The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
One of my all time favorite writers. I hope “The Dunwich Horror” is in that collection!
H.P. Lovecraft is an amazing writer. Yep, The Dunwich Horror is in this collection. Most of his stories are in this one. I also have the Eldritch Tales as well but I haven't read it yet. It includes (i think) a couple more stories and a bunch of his letters?
Old 08-29-2018, 11:38 AM

"Chesapeake Requiem" by Earl Swift. It's subtitled, "A year with the watermen of vanishing Tangier Island".

As one reviewer stated, "Wonderful, poetic, stirring writing. This lovely book is an elegy to a disappearing way of life and a rumination on the coming global upheaval from climate-change-driven sea-level rise."

My son spent a few months on the island about 7 years ago, working with the dredging crew that deepened the main channel into the island's harbor. He was intrigued by the unique dialect the islanders spoke with and became friends with one of the main figures in the book.

I happened to stumble upon a press release for the book a couple of weeks ago, ordered it online and have been reading it since it arrived a couple of days ago. Fascinating reading, IMO.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Well I'm caught up with The Expanse novels, waiting for Number 8 to come out. Release date has been pushed back to March 2019.....

I ripped through the 'Murderbot' novellas, with the next in series due out in Oct.

So, for my next mindless, easy to read Sci Fi action series, I've started on the 'Old Man's War' series.

Totally far fetched, and did I mention easy to read and get in to.

D
Old 09-03-2018, 03:35 AM

I'm currently reading Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

˙˙˙

It's an excellent book. I'm about halfway through it now. It's difficult to categorize - there's a mystery plot intertwined in it, but it's mainly about a young girl growing up alone in a remote cabin in a coastal North Carolina marsh.

It's well worth reading.

The previous book I just finished is a more traditional mystery called The Irregular, by H. B. Lyle.

˙˙˙

There have been endless attempts by modern authors to write more Sherlock Holmes books, none of them very successful, in my opinion. I should say I've never been able to get more than a few pages into any of them. But this author has taken a different approach and written a book about Wiggins, who was the boy leader of the Baker Street Irregulars, the so-called "street arabs" or urchins who sometimes did surveillance work for Sherlock Holmes.

This book imagines Wiggins as an adult. It's good, and worth reading.

It doesn't have quite the literary merit of Where The Crawdads Sing, but it rattles along at a brisk pace. I found it enjoyable. Had the author made it mainly about Sherlock Holmes, after a chapter or two I would have hurled it against the wall in disgust, just as I have all the other modern attempts at a new Sherlock Holmes book. But in this book Holmes and Watson make only brief appearances, and that works pretty well.

So I would recommend both books.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-03-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Just started this one. Thanks for the tip,
Halfway through, 5 stars. Not a surfer, but doesn't matter, great read. (Barbarian Days, A Surfing Life)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:13 PM

Reading about 3 miles over my head. David Bohm . Other indecipherable stuff about quantum physics and consciousness, but I don't feel too bad, because nobody understands those anyway . "If the brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be too stupid to understand it", is how "the saying" goes.
Reading 'Losing The Nobel Prize' by Brian Keating. I sure didn't understand cosmology nearly as much as I thought. Basically, I'm learning how little I actually do know, so toss that in with all the above stuff , and that's me
Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 PM

I would highly encourage anyone who needs a good read, to check out "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. It's truly one of those head-scratchers.. it kind of twists a whole bunch of different generations and time-periods and characters (and genres!!) together.

VERY good book!! I'm about to give it another read-thru. I heard they made a movie, but I dare not watch it, because many a great book has been defiled that way.

Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 09-07-2018, 09:01 PM

The Hellhole Trilogy books by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. Brian is the son of Frank Herbert, of "Dune" fame and he has carried the torch with a dozen or so prequels and sequels of Dune. This trilogy is not of the Dune series but is a science fiction effort.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

The story and writings of Opel Whitely. Amazing perception of the natural world.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Halfway through, 5 stars. Not a surfer, but doesn't matter, great read. (Barbarian Days, A Surfing Life)
Awesome, glad to hear non-surfers are enjoying it!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:51 AM

Finished "How Can I Keep From Singing?" (Pete Seeger bio) and finally started reading "The Plague Dogs", which I found in a box in my basement from 30 years ago...
Old 09-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Just finishing up "Barbarian Days, A Surfing Life" (good read) and getting ready to crack open "Stranger in the Woods" about a person who parked his car went in the woods and didn't come out until 27 years later....
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Why String Theory? by Joseph Conlon.

I was one of the skeptics of this area of physics, but this book (which I just started) looks to be quite good.

And now for something completely different, I just finished all of Ruth Ozeki's novels. She is great! A real hoot, but also great books. Check 'em out!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Just finished this one. Well written IMO

Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM