The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-26-2022, 11:34 AM

Your argument for Martin to provide a neck free reset under warranty would have been very strong since you noticed it when the guitar was 1-1/2 years old.

Your current request for a free reset on a guitar that's nearly 7 years old is much less likely to be provided.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Your argument for Martin to provide a neck free reset under warranty would have been very strong since you noticed it when the guitar was 1-1/2 years old.

Your current request for a free reset on a guitar that's nearly 7 years old is much less likely to be provided.
Well, I hear what you are saying, but it is a lifetime warranty, and it is all documented on this thread. I have also had it at the dealer a few times to see what could be done. The bridge was just sanded down until there was no more room.
Ovation fixed the only other guitar that I have ever needed warranty on, and I was not even the original owner and it was a decade old guitar.
Previously in this thread, I felt comfortable that it would be covered based on the replies from others.
I have taken steps with the dealer to keep this documented.
I have sent Martin a link to this thread.
I am confident that they will make it right.
They have a wonderful reputation of doing what's right.

Have a little faith!

Jeff
Old 05-26-2022, 12:26 PM

Your measurement photo indicates a thick bridge, since the string height off the soundboard is barely under 1/2". Reducing the saddle height while simultaneously shaving the bridge should get the action where you want.
Any objection to shaving bridges should be taken in context. Factory Martin bridges vary in thickness from 5/16" (0.312") to around 0.42". Any thick bridge can be shaved to as thin as 5/16" to achieve more saddle protrusion at the desired action.
I like to shave bridges in place, but Martin generally just replaces them with a new one.

Last edited by John Arnold; 05-26-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Your measurement photo indicates a thick bridge, since the string height off the soundboard is barely under 1/2". Reducing the saddle height while simultaneously shaving the bridge should get the action where you want.
Any objection to shaving bridges should be taken in context. Factory Martin bridges vary in thickness from 5/16" (0.312") to around 0.42". Any thick bridge can be shaved to as thin as 5/16" to achieve more saddle protrusion at the desired action.
I like to shave bridges in place, but Martin generally just replaces them with a new one.
Those pictures are almost 6 years old. It has shifted more. There have been several adjustments made at the dealer when it probably should have gone back when it was less than a year old.
I can't provide current photos because Martin has the guitar.
I am not sure if a thinner bridge will fix the issue.
I have never considered shaving a bridge before.
I guess that is better than an unplayable instrument.

I am still confident Martin will come through for me.

Does anyone care to guess what Martin estimated my cost to be to make the guitar playable again? I'm betting you will be shocked!

I'm not providing that information just yet because I think there has been some miscommunication and I'm giving them the opportunity to make good on their lifetime warranty, but I am interested in your best guesses!

Jeff
Old 05-26-2022, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

When my nearly new Martin needed a neck reset, I took it to my local authorized repair shop. My local shop became my advocate to convince Martin to cover the work. You may want to engage your local authorized repair shop to both speed the repair and advocate for you.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
When my nearly new Martin needed a neck reset, I took it to my local authorized repair shop. My local shop became my advocate to convince Martin to cover the work. You may want to engage your local authorized repair shop to both speed the repair and advocate for you.
That's what I did, in a way. My dealer's repairman told Martin it needed a reset. They said to send it in. Then, several weeks later, they agree that it needs a reset and sent a very expensive estimate saying it isn't covered by the warranty and also asking me to sign off that the repairs "would be visible".

I was disappointed, to say the least, after waiting all this time to get my guitar back in playable shape.

Hopefully, they will honor their warranty.
The cost is already figured into a $4000 guitar anyway.

It's sad to say, but my Mexican SC13E plays better and seems to be built with better attention to detail than any of my Nazareth models.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2022, 09:41 AM

1500 would not shock me, but that is because I have seen plenty of similar reports before.
The price for non warranty repairs at Martin are near the top of the market.
Martin did change their policy on warranty neck resets beyond a certain age, but I am not sure where the cutoff is these days.

Last edited by John Arnold; 05-27-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:37 PM

I just received a call from the Customer Repair Manager, Dave Regec, at Martin and, as I expected, they were willing to look at my case objectively. They are taking very good care of me, to say the least.
Basically, they are covering the price of the neck reset and repairs associated.
He did talk me into letting them do a few things not related to the neck reset (some fretwork and cosmetics) for a very fair price.
He was very cordial and great to talk to. He went over options in detail and we also talked about some other things. It wasn't a short phone call. He made me feel like it was important to him that I was satisfied.
From my experience, this was fantastic customer service at a very personal level that is very difficult to find these days from such a large company!

Jeff
Old 05-29-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyEarly View Post
In case anyone was wondering, I finally sent the guitar back to Martin months ago. I received a repair estimate today.
Unfortunately, I am getting some serious push-back. I will let you all know how this ends.
I am still optimistic that Martin will take care of the issue.

Jeff
Yikes! This topic is almost 6 years old?

Good luck on your "warranty" work.

My limited experience with Martin factory resets indicated to me that they include enough pricey, but mandatory, additional work that it greatly offsets the "free" neck reset. Even the warranty resets seem to be a hit-or-miss thing from what I've been reading on AGF. One day they are covered, the next day someone posts that they were told neck resets are no longer covered.

My playing partner purchased a brand new John Renbourn model and then had to add an extremely tall saddle to get the strings off the fret board and too the point where they didn't rattle when played. There was no indication that anything had moved or shifted, but there's no way it left the factory like that. I would not have added the tall saddle, but it wasn't my guitar. It also looks odd to see the saddle sticking out 1/2" above the bridge slot. I keep waiting for the bridge to lift, but luckily it hasn't done so yet.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyEarly View Post
Okay, I see examples and after learning more, it appears that my neck geometry is indeed off and my neck is now under-set. I have also noticed some top distortion near the end-pin that may have attributed to this.
This has never happened to any guitar I own. The only thing close was an ADii USA Ovation (another $4000 retail USA made acoustic) a few years back that was repaired under warranty and then sold.
I guess it's going to be another warranty issue.
I hope they honor it.

Thanks, everyone!

Jeff
Do you use himidi-packs in the sound hole by any chance?

Also, what is the humidity level in the room that you keep the guitars, and how are you measuring it?

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 08-04-2022, 04:30 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here for a while. I have digital and mechanical hygrometers all over my home. My home is constantly monitored and stays between 45-55% humidity.
I don't use the old style guitar humidifiers in the cases, but I am a fan of Boveda packs. I use 49% packs in some of my guitar cases if I think it's warranted. The guitars that stay at home wouldn't need them.
Again, about 50 guitars live with me and none of them have issues currently.
My guitar is arriving today and I hope it will be to my liking. It took quite a while to have the work completed.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2022, 05:19 PM

Well??? Did you get it back yesterday? We're all on pins and needles here.😉😁😁
How does she look/feel/play?
Also, you never disclosed what the original estimate was.🤔
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 08-07-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
Well??? Did you get it back yesterday? We're all on pins and needles here.😉😁😁
How does she look/feel/play?
Also, you never disclosed what the original estimate was.🤔
I got it and it plays amazing. Better than I ever remember. I didn't allow them to refinish or polish it, so I know it's the same guitar, but I can't see any evidence that the neck was reset. The bridge also seems to look a little different to me in shape. I wonder if they swapped out the bridge or did something else to make it play amazingly. I'll probably never know.

The original estimate was right at a grand. Maybe more with shipping and insurance.

In any case, I am happy.

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair