The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 AM

I will second the Teton parlor (I have an STP-180DVB) and it's a nice little guitar. Don't know where you would find them in Hawaii, however.
https://tetonguitars.com/product/stp...-teton-guitar/ Other options include a used Rainsong CH-PA (new would be close to 2X your budget).

But since you are in Hawaii, my first call (not email) would be to Pono Guitars on Oahu. Their parlor guitars have a good reputation. http://koolauukulele.com/pono-guitar/

As for Question #3, it is barre chord out in the world, and any chord is a "bar chord" when played in a bar.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 PM

+1 for the Fender Paramount. Awesome all solid wood 00 size hog guitar.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Second on the Alvarez 00's. I have an AP70 that has zero boxiness.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:37 PM

A third shout for the Alvarez AP70.I love it! I have expensive guitars too and they do not always sound better, though we sometimes try to convince ourselves that the extra money is well spent. In terms of woods and quality of construction more expensive guitars bring out a rightful pride of ownership. but the sound is not always better. Try as many as you can and ignore the brand and price tag. (within reason).

Last edited by NotveryGood; 12-15-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 PM

Default Seagull SWS

The Seagull SWS Folk HG I bought used at Guitar Center was half of your budget. It's all wood spruce over hog and has turned out to be my favorite around the house go to guitar. Great balanced sound. Easy playability. Understated looks but quite attractive.

I will echo those who suggest the Larrivee parlor. Mine stays out by my desk and has great tone with handy size for sitting at the desk working on learning new songs.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

If in Hawaii, 100% hunt down a Pono. I believe they are only building guitars to order now, but there should still be a few around used. My OP 30D is rosewood/engelman with wood binding and I bought it for $800 used. They don't do rosewood anymore, but a mahogany or ebony would be sweet.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 PM

Play a Larrivee parlor first. Mine is anemic, and I find the GS Mini to have more bass and a much better tone overall.

I spent years trying to find a full sounding small bodied guitar. The GS Mini was the best I found for your price range. You’re not going to do much better without spending a significant amount more. An 00 is your best bet at your price range.

On the expensive end, I’ve tried a Santa Cruz PJ and Style 1; Collings Baby, 0 and 00; and an Allison parlor. I’ve owned a Martin 0 and 00, a Collings 00 and a Seagull Grand Parlor. All were insufficient or so borderline that I sold them.

I had a Froggy P12 that I wish I never sold. It was full and rich. I have a Froggy Bottom L that is very good. It has sufficient bass, but just. I have a Rein 00 that is rich and full. I’ve played Goodall parlors (almost 00 sized) that sound full. I wish there were really good sounding parlors at a low price point, but it hasn’t been my experience.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Elderly Old Town... the LG2 copies are really very very good. Or perhaps a used 15 series smaller body from Martin.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:25 PM

Try out an Alvarez MP-60 with solid spruce top and solid Mahogany B/S.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 PM

Default No Tinniness Here

Loving my new Guild M -40. The specs hit an all-round sweet spot but it might be a couple of hundred bucks beyond your stated budget.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:26 AM

If you want enhanced bass in a small guitar I would either go all Mahogany, or RW B&S with a Spruce top. 3rd choice would be a Cedar topped guitar, very responsive and warm. My wife has a Cedar topped Seagull Grand that has a ton of bass for a parlor guitar - loud and dynamic too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
If you want enhanced bass in a small guitar I would either go all Mahogany, or RW B&S with a Spruce top. 3rd choice would be a Cedar topped guitar, very responsive and warm. My wife has a Cedar topped Seagull Grand that has a ton of bass for a parlor guitar - loud and dynamic too.
I love all Mahogany. My all-hog, long neck, low-G concert uke is superb. Whenever I play that darling chid, it gives me a jolly good belly massage.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:43 PM

Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Folk. Made in Canada. Available with Sitka spruce top over mahogany back and sides or mahogany all around. All solid.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 12-19-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
I seek a small* bodied guitar without that tinny sound (too much treble, not enough bass).

Serious questions (please answer):
1) Which topwood would likely give me more bass & less treble?

2) Which make** of small* guitar ($800 or less) would likely give me more bass & less treble?

* "small" = 0 or 00, NOT 3/4
** Never mind Taylor GS-Mini. I already have 1.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silly question (ignore as you wish):
3) If I want to use bar chords instead of barre chords, would that only apply when playing guitar in a saloon?
I think you should try a Blueridge BR 341 (12 frets, ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, all solid, spruce top/mahogany back and sides) or BR 361 (same guitar, but rosewood back and sides). I have the BR 341 model and I can tell you it doesn't sound small of thin at all. Actually, even my luthier was amazed by the big voice of this small guitar (it's a kind of 00 size).
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Can't help with advice on the small guitar front but I do know that playing 'Bar' chords is OK as long as you play no more than eleven.

Playing twelve will give you the Blues.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion