The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Default NG...O

Well my inner demons finally triumphed and I just made a down payment on a custom X20 Woody. As I sit here in my music room showing 26% humidity with it only being -3degC outside today it couldn't be more apparent to me that I made the right decision to sell my last wooden guitar to help fund the X20. As much as I love my Custom Gibson Songwriter Deluxe it stays in it's case most of the winter (even more since I got an X30). A fine guitar that should make someone else happy. I'll sell it in the spring as I wouldn't want to ship a wooden guitar during the winter.

I actually made the decision about week or so ago but was going back and forth with Alistair on a veneer. I ended up going with a veneer that hasn't been used yet (which I'll label as "Mystery Veneer") not even Kramster has one lol!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Mystery wood?

I sure hope you have the opportunity to give it a thumbs up before they commit to it!!!

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll love the new guitar. I understand, as TP said: The Waiting is the Hardest Part!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Mystery wood?

I sure hope you have the opportunity to give it a thumbs up before they commit to it!!!

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll love the new guitar. I understand, as TP said: The Waiting is the Hardest Part!
Oh don't worry I seen many pics over the last week including a look at the full sheets of it. I do have a pic of the X20 template that I went with I think it'll look awesome when they put a finish on it.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I hear you on the humidity - or lack thereof! This time of year I'm usually dragging out the room humidifier and running it round the clock to keep the Martin happy.

This year the Martin is in its case (with in-case humidifiers, of course) and tucked away for the season like a sleepy bear. And now I can lovingly gaze at the two Emeralds hanging on the wall, as much art as instrument, and laugh in the face of dry air!!!

Can't wait to see what you picked out for a veneer!!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Guitarluva,

I hope yours come out as good as mine. I, too, have been infected by AGF and enjoy appreciating the asthetic aspect as well and look forward to seeing your pick some time.

Within a day or two(my X7 in town), I will find out, but if I were to do it again, I might go with someting less bulky than Full Anthem... maybe even passive pick-up in order to work with Nux wireless. Just a thought. Anthem is not cheap either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Congrats! I hear you on the humidity - or lack thereof! This time of year I'm usually dragging out the room humidifier and running it round the clock to keep the Martin happy.

This year the Martin is in its case (with in-case humidifiers, of course) and tucked away for the season like a sleepy bear. And now I can lovingly gaze at the two Emeralds hanging on the wall, as much art as instrument, and laugh in the face of dry air!!!

Methos,

I am the same way. My Gpc rarely ventures out of the case against Of660. With my neck pain, supine in bed is my favorite playing position and journey is very comfortable that way and if I fall asleep, I am not worried about damaging it.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

Thanks, and yes the humidity issue is one I'm quite sick of. My X30 just hangs on the wall all day when I'm not playing it laughing at the Gibson tucked away in it's case.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Guitarluva,

Within a day or two(my X7 in town), I will find out, but if I were to do it again, I might go with someting less bulky than Full Anthem... maybe even passive pick-up in order to work with Nux wireless. Just a thought. Anthem is not cheap either.
I couldn't possibly agree more with this statement. I went with the full Anthem in my X30 and just recently ripped out the entire system. The amount it was affecting the unplugged tone was astonishing. I posted about it in other threads. I actually just ordered a Schatten HFN passive and look forward to trying it. Should be here in a couple days.

The X20 I just ordered is coming with no pickup!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM

Puhahaha, sorry, Luva, feel like a kid telling dad how to drive... 😉
Old 12-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Puhahaha, sorry, Luva, feel like a kid telling dad how to drive... 😉
No apologies necessary. There's nothing wrong with giving people proper info. Luckily I'm aware of what the anthem does to the unplugged tone just didn't think It would be as drastic as it was. A lot of people are completely oblivious to all the different types of pickup systems and the effect that they can have on the unplugged tone of a guitar.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Hummm....maybe that's why I love my un pickup'd X20 so much. There were times I wished I had a pickup, but I don't need one and you guys helped me get over it. Thanks ! Oh...and congrats Luva on your recently placed order.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Hummm....maybe that's why I love my un pickup'd X20 so much. There were times I wished I had a pickup, but I don't need one and you guys helped me get over it. Thanks ! Oh...and congrats Luva on your recently placed order.
Thanks. It is nice to have a pickup...but not one that can affect your unplugged tone!
Old 12-15-2018, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it down the road and hear more about it.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:42 AM

I almost never play unplugged and I am happy to miss a pick up on some occasions, in exchange for a better acoustic sound. All my carbon fiber guitars and wood guitars are acoustic only. To place something between the bottom of the saddle and the guitar in my opinion really damages the sound, some guitars show it more, some less. One more thing: I only had one Emerald recently, the X7 and I noticed that with that guitar a bone saddle really increased the low end.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I almost never play unplugged and I am happy to miss a pick up on some occasions, in exchange for a better acoustic sound. All my carbon fiber guitars and wood guitars are acoustic only. To place something between the bottom of the saddle and the guitar in my opinion really damages the sound, some guitars show it more, some less. One more thing: I only had one Emerald recently, the X7 and I noticed that with that guitar a bone saddle really increased the low end.
I put an unbleached bone saddle in the X30 when I removed the Anthem and noticed the bass to be punchier and the trebles to be crisper and overall increased sustain.

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 12-15-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Congratulations! Can't wait to see it down the road and hear more about it.
Thanks Kerbie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber