The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Default Any Seymour Duncan Magmic SA-6 users here?

If so, what has been your experience with them? Has anyone successfully recorded with one?
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm55 View Post
If so, what has been your experience with them? Has anyone successfully recorded with one?
Yes I've been pretty successful recording with it although I've been using the Rare Earth Blend more lately. They are VERY similar sonically.

Can't provide a clip of the Duncan but here's a couple of the Rare Earth Blend. I think you can draw "some" conclusions as they're indeed very similar.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
Old 09-10-2010, 02:09 PM

I had one, but I found I barely ever ran the mic in live situations. It added to much boxiness, like speaking into cupped hands (best way I can describe it),

It's a nice sound, very full with a big bottom end and nice round highs, but I didn't like having the battery in the guitar, and the other way involved soldering to the pickup to run the watch batteriesm and had too many compromises for my liking, as in the battery life was considerably less and the setup was more fragile after the modification.
It has some noticeable effect on the unplugged tone of the guitar.

I went from the Magmic, to the Sunrise with an outboard preamp,which I still use sometimes, to the much less invasive rechargeable MiSi Duo, which I use in conjunction with a K&K under the soundboard, and pretty much get the sound I was hoping to get with the magnetic/mic combination on the MagMic.

Still a great option just for the awesome magnetic tone, if you don't mind having the battery inside your guitar.

St

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 09-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. Joseph, you were not kidding when you said you've been pretty successful. I would be thrilled to get the kind of recording fidelity you have, from only a magmic.

Are you saying that that track is only the Rare Earth Blend? What kind of guitar do you have? Any other information pertaining to the recording would be of interest.

I should add that I have a SA-6, although I have not really used it yet in any extensive way, and was curious about how well it was working for others.

Last edited by gmm55; 09-10-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Joseph, you were not kidding when you said you've been pretty successful. I would be thrilled to get the kind of recording fidelity you have, from only a magmic.

Are you saying that that track is only the Rare Earth Blend? What kind of guitar do you have? Any other information pertaining to the recording would be of interest.

I should add that I have a SA-6, although I have not really used it yet in any extensive way, and was curious about how well it was working for others.
Hey gmm,

Yes both clips are Rare Earth Blend only. The first clip is direct to Pro Tools via a D-Tar Soltice Pre. The other (more Fx's laden) track is direct to Pro Tools through an Axe-Fx.

They're really simple tracks with no hocus pocus. There might have been a touch of reverb on the first track but not much. The second track was a demo of the Axe-Fx hence the overly heavy verb and delay. The rest was just paying attention to what the system was giving me and as always adjusting my right hand to accommodate.

The guitar most likely was my Breedlove 000.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Well, I tried an ultra quick recording of the magmic into my Firebox/CubaseLE4, and I would say the sound has a long way to go, but you have inspired me to continue down this path rather than attempting to close mic again. I would be very happy to get something close to your sound quality level without much fuss. How much of an effect do you think the D-tar plays in the quality of your sound? Do you think any audio interface should provide similar results?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM

This isn't a magmic recording, but it's my MiSi magnetic and K&K dual source, and it was done live, so a little of the guitar is bleeding into the vocal mic (though barely any), just to show the best sound I've achieved with direct recording a mag pickup.
Exit Ramp

...ignore my attempts at singing.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
This isn't a magmic recording, but it's my MiSi magnetic and K&K dual source, and it was done live, so a little of the guitar is bleeding into the vocal mic (though barely any), just to show the best sound I've achieved with direct recording a mag pickup.
Exit Ramp

...ignore my attempts at singing.
Rick! Your playing AND singing are stellar! Thanks for always sharing your experiences with us!

Regards,

SpruceTop

P.S. Are you or were you ever a weight-lifter or bodybuilder?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 AM

Hi Sprucetop, thanks for the kind words!
I used to compete in powerlifting and highland games, and it was always my ambition to try my hand at strongman stuff, but reccuring bouts of glandular fever (mono) have kept me out of the gym for over a year now. How about you?

Sorry for the OT!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
Hi Sprucetop, thanks for the kind words!
I used to compete in powerlifting and highland games, and it was always my ambition to try my hand at strongman stuff, but reccuring bouts of glandular fever (mono) have kept me out of the gym for over a year now. How about you?

Sorry for the OT!
Hi Rick,

Over 20 years ago, I participated in competitive bodybuilding on a regional basis and had some success in winning my class at various shows. If you were to see me now, you'd never believe the difference in my appearance. I just don't have the time to train like I did years ago when I was young and single.

I had mono back when I was a freshman at university and it did me in for several months but I got better and so will you. All the best and hope you will once again train for powerlifting and highland games!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Joseph, I am curious to know what sample rate you used for the mixing of the first track. Did you use 44.1, or did you sample higher and convert down during mastering? I am just starting to learn more about these things, and am interested in what you did, by virtue of having heard the recording.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Joseph, I am curious to know what sample rate you used for the mixing of the first track. Did you use 44.1, or did you sample higher and convert down during mastering? I am just starting to learn more about these things, and am interested in what you did, by virtue of having heard the recording.

Hey gmm55,

I'm sure it was 24 bit, 44.1. We've tested sample rate sessions for 15 or more years now and I'll never be convinced that 48 or 96k sounds better or worse than 44.1. Please don't get caught up in that merry-go-round

Learn recording fundamentals (eq, compression ect) and leave that sample rate insanity in the dust where it belongs!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Good advice. I have been reading a lot lately while on the hunt for the elusive sample rate truth, and have come to the conclusion that a definitive universal answer that takes all SRC's and AD converters into consideration, cannot be had. However, you might be pleased to know that I will accept yours as the last word on the matter, largely due to the quality of your recording. Even as an mp3 soundclick file, it is impressive, and more so when one considers the simplicity of your recording setup. I was curious enough to put the song on CD, to hear it through my main rig, Tannoy Windsor's (folded horns with 15" Gold DC's), Bryston 2B, and an Arcam Alpha 6 player, and it stood up there admirably.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 PM

One other thing, I happened upon a post of yours in another forum strongly recommending a 31 band EQ for amplified acoustic guitar. I plan on running my piezo equipped guitar (or alternatively the magmic) into a D-Tar Mama Bear, into an audio interface running into the computer.

Although your advice seemed more for live settings, do you think an external EQ would help my recorded sound? If so, where in the signal chain should it go?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 AM

Why use an external eq unless its a top notch eq or channel strip? There are many many great eq plugins that will more than suffice. Parametric is the only way to go for recorded or live but a 31band graphic will do for live though usually its used as a feedback buster depending on the room.

JP

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification