The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Hi Steve, Thanks for the heads up. The one I’m looking at is an infinium series and is $200. I was thinking the savings would allow me to replace tubes and speaker and be closer to cost of new. But waiting a week for post Christmas sales might be doable. If the used option is that risky
Old 12-17-2018, 09:54 PM

Um, pardon my suspicion but unless the seller is a total headbanger I'm curious why he/she is unloading a relatively-recent/very affordable/solidly-built/good-sounding all-tube amp at a loss - IME it'll cover anything short of death metal, and even if he/she is upgrading it still makes a great home/rehearsal/small-gig rig...

As far as upgrades are concerned, I'll reiterate that you don't need to replace the current Turbosound speaker unless you're looking for a specific tone (and know exactly how to get it - tube brands/ratings, speaker frequency range/response/efficiency, etc. - before you make the changes). If you (or your S.O.) have finely-honed negotiating skills, FYI you can bring this one in closer to $300 than $400 out-the-door - IME the big-box stores will usually give you an additional 15% with relatively little effort, more if you catch them on the right day - which will still allow you to upgrade the tubes and remain close to the generally-advertised street price; FYI I've been using this setup for the last nine years with great success:

https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v22-premium-package

FWIW these guys have across-the-board sales every so often - 10-40% depending on time of year and specific product line (BTW these are their house brand and included in most promos) - so it might pay to be a little patient, work with what you have (and break in the speaker in the process), and take advantage when the opportunity presents itself...
Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 PM

Having had many great tube amps I'm very impressed with the Fender Champion 20 and 40. The 20 needs a better speaker but the inexpensive Jensen Mod works well.

I would choose the SF PR reissue over the '65. It comes stock with many of the mods commonly done to the vintage amps.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:57 AM

Hi,

if you want versatility and are unsure of the flavor of amp you like, I’d go for a well-reputed modeling amp. I had a hybrid (tube/digital) Super Champ X2 which I loved. Great tones to be had! but was a bit underpowered for playing with a drummer and not quite as practical as the others below. Still, it taught me a lot about the main amp flavors. Old Mustangs have a deservedly good reputation – once you dial them in, and it’s not rocket science, they sound good. A Youtuber named Shane DiIorio has created and demoed a lot of great presets that you can download in one click to your amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RME6...-ZqLIS9daaiXhg

The newer Mustang GT series is not as well-loved.

I never tried a Katana, but have read only good things about them.

Advantages of going this route: you’ll be able to learn about various amp flavors, have a lot of effects without braking the bank, and have a very practical solution (light and low maintenance) that you can gig with, at low price.

If the bug bites, there will be time to go down the rabbit-hole of buying tube amps, pedals etc etc (which is where I am since I sold my SCX2 )
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 AM

Default Overwhelmed by purchase of first amp.

Just get a Princeton or Deluxe, they offer excellent sound, character, and are simple to use. If you need some dirt, find a pedal.

I have gigged for over forty years, and owned an Ampeg VT22, Musicman 65 , Mesa Boogie Mk4 and others. Most of them were good amps, but it wasn't until I got bought a Silver Face Deluxe Reverb that I understood just how good a Fender tube amp can sound. Currently I have a 1967 BF Vibrolux and 1964 BF Princeton.

There are a plethora of amps out there, but if you want to start from solid base of proven good tone and reliability, it would be hard to go wrong with a Fender Deluxe or Princeton.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 12-18-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I had a small fender mustang that i really liked but found it too complicated and overwhelming due to its computer connectivity and endless tweaking opportunities. I had a lovely Blues jr years ago but was really too loud for the house. I now have a small newish Fender champion 20 which is perfect for my needs. Has reverb and delay and so forth with aux in for play along and headphone jack for private playing. Simple dials and enough for me.
I also had a Fender Mustang II modeling amp that was too overwhelming for me, too many options. I recently just purchased a new Blues Junior IV and am now in a whole different world of tone.

I would simply suggest a small tube amp of your choice. Even when you can reach the big box stores, good luck being able to hear it with all the other pickers. You have to go early in the morning on a weekday around here.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-19-2018, 06:10 PM

I think that if you go for a tube amp the suggestions above are great. Unless you have some very specific tastes, a blackface/silverface could be a great choice – a Princeton or Deluxe depending on how many watts and how much headroom you want.

But IME there is no reason why “too many knobs” should be a problem on a modeler. In my experience, both with the Super Champ and the Mustang, after a couple (fun) weeks fiddling and getting to know the various sounds (“aha, is a tweed bassman supposed to sound more or less like this?”) I’ve settled on 2-3 presets and enjoyed them, plus the variety of good usable effects I had without buying additional pedals. The rest of the sounds in the amp were there months later when I wanted to try something different and specific.

If you want some flexibility but really hate the idea of hooking your amp to your computer, I’d really recommend you try a Super Champ X2. It’s less “computer-dependent” than a Mustang and has a lot of good, genuine sounds in it (especially the classic Blackface models, some Tweeds, and the Vox). You can buy one used for very little.

But again… a straightforward tube amp is also a wonderful thing.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I finally got an Amp. I decided to get the Katana 50. In part for the fact that it was the cheapest off all of my options I was considering. And I like the idea of all the on board effects that ca help me lean about amp tones and get a better feel for what I like. So at this point all in with the Toranado and and katana it’s 1/3 of the cost of the guitar I thought I needed. And I’m very pleased to be under budget for a change. Now I just need to figure out how to wok this thing.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:36 AM

If you haven’t checked out Quilter, I highly suggest doing so. I took a chance and bought an 8” Micro Pro Mach 2 and my search for the perfect guitar amp was over. I can’t dial in a bad tone no matter how hard I try and it’s versatility continues to blow me away. You wouldn’t believe how loud this amp gets with only an 8” speaker. Only amp needed to play any show shy of a sold out arena.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburned View Post

I’m looking at og 65’ Princeton , also the reissue version, headstrong lil King, or ,,,,?
I've had many great amps. Fenders, Vox, Marshall and Victorias.

The '65 Princeton RI is one of my favorites of all time. It's a great amp!

Two of my golden eared friends agreed and are using them professionally.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I've had many great amps. Fenders, Vox, Marshall and Victorias.

The '65 Princeton RI is one of my favorites of all time. It's a great amp!

Two of my golden eared friends agreed and are using them professionally.
I also have seen people gigging Princetons and sounding great. For small venues, it has enough horsepower. For larger ones, they mike it.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
I also had a Fender Mustang II modeling amp that was too overwhelming for me, too many options. I recently just purchased a new Blues Junior IV and am now in a whole different world of tone.

I would simply suggest a small tube amp of your choice. Even when you can reach the big box stores, good luck being able to hear it with all the other pickers. You have to go early in the morning on a weekday around here.
Yep, although I love my Fender Mustang and the options it gives me even if I don't use them all. (Will always be a keeper).

Now to add that Fender Blues Junior valve amp I've been dreaming of so I can have the best of both solid state and tube amp worlds.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:56 PM

Hard to go wrong with an original or clone of a champ, princeton or deluxe.

Recent CL scored a MuchXs champ 5f1 with a 6x9 great amp for a steal. Also have a couple of old pa's and with a wee bit of bench time they are very nice: One is a se6L6 princeton like and another is similar to a pp6v6 octal deluxe, old oddball 5c1 and se el84. All of these have been well within your budget with bench time included.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars