The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 PM

I'm one of the people who have traveled with a Dread in a hard case. Mostly fly United. On older Boeing planes - especially 737, this has been ok as the bins don't have many dividers and stretch across multiple rows.

I have an airline credit card that lets me board in one of the early groups, so I can usually get bin space. I've had to gate check a couple of times, and my guitar has survived. Once or twice I've been able to get it into the front closet, but it didn't always fit.

However, the newer Boeing planes and most of the Airbus planes seem to have bins that are not as long. I expect that I will have more flights where I can't carry on. My solution is to get a travel dread. I've looked at Voyage Air, but just pulled the trigger on the new Journey First Class GA. Their kickstarter deal was really attractive to me, and the case was a bit smaller than the Voyage air one.

My next trip is in Feb, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will get it in time!

I think we are all fortunate to have so many good options for travel instruments!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Airline travel experience

I mostly fly with Delta (95%+) and I have had absolutely no issues. Previously I had an inexpensive Cort parlor in a hard shell case. I had about a 50/50 experience of front closet or gate check. The guitar was none the worse for the experience, but the case was starting to show some considerable wear. About three months ago more of my travel was forcing me to make alternate arrangements in order to not leave the guitar in a car all day long -summer and winter. I switched to a used Rainsong OM guitar with a soft sided formed SKB case. I almost invariably gate check this one. From my experience the gate agents and flight attendants on Delta have been very accommodating. Now if you want to discuss United or American ........
Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Like Rev Roy above, my guitars live in and travel in Hiscox Pro II cases.

I take a nice dread with me to England a couple times/yr and I've had to gate check it 90% of the time. Hiscox has come through every time!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 PM

I always gate check my GS Mini (in a hard case). It goes under the plane and I pick it up on the jetway. This way I don’t meed to take up the limited overhead on the plane.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
No cracks, and still in tune.
You might want to consider de-tuning to lower the string tension.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to post my recent experience incase it will help someone. I traveled from ATL to Austin last week and my J45 in a Mono bag and it did not fit in the overhead bin OR the tiny closet in first class. Airbus 320/321. The flight attendant had to check it both ways. Guitar ended up being fine but this was stressful. It was waiting immediately after stepping off the plane in the jetway area - same spot they unload baby carriers, etc. No cracks, and still in tune. I would not be comfortable making a habit out of this but it worked out this time.

Travel tips appreciated!
-What do other people do?
-I might start traveling with a 00 in a bag - as I'm not sure even an OM would fit.
-Does Mono make a 00 bag?
Never ever assume you can get the storage you want. I’d never fly commercial without a hard case, and unless it’s a tiny guitar where I knew I could get it in the overhead, I wouldn’t go without a flight case. I fly with dreadnoughts a lot and it’s always Calton.

But seriously, don’t even think about the gig bag unless you’re comfortable seeing the guitar smushed.

This isn’t on Delta. You took some risks and you got lucky. Always prepare for the worst!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
They do not fit in many regional air craft. The width is the problem not the length.
I recently traveled on an Alaska Airlines Embraer 175 and had to gate-check my guitar because it wouldn't fit in the overhead bin. As I was deplaning, I noticed that the overhead bins on the starboard side of first class were deeper.

When I checked in for my return flight I was about to check my rollerboard for $30, when I got a popup saying I could upgrade to first class for $53, which included two checked bags! No brainer!. I upgraded, made sure I was first in line for boarding, and I was able to stow my dreadnought in the overhead bin!

Even though it was a fairly short flight, the upgrade was definitely worth it!

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Eric Skye

If anyone plans on flying domestically with a guitar you just have to get in with Southwest. I've flown with my Santa Cruz hundreds of times and never once had to check it. It's always over my head. Only once I was asked to choose between my suitcase and the guitar -easy choice. I know many pros feel the same way. I often am adding a connection to fly Southwest, but I don't care at all. Once in a while a promoter will want me to fly another airline, but even then I'll eat the ticket to stay on Southwest.. Also, for the record, I love the way they do everything else too. The open seating is so great. Flying other airlines I find the assailed seating boarding just painful - on Southwest, you just grab a spot and we're back up in the air in tents minutes. It's a flying bus.. No fees to change tickets! And Southwest's points program is quite generous, with no limitations -it's the same as cash... Sorry fo the rant
Old 04-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to post my recent experience incase it will help someone. I traveled from ATL to Austin last week and my J45 in a Mono bag and it did not fit in the overhead bin OR the tiny closet in first class. Airbus 320/321. The flight attendant had to check it both ways. Guitar ended up being fine but this was stressful. It was waiting immediately after stepping off the plane in the jetway area - same spot they unload baby carriers, etc. No cracks, and still in tune. I would not be comfortable making a habit out of this but it worked out this time.

Travel tips appreciated!
-What do other people do?
-I might start traveling with a 00 in a bag - as I'm not sure even an OM would fit.
-Does Mono make a 00 bag?
One of my kids is a flight attendant on Delta. Delta is absolutely one of the finest customer orientated companies around. As was stated, "I would not be comfortable making a habit out of this but it worked out this time." I agree, but next time talk to them BEFORE you get to your departure gate.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:32 AM

I've been flying Delta (with and without guitars) for decades. I've never had any issues with the storage and the flight attendants are always exceptionally nice about it. Even the gate attendants (if you let them know in advance) have switched me into an earlier boarding group once they saw my guitar. Just remember to be NICE as that's almost always the key.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

The problem is that 'gate checking' could mean two things.

1) put it with the baby strollers and avoid going to baggage claim.

2) bag tag it, it goes with the suitcases and winds up at baggage claim.

#1 is excellent.
#2 is not!

It is totally unpredictable which option you will get. I was specifically told on multiple occasions that "stroller/wheelchair" storage does not include musical instruments and it needed to be checked baggage option instead.

I keep the good guitars at home. Airlines are a mess.
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
The problem is that 'gate checking' could mean two things.

1) put it with the baby strollers and avoid going to baggage claim.

2) bag tag it, it goes with the suitcases and winds up at baggage claim.

#1 is excellent.
#2 is not!

It is totally unpredictable which option you will get. I was specifically told on multiple occasions that "stroller/wheelchair" storage does not include musical instruments and it needed to be checked baggage option instead.

I keep the good guitars at home. Airlines are a mess.
Typically, if you check it at the check-in counter, it will be #2. If you carry it down the jetway and then check it due to lack of space, it will typically be #1.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 PM

I have an Emerald X-5 I've taken on domestic flights and international, always in an overhead bin. I'm thinking about renting an acoustic guitar on a trip I'm taking this summer. I'd pick it up and drop it off in Albany, keeping it about a week. What do you think is a fair price for a rental of a modest acoustic?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM

Just get a Hiscox Pro 2-level case or better, and you won’t have to spend any more time stressing about this.

Flying with a gig bag is crazy, IMO. Like driving without a seat belt — you’ll probably be fine most of the time, until you’re not.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:37 AM

I have a Hiscox Pro II for my OM and a Geib-style hard case for my 00 AND a backaxe strap system that works with either case. Most of the time I'm able to stow the guitar in the cabin -- typically, the overhead. But sometimes you get stuck -- on the occasions I've had to gate-check those guitars, a hard case provided a certain amount of peace-of-mind. I'd be hesitant to fly with a gig bag. Of course it would work out, whether in the cabin or not, but I prefer the protection of a hard case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion