The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-16-2020, 01:54 AM

Default Magical performance experience

Today I had a magical playing experience to share. Last year we heard Guy Clarke's song "The Cape" at a jam after a festival. The guy who played it described it as the nicest song he's ever heard and we agreed. It immediately reminded us of our youngest son.

Eight months ago I decided to learn the song to play at his 30th birthday which is/was today. It's by far the hardest song I've learned and I've played it hundreds of times in preparation for the big day today. It was also the song that started me using a thumb pick and proved to me I have good thumb independence.

The performance of the song at his party went very very well. It was a larger crowd than I expected and I had a little bit of performance anxiety to deal with. As I was playing it to him his 6 month old daughter was captivated by the sound and kept looking up at me with the cutest of big blue eyes. It was all I could do to keep my composure.

All the hard work definitely paid off today, talk about one of those experiences that makes all the hard work and practice very much worth it.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:56 AM

What a great story! Congratulations.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
What a great story!
I totally agree! That is a very cool story and hopefully someone got a video of the moment.

So now that the 30th birthday is over, shouldn't you start working on your tune for his 40th? Time is ticking....
Old 08-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting... your story is encouraging WRT practicing...

-Mike
Old 08-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
I totally agree! That is a very cool story and hopefully someone got a video of the moment.

So now that the 30th birthday is over, shouldn't you start working on your tune for his 40th? Time is ticking....
Haha, I've only been playing guitar for 8 years, never ever thought 10 years ahead. I am open for suggestions for a 40th birthday song.

We've got 2 separate videos of it, haven't look at them yet, there's that thing where I sometimes cringe and the sound of my recorded voice and i just want to relish the warmth of my current memory of the moment for a bit longer.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Nice story, and a great song. Sounds like you put it out there and trusted your cape.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
Nice story, and a great song. Sounds like you put it out there and trusted your cape.
That really brought a smile to my face. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Well done !

There is much magic in Guy Clark's lyrics!

Hey folks, I'm now offering one to one lessons/meetings via Zoom! See: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=589058

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 08-17-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Awesome! Great thing about that song is you can play it for birthdays 5 to 105 and it always applies!
Old 08-17-2020, 09:55 PM

That's awesome.

All it takes is one person to show appreciation to make it all worth it.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Today I had a magical playing experience to share. Last year we heard Guy Clarke's song "The Cape" at a jam after a festival. The guy who played it described it as the nicest song he's ever heard and we agreed. It immediately reminded us of our youngest son.

Eight months ago I decided to learn the song to play at his 30th birthday which is/was today. It's by far the hardest song I've learned and I've played it hundreds of times in preparation for the big day today. It was also the song that started me using a thumb pick and proved to me I have good thumb independence.

The performance of the song at his party went very very well. It was a larger crowd than I expected and I had a little bit of performance anxiety to deal with. As I was playing it to him his 6 month old daughter was captivated by the sound and kept looking up at me with the cutest of big blue eyes. It was all I could do to keep my composure.

All the hard work definitely paid off today, talk about one of those experiences that makes all the hard work and practice very much worth it.
Many congrats. This is what it's all about.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:01 PM

Awesome. It makes it all worth it even if it's just one person who appreciates you. My 7 year old's facetime friend just told her I'm a good guitar player. Little does she know lol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write