The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Default RainSong

Played a RainSong ws1000 today. I was disappointed in a CA guitar I played recently, so I wasn't expecting much with this. But man was I impressed with the RainSong! Great tone and playability. And the thing just BOOMED. Lots of bass. Just wondering if I'm alone?? Very intriguing little dude. Also tried a Tom Anderson electric. Wow is pretty much all I can say. Smoked the PRS guitars I've tried.

Also - played a Taylor XXX limited (not sure which one) and it almost sounded piano-ish. Killer tone and ring. But I expected that. I didn't expect the Rainsong to perform like it did. Played some duds, too - but I won't get into those.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:35 PM

Before I purchased my CA Bluegrass Performer, I had the opportunity to play a number of Rainsongs. They do have a great tone to me as well and play great. One of the things that led me to CA was that they were less expensive than the Rainsongs. Some people also say that a CA guitar has a more "wooden" sound. Had the chance to try out the hybrids, with carbon fiber top and wooden back and made overseas but didnt want to go that route. Both the CA and the Rainsong to me, share a great easy playing neck, and a very clear tone. Also love the way carbon stays in tune, can leave it for a week and come back to it. Will have to check out one of the Rainsong parlors next. They are not wood but still great well made guitars.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 AM

Sorry to be off topic, but what are "CA" guitar?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingskunk
. Some people also say that a CA guitar has a more "wooden" sound.
After comparing the two makes at Elderly I would include myself in those "some people".

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuoso
Sorry to be off topic, but what are "CA" guitar?
CA is the "other" make of all composite (= carbon / resin) guitar, with Rainsong being the, uh, other other .
Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 AM

My wife and I were shopping for a guitar last week and we both really liked the RainSong. We almost bought it. It had a wonderful tone and it played very smooth.
We ended up with a cocobolo/sitka Taylor that has an amazing articulate tone and ridiculously beautiful wood components.

Although the RainSong was a piece of art in itself. Cool shark inlays and a beautiful abalone rosette, the over all look of the guitar was tough to get past. It just has this metallic gray and black thatch work detail that leaves you scratching your head going hmmm…

It’s not like I cant get past it’s appearance, in fact I plan to purchase one someday. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find one at a decent price on e-bay next year.

steve
Old 12-31-2004, 09:19 PM

I ordered a WS1000 a couple of years ago. I had it about 3 days. It just was'nt right for me. I shipped it back. A couple of months later I ordered a new Taylor 814ce. It's my keeper. It might take a litttle more precaution maintanance, but I have a pair of D28 Martins, so I'm used to it. If I had to choose one, my Taylor will win every time.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh steve
Although the RainSong was a piece of art in itself. Cool shark inlays and a beautiful abalone rosette, the over all look of the guitar was tough to get past. It just has this metallic gray and black thatch work detail that leaves you scratching your head going hmmm…
That's the carbon fiber "grain". Helps people know that you're playing something high tech. I think it's also expensive to hide it.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:58 AM

A couple of years back I had one of the Hawaiian made WS1000's and although I loved the tone and the fact that it was a perfect guitar for Michigan's erratic humidity changes, I too could not get passed it's gaudy appearance. If you could get it without the sharks, maybe just a blank fretboard, and perhaps a paint job over the carbon than I might be a liitle more interested in keeping one.
Again, the sound was incredible, (I actually bought mine over a 614ce Taylor based entirely on tone), but the looks just don't cut it for most folks.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 AM

What is with the shark inlays?

I like the looks of both the Rainsongs and the CA's. I would like to have one someday, too. Also hope I can pick one up cheap on eBay.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh steve
We ended up with a cocobolo/sitka Taylor that has an amazing articulate tone and ridiculously beautiful wood components.
steve
My gosh. "Ridiculously beautiful wood components" is almost an understatement. I gasped when the picture appeared. That green color on your screen is my envy virus infiltrating the network. Wow. Perfect name for it, too. (also reminds me of the Great Red Spot on Jupiter)
Old 01-02-2005, 10:09 AM

I might have played a "lemon", but the Rainsong I played was absolutely horrible. The guitar need a major setup. The saddle stuck so far out of the bridge, that the tension of the strings was pulling it forward toward the neck. I have never seen a saddle that high. And the neck...... I could have surfed down it, because it was so wavy. There is no truss rod to adjust on them either ! I'll stick with wood guitars.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 01-02-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH
What is with the shark inlays?
The guy at Chuck Levin’s, who showed me the guitar, owns one and he is from Hawaii. The company is originally from Hawaii and in Hawaiian culture sharks are considered to be sacred. They moved to California to reduce shipping costs.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
I might have played a "lemon", but the Rainsong I played was absolutely horrible. The guitar need a major setup. The saddle stuck so far out of the bridge, that the tension of the strings was pulling it forward toward the neck. I have never seen a saddle that high. And the neck...... I could have surfed down it, because it was so wavy. There is no truss rod to adjust on them either ! I'll stick with wood guitars.
Have owned a half dozen or so Rainsongs and would posit that your experience was vastly atypical. I understand that a Rainsong is not for everyone, but Rainsong quality control is what I consider second to none. If you don't believe me, take a field trip to LA Guitar Sales and audition a few....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Aaaah, this thread is MORE than 10 years old!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber