The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2002, 09:06 PM

Unhappy my 614ce in the PA for the first time

well. it RECORDS amazingly. but today i had it on a standard PA, with standard JBL speakers i think and a mackie subwoofer.. it gave me NOTHING. now i know that there are sound considerations concerning the monitors and the speakers and course now i'm comparing to my martin dread (bye bye i miss you so much) but i really pushed the pic on those strings and not only did the guitar and strings sound dead (fairly new DR's) but when i pushed the bottom end and the lower strings on more edgy songs, it gave me NOTHING no bite nothing... i was so sad... ahhhh welll........ hmmmm.... hahehe my drummer mentioned that it could be the blender, which i agree, the blender didn't HELP the situation, but I am thoroughly disappointed after hearing that 614ce play plugged in really well, due to their tendency not to get muddy or give boomy feedback probs... but the guitar gave me nothing when i pushed it. looks like it's turning out that the 614ce may not be the performance guitar suited for my style of playing... goodness i need to find me one of those handy 810celtds...

anyone have any comments about their 614ce plugged in to PA's/sound systems or 614ce's they've heard and their sonic impressions? Thanks -Bunnygirl

ps. simper.. you around? or are you down and out with a cold?
614CE (regret selling this one big-time)

Last edited by bunnygirl; 10-22-2002 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I don't have a 614ce, but I have worked with a couple of Taylor x14s and have found that the bass end is not huge. I have tried on both the Fishman and a console but I haven't been able to get much bass by boosting.

On the other hand, you might try thinking backwards. If you want some boom, rather than boosting, try cutting the mids or lower mids to emphasize the bass. This could also make it easier to get some bite. Be aware that a pushed subwoofer will greatly increase your chances of cavity resonance feedback.

HERE is the manual for the Fishman Stereo Blender which deals with feedback suppression (p. 6-7).

Hope you work it out!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-23-2002, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Womack
On the other hand, you might try thinking backwards. If you want some boom, rather than boosting, try cutting the mids or lower mids to emphasize the bass. This could also make it easier to get some bite.

Bob
I would agree with Bob's advice. On my DDSM (maple back and sides) I find that I have to keep the bass even, cut the mids, and boost the trebles just a bit to get a good sound in our church. Cutting the mids eliminated feedback and let me turn it up to get the bass and bite that I wanted.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:43 AM

I have had both 614CE and currently the 610 without the cut and electronics and I found the 614 CE lacking in bottom. The bite problem and cut however is a string issue. I use medium Elixer Nano's (much better sound to my ear) on the new dread maple I replaced my 614 with . You get all the benefits of the maple without the downside. When you cut away a maple guitar you loose something, there are those who argue but the hard disk recorder don't lie and I have recorded both and found the former lacking compared to the latter (610 dreadnougth no cut , matrix)

I am still waiting for a decent pickup system , I had mine built with the matrix only so when someone comes up with someting as good as condensor miking sound I will be ready and wont have to get rid of my guitar cause the pickup is wrong.

Hey just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:52 AM

Stixx,

You've seen the I-Beam sound comparisons on the Baggs site, right? There's some loss of detail with the I-Beam over the Neumann's, but it's very clean sounding, and very usable going guitar to PADI to recorder. Certainly far better than any under-saddle going direct.

Lots of folks around here like the B-Band AST too, but I read in one of the threads that it has a little floor noise, which keeps me favoring the I-Beam for direct recording.

-Kent
Old 10-23-2002, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up Kraus, I do not dissagree on your enthusiam for the I beam. I am close to trying it in one of my two finer guitars.

I know with the I beam I haven't killed my guitar by trying it and I will be haveing to play acoustic in a very loud venue soon so I am going to have to consider something other than the matrix , althought I have used them in the past live with no real drama. Just have to put a volume pedal in the line to the PA . I used my 514 that way for years and it worked fine when you have a good sound man who understands acoustics . When you don't your tone is gonna suck. But I digress.

The Maple is arguably the best big box geetar I have ever owned and other than my Collings OM 2 which has a very good sweet tone and records well too it is my main acoustic axe.

Later
Old 10-24-2002, 09:50 AM

I haven't had any issues with my 614ce and I play plugged in at least once, sometimes twice a week.

I learned alot reading the owners manual for the Fishman prefix blender. Unlike my Alvarez pre-amp, the Fishman is NOT instinctual. I really had to learn how eveything worked before I could perfect the sound. I think I have mune set where I like it...

I have bass set at 70%, Mid at 30%, treble at 60%, Notch at about 2-3 o'clock, volume at about 2-3 o'clock the little button at the lower left switched to the down position, blender all the way to the pickup side and frequency all the way to the top. I make small adjustments every time, but I usually push the sound man to make the biggest changes.

I got to hear someone else play my guitar last week when it was plugged in and it sounded great.

Don't give up, mess around wiht the settings and things will get better...if not, take it to a luthier than they'll make sure the guts look good/repair it so it sounds good.

614CE Quilted, Amber

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification