The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
anybody have anything to share: progress, thoughts?
Nicely done mc1 (hey, that rhymes!)

I knew I would regret trying to get a piece down in a weeks time. Alas, work and life took over my guitar time once again. I didn't make much further than where I was before. I will continue working on it in my spare time and try to get a recording when I'm done. I should have signed up for the " learn a very easy piece a month" thread !

So, I'll do what I can.. I'll just be lagging behind

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Nicely done mc1 (hey, that rhymes!)

I knew I would regret trying to get a piece down in a weeks time. Alas, work and life took over my guitar time once again. I didn't make much further than where I was before. I will continue working on it in my spare time and try to get a recording when I'm done. I should have signed up for the " learn a very easy piece a month" thread !

So, I'll do what I can.. I'll just be lagging behind
hey wasper, no regrets. you didn't learn the humming song in a week, but you spent some time working on a new piece, and that can only be positive.

you could keep working at it in parts, it's sort of like 2.5 or 3 sections, and then in a month or so you would have it down. or take a break. the week was just my arbitrary limit, it doesn't need to be anyone else's, or be the same for every piece.

redjoker started a thread about playing 2 minutes a day rather than nothing at all. perhaps you could see how many days of 2-5 min/day it takes to learn. even if it takes a few months, so what?

just some thoughts. thanks for weighing in. btw, you're not lagging, you're the only other person participating.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Hi MC1 - i've downloaded the Cancao Triste to learn when I get a break from opera pieces (mostly what we are playing in the Ensemble). Very pretty piece - I got it from Angelfire as the posted link was blank. I shall hide it from my guitar teacher because he'll probably say I should practice visualizing the hands and fingerings and then sight reading it - way not fun.

I think people like me might be intimidated by the week deadline - personally there's not a lot I can get to recording level in a week, though having simpler pieces that provide more instant gratification is a great idea. OTOH I don't really mind how long it takes as long as it gets there eventually. Pretty much everything I learn teaches me something new.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Hi MC1 - i've downloaded the Cancao Triste to learn when I get a break from opera pieces (mostly what we are playing in the Ensemble). Very pretty piece - I got it from Angelfire as the posted link was blank. I shall hide it from my guitar teacher because he'll probably say I should practice visualizing the hands and fingerings and then sight reading it - way not fun.

I think people like me might be intimidated by the week deadline - personally there's not a lot I can get to recording level in a week, though having simpler pieces that provide more instant gratification is a great idea. OTOH I don't really mind how long it takes as long as it gets there eventually. Pretty much everything I learn teaches me something new.
ha! i won't tell your teacher. i fixed the link in the original post.

maybe people are intimidated by the week deadline, although it isn't cast in stone or anything. the idea is just to find a piece at the level where you can learn it quickly.

anyway, very happy to have you join in.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:

next up for me is a very easy, very pretty tune called 'cancao triste' (sad song) by edson lopes. if anyone ever wanted to start to learn to read standard notation, this would be an excellent choice, as it is very readable.
If the pieces are like this I can participate!! ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
If the pieces are like this I can participate!! ;-)
that's the whole idea! you know, when i started this thread, i figured everybody would be learning different pieces (and hopefully that will also happen) due to different levels of experience, available time, etc.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:

next up for me is a very easy, very pretty tune called 'cancao triste' (sad song) by edson lopes. if anyone ever wanted to start to learn to read standard notation, this would be an excellent choice, as it is very readable.

the music is available here:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Can%C3%A7%C3%A...(Lopes,_Edson))

video here:
The piece bears a striking resemblance to Autum Leaves, which, if you like this tune would be another good tune to learn. I can probably dig out a simple arrangement of it created by renowned Canadian guitarist Tony Braden. It is short, easy to read, easy to play.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The piece bears a striking resemblance to Autum Leaves, which, if you like this tune would be another good tune to learn. I can probably dig out a simple arrangement of it created by renowned Canadian guitarist Tony Braden. It is short, easy to read, easy to play.
i can hear the resemblance to autumn leaves. it reminds me of a couple other tunes as well, one an old lute (i think) piece (for the first section), and another i can't quite recall, but it might be a pop song from the 60s or 70s (for the second section).

sure, i'd love to check out tony's arrangement.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 AM

well, i got my tune together. this was a very enjoyable tune to learn. never grew at all tired of it.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM

Congratulations on completing that in record time! It was lovely. I look forward to working on it- eventually
Old 04-28-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Congratulations on completing that in record time! It was lovely. I look forward to working on it- eventually
thanks, creamburmese. it is a fun piece to play, so keep it around.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:21 PM

ok, next up is a pretty easy, but also pretty, easy, study by tarrega in Em.

score here (lots of tab or alternate versions on the internet, search for "tarrega study in em" or "tarrega etude in em"):
http://www.delcamp.net/gif/francisco...o_mi_minor.gif

video:
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM

my internet is down, and i was told they could come out on the 23rd. yikes!

be back soon.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:05 PM

i'm back at the library, and can upload from here!

so here is my recording. this was an easy and fun piece to play, even though I play it very slowly, and makes for a good warm-up piece.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Default learn a piece a week group

Fantastic graphics and I like the way the melody line really stood out.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical