The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I use a razor knife. I will resaw off a QS veneer of what ever wood I am using and finish it to 1/8in thick. Then clamp it down on a work board with a long straight edge. Then with a fresh blade on the knife score a line along the edge and go deeper and deeper till it pops off. Usually takes 5 or 6 swipes.

Pretty much zero waste with that method.
I do this for purfling… I get .010"-.020" veneer, and I made a cutter that works with my straightedge that spaces the blade just shy of the straightedge. Then I just simply mark off each side of the veneer, line up the straightedge, and go at it... I tried this for binding, but I don't get a satisfactory square edge, so I have to cut them bigger, then stack a few on a makeshift clamping fixture that I can scrape the edges square. With the Diablo blade I can di it either way - use 1/4" stock and cut .080" thick binding, or use .080" stock (which I have leftover from orphaned side sets) and cut them to width...

Harbor Freight sells a micro table saw that uses mini saw blades, though not sure how good it works.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I use a razor knife. I will resaw off a QS veneer of what ever wood I am using and finish it to 1/8in thick. Then clamp it down on a work board with a long straight edge. Then with a fresh blade on the knife score a line along the edge and go deeper and deeper till it pops off. Usually takes 5 or 6 swipes.
I have never done it that way and now question myself why such an obvious method has eluded me over the years. Thankyou, my newest method for cutting bindings has now been discovered , time to experiment.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-09-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I have never done it that way and now question myself why such an obvious method has eluded me over the years. Thankyou, my newest method for cutting bindings has now been discovered , time to experiment.

Steve
Just start of really slow. The first few strokes should be done just to score the line which will act as a guide line for the heavier cutting strokes. Otherwise your blade will want to run with the grain lines. After I cut them all I stack them on edge and run through my drum sander.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
...After I cut them all I stack them on edge and run through my drum sander.
Now, there's a great idea I haven't tried before. Thanks for the tip, redir.
-d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair