The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
It's rated 117dB SPL. So it's the same.

Basically only the bass will suffer. SPL is measured at 1 Khz so only the array is concerned by this specification.

There will be less bottom end since you have a smaller speaker, a smaller enclosure (less air-mass) and battery operation. But I think the JBL eon one was designed for DJs... Because the BOSE L1 compact could not handle Deep bass. That's why the JBL mixer does not have Hi-Z inputs. They really wanted to hit that market and did not think much about singer-songwriters.

Now they have discovered that some people from the Bose market did actually bought the JBL eon one and some of them have reported the Bose to sound somewhat better or clearer... In the french magazine review, one of the main criticism was overwhelming bass that could not be tamed since there was no low-cut: specially for vocals.

So they've stripped the bass with solo acoustic player in mind. They've put a smaller speaker in a smaller enclosure and added battery. It's as if they actually read acousticgutar forum!!!

I think it's a bit expansive because you are close to Bose L1S... But it's definitely worth the try.

Harman is now pushing a new connected PA solution that seems pretty smart.

https://youtu.be/sWK3-gWBVPE

Regarding the new Pro model One comparison, I think they were keeping costs down with the first Eon One to compete directly with the L1C. At a higher price point, they must have more flexibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

As I mentioned months ago, I thought JBL may address some of the issues that players had brought up about the first EON ONE. I kind of wish, though, they'd maintained the 10-inch woofer for the new EON ONE Pro.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
https://youtu.be/_Oob8Q0wqNU

https://youtu.be/dbLv1q3GQVU

http://www.jblpro.com/Microsite-eonone-pro/

Differences from the existing JBL Eon One

1. Same (6) 2" drivers in the array. (Good)
2. 8" woofer instead of the 10" - for a 25% smaller box. (Probably OK)
3. Lithium Ion rechargeable battery (6-hours play time at full power - wow!)
4. Weighs 2.5 lbs less than the current model.
5. 4 combo full inputs in the 7 channel mixer. (Finally)
6. Phantom power for XLRs. (Finally)
7. High Z for guitars on the mixer. (Yes!)
8. XLR output for expansion. (Finally)
9. $500 higher list price than the existing unit. (Saw that coming)
10. Connector for lighting or GoPro camera accessory. (Hmmmm)
11. Flip up tablet tray. (Hmmmm)
12. USB port for tablet charging. (Smart)

Looks like the listened to all the criticisms of the short comings from the original design, fixed them, added battery power, shrunk the big box, and raised the price. The mixer is much improved.

What's the best part? You can get the really great current JBL Eon One for $800 with the roller bag!

OpenRoadMatt, behold your new PA system...

Well done JBL!

Looks interesting - good competition for the Bose with only two inputs.

I'd not be intersted in the Battery function, the "go-pro fitting , or the tablet holder (it'll be in the wrong place anyway), but I really don't like being told its a 7 channel system when it isn't it is a 4 channel mixer. Face it no-one uses the 3.5 m/m inputs anyway so why have two of them? You need XLR and jacks, that's it surely.

So, take out the batteries, and the other silly stuff and cut me a deal!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
As I mentioned months ago, I thought JBL may address some of the issues that players had brought up about the first EON ONE. I kind of wish, though, they'd maintained the 10-inch woofer for the new EON ONE Pro.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-05-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Looks interesting - good competition for the Bose with only two inputs.

I'd not be intersted in the Battery function, the "go-pro fitting , or the tablet holder (it'll be in the wrong place anyway), but I really don't like being told its a 7 channel system when it isn't it is a 4 channel mixer. Face it no-one uses the 3.5 m/m inputs anyway so why have two of them? You need XLR and jacks, that's it surely.

So, take out the batteries, and the other silly stuff and cut me a deal!

Ha! We all made the same complaints when the original came out with two XLRs and called it a 6 channel mixer. They made it 4 and we're still not satisfied. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 PM

I like this format, and I guess I am in the minority preferring the more compact size of the 8" woofer (as opposed to the 10" on the original version).

Thanks to the OP for making me aware of ths product.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 PM

You're welcome! Incidentally, I was thinking about Cuki's and SM's comments about the mixer. I think the RCAs and 1/8" jack are geared towards DJs, not just musicians. With 4 XLR, I think the 5/6 channels used for DJ connections makes a lot of sense. Sometimes we have to remember that guitar players are not the only people who use these things. :-)

Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You're welcome! Incidentally, I was thinking about Cuki's and SM's comments about the mixer. I think the RCAs and 1/8" jack are geared towards DJs, not just musicians. With 4 XLR, I think the 5/6 channels used for DJ connections makes a lot of sense. Sometimes we have to remember that guitar players are not the only people who use these things. :-)

Or break music.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:23 AM

This is probably the ideal setup for me as a busker, including the mount for a camera/light. If they could shave off 3 more kilograms off it it'd be a dream come true!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Or break music.

True. My thought with break music was folks would use the Bluetooth. I figured the RCAs were designed for DJ Consoles I've seen. Regardless, it seems like a nice addition.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I like this format, and I guess I am in the minority preferring the more compact size of the 8" woofer (as opposed to the 10" on the original version).

Thanks to the OP for making me aware of ths product.

According to their marketing pitch, they feel that the bass does not suffer with the new design. I'm sure that's true to a certain low frequency. I also suspect if you're a mobile DJ, you'd stick with the current Eon One. For acoustic singer/songwriters, I suspect the 8" woofer will be coherent and sufficient.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I really like the new design and having 6 hours of battery power would be awesome because it's rare that I play a venue that has power anywhere close to the area they want me to set up in. And the onboard mixer would be plenty for a duo. But my Bose Compact sounds so dang good I'm not going to be parting with it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-06-2017, 09:28 AM

That's so funny about the JBL Eon One Pro. In a previous thread on the Eon One, we were talking about why can't JBL just put a battery in the Eon One and call it good! That was a few weeks ago. Cuki came back and said something about power draw, current and other tech stuff I don't quite understand, and that was why it probably wouldn't happen.

Well go figure why JBL has lowered the price of the One. We should've saw that one coming (no pun intended). I wonder what Bose is up to with lowering the price of the L1 Compact? Maybe the same? And I JUST bought an Eon One. Darn! I hate it when that happens!

Looks like we're getting pretty good at predicting the future here on this section of the AGF forum. Now... what about that Tonedexter?

FYI, this from: http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/...l-eon-one-pro/

JBL EON ONE PRO is expected to be available in stores beginning August 2017. Pricing at $1874 (MSRP)

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.

Last edited by TheShadowKnows; 04-06-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added info link
Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM

Does this Eon One have a sound that is big and warm in the low mids?

After having played through a Fishman SA220 and finding it severely lacking in any warm low mids and knowing that the sound will carry farther before falling in apparent volume, I'm wary of small driver line array products (At least for players who have a voice that they themselves, at least, consider a touch towards the nasal side).

I should say that playing through the largest Bose and a supremely expensive and ultra heavy, Renkus Heinz array with a line of 4"'s wasn't terrible.

Do you all think that this is more of a PA style solution where two of them really improves the sound?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Does this Eon One have a sound that is big and warm in the low mids?

After having played through a Fishman SA220 and finding it severely lacking in any warm low mids and knowing that the sound will carry farther before falling in apparent volume, I'm wary of small driver line array products (At least for players who have a voice that they themselves, at least, consider a touch towards the nasal side).

I should say that playing through the largest Bose and a supremely expensive and ultra heavy, Renkus Heinz array with a line of 4"'s wasn't terrible.

Do you all think that this is more of a PA style solution where two of them really improves the sound?
Not sure if JBL designed this to be exclusively a P.A. solution. It seems the One is more like a guitar / duo / singer / song player solution. You 'can' DJ with it but you can also drive your Ferrari to the grocery store to get milk & eggs, but why?

I can say that the One with the 10" bass speaker is much warmer & projects more bass than the Bose L1C that has an 8" bass speaker. It's a matter of physics & amp power. The One had a great crossover point also. It sounded to me to be more seamless than the L1C, but of course, it may sound different to your ears. Go test them at your local GC (if you're in the U.S.) & hear for yourself.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification