The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Others may differ, it’s about finding what’s right for you.

I find if I use a fox style (I have LMII version) bender, if I am building with a mold (which I mainly do), I have to hand bend the sides afterwards to get a neat fit into the mold.

Extra time spent now tweaking the fit will save having a side split out from excess stress later on in its working life.

Steve

This example I have bent the side in my lmii unit and then hand bent it on a hot pipe to match my mold
Mirwa, Your sides look great, but unfortunately I don't have a hot pipe to do that so I have to do my best with just the blanket. I think next time I'll make my bender jig slightly smaller than my mold in order to get a tight fit once it springs back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone
Its probably just out of shot, but are you using a controller for your heat blanket or just powering it straight out the mains? I was going to try use mine with a simple potentiometer to control it but i was too nervous about that solution so i've had an electrician friend of mine build me a real heat controller. Saved me a bunch of money over the pre-manufactured controllers. I just have to wait for it to arrive in the post before I can attempt to bend my sides....
To be honest, I just ran it off the mains. I didn't have access to a controller and some of them are wildly expensive so I decided to try without. I just plugged it in and once the sides were soft enough to start bending nicely I unplugged it. Just dumb luck that I didn't crack the sides doing so. I plan on getting a controller in the future, just about finding the right time/controller.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:51 AM

Ok, so after a bit of a delay (work and life) I was able to get back at it and get some work done.

Glued on and slotted the back strip. Radiused and glued on the back braces. Once that was done I shaped them.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:10 AM

Your centre reinforcement strip looks nice and straight. That is good becuase when you look in the box through the sound hole, very few things can be seen, the centre reinforcement is one of those things that is viewed externally at completion.

A trick I use, I glue the centre re-inforcement strip the full length to start with, then mark my braces out and remove that section of the strip, seems like wasted time, but it gives a perfectly straight centre strip and it’s simple to remove as the grain of the strip is 90 to the back

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Your centre reinforcement strip looks nice and straight. That is good becuase when you look in the box through the sound hole, very few things can be seen, the centre reinforcement is one of those things that is viewed externally at completion.

A trick I use, I glue the centre re-inforcement strip the full length to start with, then mark my braces out and remove that section of the strip, seems like wasted time, but it gives a perfectly straight centre strip and it’s simple to remove as the grain of the strip is 90 to the back

Steve
That's exactly what I did . Just no pictures of that part
Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 AM

The other thing I've managed to get done is the neck and tail blocks and kefling.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:59 PM

Got some more work done on the neck.

I used a pre slotted ebony fretboard from LMII

Simple pearl dot inlays. And trimmed it to the rough dimensions.

Next up is installing the truss rod and gluing on the fretboard so I can finish carving the neck

Last edited by GrimesGrimes; 12-21-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM

My method for gluing the fretboard on was pretty simple, I think.

I secured it from moving by using the toothpick trick on both ends.

After I was sure it wasn't going to move, I wrapped it in rubber tubing. A lot of rubber tubing. Maybe too much rubber tubing. But, it worked.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:06 AM

What’s the “toothpick trick”?

I use one small brad nail through each of the first and 11th fret slots and a few clamps with a jointed 2x4 gluing caul. Probably much quicker and more forceful for that large gluing surface area.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair