6 for $350. Seems like a very nice deal and since I am looking for a good travel guitar for the RV I'm hoping this would fit the bill. My main guitar is a Martin OM21 so it also seems to be a very similar body style.

Would love to get some opinions / thoughts before I order one.

Thanks!
I paid about the same for a LS6 when they were new some years ago. I sold it to a friend woh enjoys it very much. It's a fantastic guitar and would be wonderful for traveling.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Ordered the LS6 with A.R.E. from Kraft Music with free shipping for $349. Just couldn't pass it up for that price.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM

I saw that, what a fantastic deal with hard shell case and electronics. Pretty sweet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion