The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Thumbs up Larrivee: Mahogany or Rosewood

I've sold all my guitars and have two Larrivee's available. Unfortunately both of them are 800miles away so i cant test listen to them.
The one is a Lv-05e and the other Lv-09e which is available at the same price. My personal preference is Rosewood but I would like some input from you guys. I lead worship and mostly strum with some fingerstyle.
With price not being an option, what do you like or dont like about these particular models?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 AM

Personally, I think to choose a guitar by its tonewood at a distance isn't the best way to go about making a selection. Some guitars will surprise you. I've got a Taylor 614ce (maple) and a 814ceDLx (rosewood) and folks who have heard side-by-side recordings are often confused as to which is which.

Having said that, I often play with a guy who has a Larrivee OM-03, which I believe is mahogany. And while I'm not a fan of mahogany in general, his guitar sounds awesome, at least in his hands.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Having owned several L-05s and L-09s it comes down to your personal taste and that should be the end of it...as a quick generalization between rosewood and mahogany you can expect the Lv-09 to have slightly deeper bass and more sparkling in the trebles but the mahogany will have more woody fundamentals, so a bit more clarity in some cases. I think they sound equally good but I like the extra depth rosewood adds to fingerstyle pieces so I have sold my previous l-05. I recommend the l-05 more for vocal accompaniment because it is less rich and lets the voice sound more present.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 AM

I agree with you, but i would rather go with a larrivee/martin i cant hear but know to be model that have earned its stripes over the year than some XYZBC09 from martin that i know will be replaced by another model next year.
I've made a few online purchases and have had only had positive results thus far
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 AM

I had an L-09, an older '70s Canadian model, that was truly spectacular. The rosewood was almost too resonant, though. I still have an LS-03 from about the same time that is clear and rich sounding, but without all the undertones and fullness.

I did like the gloss finish and detail of the -09 vs. the -03, though. I am not sure if the modern guitars will parallel what I found in the older guitars, but I think that a rosewood Larrivee -09 should be valued quite a bit higher than an -03 in the same condition.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I mistakenly substituted Larrivee -03 models vs. the -05. The trim and finish levels of the -05s and the -09s is the same. Also, the mahogany currently used is African rather than South American as in my (Forum III)-03. I probably should delete my entire post.

Last edited by Nctom; 07-19-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 AM

Dustin's comments are quite right. You will find deeper, more complex overtones in the rosewood, more fundamental woody tones in the mahogany. Can't go wrong either way, it's just personal preference. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with the wood Larrivee uses on either one.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 AM

I have no claim to expertise or a great ear or anything, but to my ear, the complexity of rosewood is best applied to solo playing or music highly focused on artsy fingerstyle guitar. In a worship or band or singer accompanying situation, mahogany is a more appropriate choice. Not trying to irritate rosewood enthusiasts, YMMV....
Old 07-19-2019, 09:03 AM

As a worship leader, I concur with the comments above. I lean heavily towards mahogany anyway, because in the settings I’m usually playing, the clarity is more prevalent than the rosewoods I’ve owned. However, I’ve not owned a Larrivee in Rosewood, but I’m on my third in mahogany.

Now that I’m finding myself exploring fingerstyle pieces more, I’d love to be able to have the option of a rosewood Larrivee to pair with my OM03. Maybe someday.

Also, FWIW, I had an L03 for a few years that was many of my band mates favorite guitar I used while leading worship. It did everything I needed and did it quite well. I prefer the OM body shape now, but an L body in mahogany is a wonderfully versatile instrument. The added bling, finish of the 5 series makes them nicer visually (subjectively) but the tone is incredibly similar.

Good luck! In the end, I think you’ll get a winner either way!
Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money View Post
I have no claim to expertise or a great ear or anything, but to my ear, the complexity of rosewood is best applied to solo playing or music highly focused on artsy fingerstyle guitar. In a worship or band or singer accompanying situation, mahogany is a more appropriate choice. Not trying to irritate rosewood enthusiasts, YMMV....
You speak the truth my friend. You will have a bit less EQ work to do with an LV-05 vs. an LV-09. I play mostly solo with my l-09 so I have it dialed in the way I like but the l-05 plugged in is much more “pure” to my ears. I’ve been on the hunt for a nice C-05 for that reason.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Either guitar will be very nice, I’m very fond of what my L-10 will do.
It’s whichever tone you prefer though.
Is there a shop close to you that might carry some Larrivee Mahogany/Rosewood samples you might a/b ?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I play majority worship music. I have owned over 50 (not typo) Larrivee Guitars in the past 15 years if not more. Owned multiple example of both L(v)-05 and L(v)-09 in discussion here. However I have since moved on from Larrivee’s to playing more Gibson these days...but that’s another topic.

With that said Dustinfurlow’s description generalizing rosewood and Mahogany is pretty much spot on and Larrivee is no exception.

You said you prefer Rosewood so that’s what I suggest. Larrivee, to me in general are not overtone heavy guitar to begin with so it works well for strumming sing along worship style of music. I’m sure many famous worship artists play Mahogany but I see far more Rosewood being used so don’t let others sway you to think Mahogany is superior for this type of playing. Last time I checked Hillsong(most), Baloche, Tomlin, Wickham, etc. main guitars were rosewood. Yes they own many but that’s what I see.

Bottom line is, buy what your ears like. and you said you prefer Rosewood. My recommendation is to buy one now and buy another one in the future.

As for me, I’m fortunate to own rosewood, Mahogany, and Koa Guitar and I would have tough time choosing one. They all have their places.

Enjoy the hunt.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM

You could buy both, keep the one you prefer, and flip the other.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I would look at the Larrivee website for msrp pricing, then go buy the rosewood
Larrivee

I've owned 15 or 20 Larrivees, currently own a '98 D03R

out of all the Larrivees I've owned, the rosewood ones always stood out to me
Old 07-19-2019, 12:52 PM

@SKYHIGH i hear you on the Gibson... esp the 45...
I think all in all the reason i sold my Tak 2005 Ltd(mahogany) which had the best action ever and a tight range, everything was settled and mellow, was my desire for broader range and overtones. Thats what i got in my previous two Rosewoods so I'll continue down the Rosewood path

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
larrivee, lv-05, lv-09