The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #241  
Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 AM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default















__________________
build, learn, grow
  #242  
Old 04-05-2016, 07:11 AM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default

The plug shape is done, and now in the first sealer clear coat.

__________________
build, learn, grow
  #243  
Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 AM
Glenn23 Glenn23 is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 239
Default

Before you commit to making negative molds it might be a good idea to find out what neck profile is the most popular. I'm not sure how you might find out what most peole like, other than asking around, but I find the flat backed neck, more often seen on classical guitars, to be uncomfortable.
Otherwise, the mold looks nice and tight.
  #244  
Old 04-05-2016, 04:52 PM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn23 View Post
Before you commit to making negative molds it might be a good idea to find out what neck profile is the most popular. I'm not sure how you might find out what most peole like, other than asking around, but I find the flat backed neck, more often seen on classical guitars, to be uncomfortable.
Otherwise, the mold looks nice and tight.
Yeah, that`s a valid point. I think a lot of people like a C shape, but i also don`t know how you would find out exactly.

This has a small flat strip on the back to slide your thumb on, and good eye for detecting that on the pictures. ^_^

I guess the Hybrid 2 neck would fall under D shape on this picture i found online :



These 8 units will have a 12 inch fretboard radius.
__________________
build, learn, grow

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-05-2016 at 04:57 PM.
  #245  
Old 04-05-2016, 05:17 PM
LouieAtienza LouieAtienza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,617
Default

C shape pretty good all around shape. D maybe better suited to fingerstyle/classical. Are you making these removable necks? Form looks good...
  #246  
Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 PM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
C shape pretty good all around shape. D maybe better suited to fingerstyle/classical. Are you making these removable necks? Form looks good...
I thought about a 1 mold system with interchangable necks, but that is too complicated to make without CNC.
__________________
build, learn, grow
  #247  
Old 04-06-2016, 04:33 PM
LouieAtienza LouieAtienza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmith View Post
I thought about a 1 mold system with interchangable necks, but that is too complicated to make without CNC.
You may want to consider a pass around to a few musicians, to get some input on the neck shape, before committing to it. Just thinking in terms of target audience, which probably would be more in the flat-picking category, and there, many use the thumb for fretting. I can say from personal experience it's not too enjoyable to do on a D profile neck, unless the hands were relatively large. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

The cutaway shape is reminiscent of the Stephen's Extended Cutaway back in the 80's, designed by Stephen Davies. He actually had an acoustic and electric version, which he licensed at the time to Washburn (and which Washburn still uses on some electrics.) Kind of cool to see it in a one piece CF design. I owned a Washburn EC-29 (yes, 29-fret electric!) which featured the aforementioned cutaway.
  #248  
Old 04-07-2016, 07:19 AM
Wolfram's Avatar
Wolfram Wolfram is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
The cutaway shape is reminiscent of the Stephen's Extended Cutaway back in the 80's, designed by Stephen Davies. He actually had an acoustic and electric version, which he licensed at the time to Washburn (and which Washburn still uses on some electrics.) Kind of cool to see it in a one piece CF design. I owned a Washburn EC-29 (yes, 29-fret electric!) which featured the aforementioned cutaway.
I still have my EC-29 - very rare with red crackle finish and a monkey-grip.

I'm not sure I've ever craved quite that level of upper-fret access on acoustic, but the concept is a very, very effective way of enabling it!

And yes, I would strongly recommend getting as much feedback as you can on that neck profile. It's something really worth spending time to get right - AGF is awash with threads by people who have sold / not bought guitars that they otherwise love, just because of the neck profile. Personally, after tone, it's probably the most important thing on a guitar for me.

Cheers,
David
__________________
Wolfram

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
  #249  
Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 AM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
You may want to consider a pass around to a few musicians, to get some input on the neck shape, before committing to it. Just thinking in terms of target audience, which probably would be more in the flat-picking category, and there, many use the thumb for fretting. I can say from personal experience it's not too enjoyable to do on a D profile neck, unless the hands were relatively large. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

The cutaway shape is reminiscent of the Stephen's Extended Cutaway back in the 80's, designed by Stephen Davies. He actually had an acoustic and electric version, which he licensed at the time to Washburn (and which Washburn still uses on some electrics.) Kind of cool to see it in a one piece CF design. I owned a Washburn EC-29 (yes, 29-fret electric!) which featured the aforementioned cutaway.
The first 3 prototypes were tested by guitar players, this shape is a continuation of that model. In an ideal world i can order a CNC routed aluminium block and have a 3d modeler design an intricate mold where the necks are interchangable in the same body. Then there could be a classical width, modern neck width and many neckshapes. When this wooden plug is done, guitar players could feel it and comment, but I can`t really change it because this 10k is as good as gone. I am going with what feels comfortable to me + the feedback of the people that tested the 3 prototypes of the Hybrid 1.0.

Although the handmade mold that i am making now could do 100 bodies, this 10k loan has been made with 8 units in mind. Chances are there will be a new mold (or multiple molds with their own unique neck shapes) if i can secure an actual venture capital investment of 200k with these 8 units. I have to prove with these 8 that i can build on high consumer quality + demonstrate there is a demand for it.

The cutaway has a dual function in my design, easy access all the way to the 24th fret, but also reflect the sound out of the soundhole and soundport, Here is a movie about that : https://youtu.be/fDvsbpsCm9c?t=219
__________________
build, learn, grow

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-07-2016 at 07:45 AM.
  #250  
Old 04-09-2016, 07:24 AM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default

Armbevel bending box progress :



Leveling everything.



Very tricky procedure to make sure the slope is gradual and at the right heights in the right places.







2 millimeter aluminium sheet (still has protective foil on).



The setup now.



I am thinking of putting some aluminium square bars directly on top of the heating element 90 degrees on the bend (the same line as that 45 degree wooden piece). This would connect the heating element with the plate and distribute heat better, the center will be hot enough, but i`m still slightly concerned about the edges.
__________________
build, learn, grow
  #251  
Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 PM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,115
Default

Don't think you will get the results you want with that heater. I don't think the bevel is a good idea as it dampens the top but if you are going to do it try using a clothes iron, you have the added benefit of steam and it is an even heat. You probably want another curved support under the top in the middle of your curved area.
__________________
Fred
  #252  
Old 04-09-2016, 06:15 PM
lizzard lizzard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodstock, Illinois
Posts: 1,418
Default

Now if THIS isn't why the forum exists...

You can do it. Just keep working at it and ignore (but hear some of) the nay-sayers.

Chris
__________________
The Electrics check

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red (due 2020)
Ovation - 1712 Custom Balladeer, 1988. Cleated Sitka over carbon/fiber/plastic yada yada - Campfire Baby!!!
  #253  
Old 04-09-2016, 07:06 PM
LouieAtienza LouieAtienza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,617
Default

Michael Doolin made guitars with bent top arm rests. I don't remember any complaints about the sound or workmanship of his guitars!
  #254  
Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 AM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Don't think you will get the results you want with that heater. I don't think the bevel is a good idea as it dampens the top but if you are going to do it try using a clothes iron, you have the added benefit of steam and it is an even heat. You probably want another curved support under the top in the middle of your curved area.
Yes, i just did the first test and the water does not vaporise (not hot enough). I ordered the aluminium bars, i hope that fixes it.

I suspect that the plate is dissapating or absorbing too much heat. The far corner can be touched, that is not good, that means the heat is being taken away from the desired area. I did get an aluminium router bit, i might have to to cut it off behind the 45 degree line, and put wood there...

When the wood is bent, i will put 1 layer of carbon fiber, only in the bent area, under the soundboard. This will help retain the shape and help with impact protection. I`m gonna try to make 2 guitars with spruce soundboard, 1 with the bend and 1 without, keep the rest virtually identical to compare what it does to the sound. I have to do this in the beginning for the decicion if it will go in the remaining 6 units or not.
__________________
build, learn, grow

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-10-2016 at 07:06 AM.
  #255  
Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 AM
littlesmith littlesmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Now if THIS isn't why the forum exists...

You can do it. Just keep working at it and ignore (but hear some of) the nay-sayers.

Chris
Thank you, i`m trying.
__________________
build, learn, grow
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
tools vs craftsmanship

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=