The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Can anyone see the voltage, ah and/or wh spec on that battery pack?
Hi Dannyg1,

I don't have the battery pack picture but I have this

25V 3A (75W)

25V means good preamp headroom, so I guess we don't have to worry about poor low fixed gain as in Mackie freeplay, JBL eon one...

That's also why the battery is that big.

The question I ask myself is:

Are 3 speakers enough to play on phase and EQ to actually have an effective "beaming" effect?

The main advantage of F1 and L1 is to shape the sound beam so it goes further and does not need sheer power. If it does: we may have a winner.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
It's twice less loud than the L1 compact (3dB difference) and nearly half the horizontal coverage (normal speaker horizontal dispersion)

From Bose new Brochure
Thanks.. I was curious to the volume and dispersion.

Compared to the L1C the S1 is prob not going to cut too deep into the it's sales.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks.. I was curious to the volume and dispersion.

Compared to the L1C the S1 is prob not going to cut too deep into the it's sales.
Bose is looking for a new market segment.

They want to hit Mackie freeplay and Fishman Mini Charge market.

For example Fishman Mini Charge specs are
Output rating: SPL @ 1 meter 108 dB (measured)
Frequency Response 80 Hz – 20 kHz
Power rating: 60 W (working on 12V but with gain pots)

If the Bose preamp is well designed and the auto-EQ works, it will do "a bit of" beam steering. The 40° vertical dispersion is already a "proof". Other speakers will have conical dispersion. It may not need to be "loud" if it can throw further with less attenuation than conventional woofer+tweeter speakers.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Bose is looking for a new market segment.

They want to hit Mackie freeplay and Fishman Mini Charge market.

For example Fishman Mini Charge specs are
Output rating: SPL @ 1 meter 108 dB (measured)
Frequency Response 80 Hz – 20 kHz
Power rating: 60 W (working on 12V but with gain pots)
Yep.. The market makes sense.

Plus price point is on the high end.
Which is where Bose likes to play.

Quote:
If the Bose preamp is well designed and the auto-EQ works, it will do "a bit of" beam steering. The 40° vertical dispersion is already a "proof". Other speakers will have conical dispersion. It may not need to be "loud" if it can throw further with less attenuation than conventional woofer+tweeter speakers.
Look forward to hearing the system.... I see what you are referring too. It seems to follow what my Compact is doing. Amazing how clear the sound is in many areas of the room. Without being over powering or "blasting" ears.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Bose S1

I went to Guitar Center today and gave it a test. It will be available for purchase Thursday. By professional gear standards it’s more of a prosumer product. Some might call it a toy because of its diminutive size. The knobs are plastic and somewhat flimsy. The soft touch plastic casing seems like it would not hold up well to many drops. But, the sound quality was surprisingly good for its size, as some would expect.

From what I can garner, it is equivalent in performance to the Mackie FreePlay that some of us have. The battery is simple enough to install. The form factor is more conventional and convenient than the Mackie. And, the fixed gain issues with he Mackie are not present in the Bose product. The Mackie has an 8” speaker and likely more power. But, I did not perceive the Mackie to be louder, likely because you can’t get enough gain from it.

I will add that if you like the sound of the L1C, you will probably like this product. The sound match presets work as expected. It sounds like a little L1C.

I will predict that they will apply the same mixer concept to the L1C when it is eventually updated. Their literature indicates that they expect you to buy two and use them with the new ToneMatch mixers in a conventional PA setup. I would not entertain that possibility, personally. I would spend that money on QSC K8.2s and a TouchMix.

Would someone sell their discontinued Mackie FreePlay for this unit? Not necessarily, in my opinion. I probably would, but I have a gear problem. That said, I would buy this before the Fishman Charge product. This product is NOT a substitute for pro sound gear. It’s a substitute for prosumer products like the Mackie FreePlay. It appears the designer’s intent is for it to sound great, make a huge profit margin, but not hold up to life on the road.

It’s a neat little box and it’s on my birthday list, which is coming up. Hint hint. :-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-23-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

a neat little box and it’s on my birthday list, which is coming up. Hint hint. :-)
Nice...Thanks for the review.
How's the low end on these?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Nice...Thanks for the review.
How's the low end on these?

Same as the Mackie FreePlay. Good - as long as you realize it’s a 6” speaker and set your expectations accordingly. If you compare to a QSC K8.2, you’ll be disappointed. This is great for home use and light gig use.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 PM

Sounds like it won't be much of an upgrade for me and most of us. And the plastic body scares me a little because I don't wanna ruin a $700 purchase just by a small accident! Thanks for testing it out and sharing the info!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Same as the Mackie FreePlay. Good - as long as you realize it’s a 6” speaker and set your expectations accordingly. If you compare to a QSC K8.2, you’ll be disappointed. This is great for home use and light gig use.
Good to hear... I had the Freeplay for a short time and was impressed with the bass response.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
If you are really interested in more bottom end and are willing to take on a mod, search Cube street speaker mod or similar. There is at least one youtube that goes through the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbYAX82AKrM

You will get more bass from the replacement speakers. I think it comes at the expense of a less balanced output overall but that is, of course, a matter of opinion. And remember bass requires watts. Which requires power. With 8 AAs you can only go so far even with a speaker mod.

If there is magic involved, Bose will be there to provide it.

hunter

I have two Street Cube Ex units, and I replaced the speakers with the Jensens in the video. Yes, it was quite an improvement in the sound, especially with the low frequencies.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
It's a pity there isn't an EQ knob for mids and there isn't a 8" woofer + 5 articulated cones version!
I like your version better too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 AM

Hi Dave,

Did the sound went further in the room than with the freeplay?

If it is as loud as the freeplay at 1m but louder at 5m or 10m then you definitely gain something.

I don't see people pay twice the price of the mackie just for a form factor and input gain. knowing you will also lose the cellphone remote control feature from mackie.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-24-2018, 12:44 AM

I can’t see how stacking three 2.5” speakers could qualify as an array. This surely has the same basic dispersion characteristics as a basic 2 way PA box.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I can’t see how stacking three 2.5” speakers could qualify as an array. This surely has the same basic dispersion characteristics as a basic 2 way PA box.
That's true... But neither L1 compact is an array. What bugs me is the auto-EQ feature.

I just wonder if once tilted, they put the speaker aiming to the ground out of phase, to align the sound that is that is reflected on the floor with the osund radiating directly to the listener...

It would require separate amp stages... which is not a big deal at that power with all the IC amp dedicated for dolby 5.1 that can power multiple speakers.

If it is just EQ you don't gain much.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-24-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
That's true... But neither L1 compact is an array. What bugs me is the auto-EQ feature.

I just wonder if once tilted, they put the speaker aiming to the ground out of phase, to align the sound that is that is reflected on the floor with the osund radiating directly to the listener...

It would require separate amp stages... which is not a big deal at that power with all the IC amp dedicated for dolby 5.1 that can power multiple speakers.

If it is just EQ you don't gain much.
Maybe they’ve got little servo motors in there that change the two ‘wing’ speakers aimed direction. I doubt that but who knows?

Comes down to it, a design along the lines of the Mackie Reach seems to be the most interesting of the modern design cannon. This little Bose doesn’t really have any exciting new features that makes it jump off the page screaming ‘buy me!’.
It really does read to be a more powerful, more expensive Freeplay, which was pretty clearly priced on the high side as it was.

If the battery really is 25v/18ah and $99, it’ll be the first bargain priced Bose badged item ever. So there’s that....
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification