The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2002, 08:33 AM

Default Sonic Foundry Acid

Does anyone have any experience using Acid to create drum sounds for recordings?

David
Old 10-21-2002, 01:03 PM

I've heard some strange sounds on acid. Seen some weird stuff too.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:00 PM

Hi David,

I have Acid 3.0. The only thing I don't like is that you don't get very many samples with Acid itself, and the add-on discs are around $40 each. But once you do get samples you like it's very easy to use. Just point, click, drag, and then you can edit everything on top of that. It's also nice because you can dump your basic tracks in, and then build a drum track around that, which is pretty helpful for someone like me who writes the guitar parts first. 3.0 also has effects (not the best out there), and an intuitive workspace, much like Sonic Foundry's multi-track progam Vegas.

I'll admit I don't use it much, as most of my stuff is just guitar or guitar/vocals. But for the songs I've used it on, it's nice and gets the job done easily. In fact, for the 2nd TGF CD I'm planning on submitting a song with drums done in Acid. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:49 PM

Noflatpick,

You AND Mapletrees have probably seen some weird stuff on acid

Ihs,

How do you synch up the tracks that you record to the drum parts in Acid? Do you reccord using the Acid software or something else? I have a pretty nice set up with a Korg D-1600. I can pull songs or tracks out of the D-1600 and drop them in my computer, but I still don't know the best way to synch everything up.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

David
Old 10-22-2002, 07:54 AM

Hi David,

The way I do it (and I'm sure this isn't the only, or best, way) is to build up a rough drum part in Acid, then record in Vegas using that as my "base". Typically all I'll have is a simple snare/kick loop with the timing that I'm shooting for (such as 120 bpm). Then I just drag that loop out for 5 or 6 minutes and save it as a .wav file. I dump that file into Vegas and then record the guitar/vocals while playing back the drum part. It's really just a glorified metronome, but it allows me to keep perfect time with the tempo I'm going to be using for the drums.

After I've got the guitars/vocals finished, I dump them into Acid and finalize the drum part around the rest of the song, adding cymbals, fills, etc. Once the drum part is finished I mix all of the drums (making sure to delete the guitar/vocal tracks) to a .wav file. Then I can do final mixing/mastering in Vegas with the finished drum .wav file and the various guitar/vocal parts already recorded.

The thing I like about all this is that once I record something, it's there to stay, meaning I can make as many changes as I want to a file in Vegas or Acid, but it only changes the Vegas/Acid file, not the underlying .wav file. This way if I end up needing to drastically alter a finished file, I can just reopen the original .wav file and edit from there, as opposed to having to unwind all the changes I've made already.

Hopefully this makes a little sense, and isn't too confusing. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try and answer them.

BTW, glad to hear your performance at Borders went well.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:43 AM

Ihs,

Thanks for the help. Yes it made sense. There's no specific midi synchronization. Just matching the .wav files together by bpm, and then letting Acid do its stuff. This is correct?

BTW, I checked out your photos. The last photo in your album shows you sitting with Doyle Dykes and wearing a UNC hat. As an NC State grad I have to suggest you get a new hat

Thanks again,

David
Old 10-23-2002, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by david_m
Thanks for the help. Yes it made sense. There's no specific midi synchronization. Just matching the .wav files together by bpm, and then letting Acid do its stuff. This is correct?
Hi David,

Glad to see it made sense. As you stated, there's no midi synchronization. I just record everything at the same tempo by listening to the Acid drum loops as I record. This even helps when I'm recording something that isn't going to have drums, as it requires me to keep on-tempo and not get too loose with my timing. This way if I want to add an orchestra loop, or re-record a part, it's easy since the timing is constant.

In Acid,
-find a loop you like
-set the tempo (bpm) to what you want
-drag the loop out as far time-wise as you need
-render that as a .wav file
-play the .wav file back as you record (I do this by opening it as a new track in Vegas, as I can then reduce the volume, change the panning, etc.)

You then have all your recorded pieces matched up to the tempo of your drum parts. You can always go back and change the drum loops, as long as you keep the bpm's and time signature the same as the original loop you recorded to.

Quote:
As an NC State grad I have to suggest you get a new hat.
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll make sure and wear my light blue UNC hat next time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification