The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM

Default Mixer Sound Quality?

How much difference in actual sound quality is there with different mixers?

I currently have a Soundcraft mixer with 8 XLR inputs, and want to buy a smaller unit with just 2 XLR inputs for portability to solo gigs. My Soundcraft sounds great, and I'm wondering how much different a cheaper brand small mixer will sound. I'm not concerned about features, as long as it has phantom power. Thanks to all who respond!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 AM

The cheaper mixers tend to have pre-amps that are less strong and noisier. In most situations, you are unlikely to even notice.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I know longer use a mixer since Bose came out with the T8 mixer to go along with my Bose stuff. In the past because I needed more channels than their only mixer (4 ch) I used several different small mixers.

The Soundcraft stuff is very nice sounding and maybe a touch different then the other offerings in small mixers that are affordable.

I've had small Mackie and Yamaha mixers both with a little bit of effects. Of those two I preferred the tone & effects of the Yamaha Mig series mixers. Not a lot different but I thought a touch better Reverb.

A lot of people love the Allen & Heath little mixers as well but I've never owned or tried.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-07-2018, 02:43 PM

How about this?

https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/notepad-8fx
Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I know longer use a mixer since Bose came out with the T8 mixer to go along with my Bose stuff. In the past because I needed more channels than their only mixer (4 ch) I used several different small mixers.

The Soundcraft stuff is very nice sounding and maybe a touch different then the other offerings in small mixers that are affordable.

I've had small Mackie and Yamaha mixers both with a little bit of effects. Of those two I preferred the tone & effects of the Yamaha Mig series mixers. Not a lot different but I thought a touch better Reverb.

A lot of people love the Allen & Heath little mixers as well but I've never owned or tried.

The Yamaha MG series are good mixers, a step from the absolute basic.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larren View Post
That's the mixer I have been looking at. I think that MikeBmusic answered my question with his comment that cheaper mixers use lesser quality preamps, although the difference is hard to hear.

I was previously using an inexpensive PA amp with EQ until I got the Soundcraft mixer, which I run into the same PA amp. There is a noticeable difference in sound quality with the Soundcraft added. This led me to wonder if a cheaper, smaller mixer (like a Beringer) would take away the improved sound quality.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 AM

I can only comment on what ive owned and
played with but yes i think quality sound
comes with quality preamps. Our band used
to use a big 16 ch Mackie VLZ product.
We went with a newer digital touchmix
And our sound quality went down in a way
that probably isnt noticable to the audience
but is to me. Buy used if you cant get the quality
you want.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

We've been using Behringer mixers for years and are happy with the sound. It's not going to cost a lot to roll the dice for a 2 XLR channel w/ phantom power to find out if it'll work for you.

I would add that I bought a small Mackie board as a back up to the Behringer and it is definitely unsatisfactory. I'm done with Mackie.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input. I guess it always pays to buy the best quality sound equipment that you can afford.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
How much difference in actual sound quality is there with different mixers?

I currently have a Soundcraft mixer with 8 XLR inputs, and want to buy a smaller unit with just 2 XLR inputs for portability to solo gigs. My Soundcraft sounds great, and I'm wondering how much different a cheaper brand small mixer will sound. I'm not concerned about features, as long as it has phantom power. Thanks to all who respond!
It will be a noticeable step down. Don't do it.
I like my EFX8 as much as anything I've owned.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:13 PM

A few years ago I was part of the crowd that snubbed my nose at budget mixers, but now I think the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound wonderful. My least expensive one is a 1002B which cost me around $80 used. No sweepable mids or DSP, but otherwise sounds great. I'm still pretty picky on mics, pickups, speakers and passive DI boxes, but the inexpensive Behringer mixers sound fine.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM

The guts of a good mixer are so inexpensive to manufacture these days and the good mic preamp circuits have been long available in the public domain that there is no reason to make a bad one at any price point. Buy for features.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-08-2018, 06:31 PM

I've had good results with a little Behringer that has four XLR/mic inputs plus a couple stereo line ins. It's an older one & doesn't have FX, compressor, etc, but it works great with a small power amp (Carvin-50w per side) and a couple of signal processing units through the aux buses.

I've been using it for almost 20 years now; inexpensive & reliable.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-09-2018, 01:17 PM

IMO, you've spoiled yourself. The Soundcraft analogue units sound really, really good compared to it's competitors. Only the Allen & Heath competes... it's preamps are different but equally pleasant. The Peavey, Yamaha, Mackie and Behringers don't sound as good. YMMV.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
IMO, you've spoiled yourself. The Soundcraft analogue units sound really, really good compared to it's competitors. Only the Allen & Heath competes... it's preamps are different but equally pleasant. The Peavey, Yamaha, Mackie and Behringers don't sound as good. YMMV.
Agreed.

I went from a Zed 10FX to a Soundcraft EFX8, I definitely liked it a lot more than my Zed. IMO, better FX, Pre's, and EQ plus mutes, faders and double the XLR's in about the same height and width as my Zed 10FX. The only thing I gave up was HPF's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification