The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Chipotle Chipotle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I agree, I think CA has seen the need to offer this which is probably what I would like, but I have never seen one in a store.
Neither had I. I decided to order one online from a place with a no-questions money back guarantee. I figured if I didn't like it, I'd be out the shipping, but that was better than being stuck with a $2800 guitar I didn't want. I thought of it as a "rental" fee, plus I got to try the guitar in a variety of real situations, not just strum for 10 minutes in a noisy store. Just a thought, if you're willing to go that route.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Doubleneck Doubleneck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Neither had I. I decided to order one online from a place with a no-questions money back guarantee. I figured if I didn't like it, I'd be out the shipping, but that was better than being stuck with a $2800 guitar I didn't want. I thought of it as a "rental" fee, plus I got to try the guitar in a variety of real situations, not just strum for 10 minutes in a noisy store. Just a thought, if you're willing to go that route.
And what did you think of the neck? For me I'm just not in the market for another guitar, my question was more for discussion given a previous post on CA necks. I would love to try the CA thin just for my own curiosity.
__________________
Steve
2005 McKnight SS Dred
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Chipotle Chipotle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
And what did you think of the neck? For me I'm just not in the market for another guitar, my question was more for discussion given a previous post on CA necks. I would love to try the CA thin just for my own curiosity.
I actually got the wide neck, as my other main guitars have 1-11/16" necks and I was looking for something better for fingerstyle. But overall I thought the neck shape and feel was more similar to a Taylor than my Martin or Yamaha that have more of a V. It was very "fast", almost electric-ish, and comfy as least to me. I imagine the narrow neck might be more like the lower-end Taylors (1xx or 2xx) which have 1-11/16" nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-11-2017, 05:38 AM
sirwhale sirwhale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,062
Default

I've just bought a nylon string crossover with a 48mm nut and I can still thumb over easily on the 6th string.

But, ironically, I now prefer the 48mm nut, so this backs up Steve's original post.
__________________
Christian
Guitar: Camps Primera Negra A (a flamenco guitar)
Strings: Aquila Rubino, Knobloch CX, Aquila Alchemia
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-11-2017, 06:14 AM
Strumalot Strumalot is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 136
Default

I have the thin neck GX and it is most similar to my strat and perhaps my old Taylor 710.

Out of all my guitars, which include a Les Paul, Strat, and CFs from Emerald and Rainsong, the thin neck on the GX is my favorite. The 1 3/4 necks aren't a deal breaker for me, but I am surprised that the GX is the only production model with the thinner neck option. CF is a perfect material for making acoustics for people who have mostly electric guitar backgrounds and want that same feel in their acoustics.

I also have a CA Blade. I had expected the neck to be similar to the GX, but the profile is fuller. I prefer the GX profile, and that is perhaps a more important difference than the width when comparing guitars.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Doubleneck Doubleneck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
The 1 3/4 necks aren't a deal breaker for me, but I am surprised that the GX is the only production model with the thinner neck option.
I am not surprised because it would be a separate guitar mold for the thinner neck and they would only do that for their best selling guitar. That kind of demonstrates the point I was making.

I looked at a bunch of UTubes from factory tours. They show Taylor and McPherson making necks totally on a CNC machine. Martin shows a CNC machined neck but final finishing my hand. (to me that's a bit of marketing) Bottom line given the manufacturing process, it is just cheaper and easier for wood makers to offer multiple neck options. It then becomes more of a marketing issue how many are worth selling.
__________________
Steve
2005 McKnight SS Dred
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 03-11-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Carmel Cedar Carmel Cedar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milwaukee area, WI
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Bottom line given the manufacturing process, it is just cheaper and easier for wood makers to offer multiple neck options.
Certainly that's true based on what we assume the manufacturing changes are (between cf and wood guitars) to do a custom vs standard neck. But I wonder whether the future could be different. If I wanted a thin carve neck profile on a Kevin Ryan guitar, it's a $200 option. For an Emerald, it's $350. Certainly cheaper for wood (and even more as a % of guitar value for the Ryan), but not as big a difference as I would have guessed. For my upcoming Emerald build, it's also not a 'pick from these choices' deal - it's anything I want. That suggests there may be cheaper ways to customize carbon fiber guitar necks than we assume.

Could be dead wrong here. But I wonder if manufacturing innovations could change the carbon fiber market vs what it is today. Thinking about how Bob Taylor's manufacturing innovations transformed the wood guitar market...

Personally, I'm really liking a model that enables more customized carbon fiber guitars!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Doubleneck Doubleneck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Certainly that's true based on what we assume the manufacturing changes are (between cf and wood guitars) to do a custom vs standard neck. But I wonder whether the future could be different. If I wanted a thin carve neck profile on a Kevin Ryan guitar, it's a $200 option. For an Emerald, it's $350. Certainly cheaper for wood (and even more as a % of guitar value for the Ryan), but not as big a difference as I would have guessed. For my upcoming Emerald build, it's also not a 'pick from these choices' deal - it's anything I want. That suggests there may be cheaper ways to customize carbon fiber guitar necks than we assume.

Could be dead wrong here. But I wonder if manufacturing innovations could change the carbon fiber market vs what it is today. Thinking about how Bob Taylor's manufacturing innovations transformed the wood guitar market...

Personally, I'm really liking a model that enables more customized carbon fiber guitars!
There always seems to be magic in the Emerald City.

For Martin and Taylor it's not really in most cases a custom neck. Multiple necks are standard offerings, maybe not on every guitar but on many of them.
__________________
Steve
2005 McKnight SS Dred
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 03-11-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=