The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Default Re picks

I use Wegen Picks, the Gypsy Jazz Pick for acoustic and the Twins on my electrics. Both are 3.5mm thick, the twins are quite small at 27.5 mm long and 23.3 mm wide, the GJ is 30 mm long and 26 mm wide (about the size of a typical standard guitar pick but much thicker). They have a beveled tip and come in right and left handed varieties. Soundwise they have a much fatter sound than conventional thin (sub 2mm) picks which means they really bring the best out of CF guitar. Another benefit of the design is much (much) more control both for lead and rhythm playing. They make my Emerald X7 sound superb adding lots of fatness and body even when digging in (heavy strumming is the Emeralds weakest area). I've used them for a few years now and can't praise them enough. Try one and experience tone heaven..... you'll never look back.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 PM

Thanks Jim and Sam for your suggestions. I couldn't agree more with your comments about how pick thickness and material affects guitar tone. I play with Fred Kelly speed pick thumb picks. I can get completely different tones from a guitar by using the thin, medium, and heavy gauge picks. I prefer the richer tone I get with the heavy gauge (i.e. thicker) thumb picks.

I'll have to do some experimenting with strings. I think I'll start with a set of Elixir nano PBs I have laying around and go from there. I also just got a set of the new Santa Cruz parabolic strings (low tension). I may give them a go as well.

Enjoy the concert, Jim. No doubt it will be great. I had the chance to briefly meet Al at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in 2013. He let me play is namesake custom wood guitar. A very nice person to be sure.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber