The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Default Why 2 G-Strings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHKTTx8iv30&t=49s

Correct me if I am wrong but she is using a Ukulele? If I am right, why 2 G strings? And yes I asked under the video comments but who knows when or if she will even answer.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Found this video for an explanation -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWTlSrep_o

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Default Why 2 G-Strings?

Tuned in octaves like a 12-string guitar, gives the benefits of both drop-G and re-entrant tuning as well as creating some interesting close-voiced chording possibilities for advanced players; I've also seen some latter-day taropatches (an 8-string uke family instrument, tuned GCEA as four unison courses, that enjoyed some limited popularity during the 1920's) with the lowest two (occasionally three) strings tuned in octaves - sounds a bit like a tiple but mellower, thanks to the nylon strings - as well as six-string instruments that have two sets of strings either doubled or tuned in octaves...
Old 11-07-2018, 06:15 AM

This is generally refered to as a five string ukulele. I owned a Compass Rose for while made by Rick Turner. As Steve pointed out the fifth string is low G and fourth string is high G matching the others as reenrrant tuning. Think of a normal reentrant strung ukulele with a low G string added. It does give a much more complex and chimey sound compared to a standard 4 string ukulele.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 AM

I would like to get my hands on one; I specifically like the one that Taimane uses but hers is over 1k and right now can't justify paying over $500 let alone 1k for a Ukulele.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments