The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Default AGF Outstanding Volunteer Service Award

Back in August, with the blessing of AGF Owner/Founder J.R. Rogers, “Riorider” Phil Brodersen announced that in anticipation of this forum's 10th Anniversary, we would give an AGF Outstanding Volunteer Service Award, the first such award in our history. I was totally blown away to be named the recipient of that award. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=192789

In addition, people were invited to say nice things about be, deserved or not, and tell “Cotten stories” on me. Many of you did, and I'm e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y grateful and humbled. My very manly-man eyes overflowed again and again as I read the comments. Sometimes that was because of how touching they were. Sometimes it was because I was doubled over with laughter, rolling on the floor, just thinking how relieved I am that you don't live with me every day! You'd see that I'm a very simple, ordinary man, with many of the same problems and limitations and flaws that other people have.

Yet this ordinary man has been given an extraordinary honor by some extraordinary people! Not only did people make up nice things to say about me, they were invited to donate toward a collective gift of a custom guitar, to be made by the luthier of his choice, with a value up to $5000! Friends, to me that is a LOT of money, more than I would ever likely pay for any guitar!

In fact, because I knew I couldn't afford a fine, custom built guitar, I never even looked at them, except perhaps when one would show up in our Classifieds. This this Award came, and together, people actually amassed $5,000! With this, I set out on a journey, a journey to learn about the custom guitars being built by our AGF Sponsors. Oh, I know that there are fine builders who are not (yet!) supporters of this community, but I felt that it was only fitting that an AGF Award guitar be built by an AGF Sponsor. That was the easiest decision in the whole process! From there, it became an uphill climb.

You see, though I've only met one of them in person, every one of our luthier Sponsors is a dear friend. I mean that! I've talked with each one along the way, and though they are very distinct individuals that defy pigeon-holing, I have tremendous respect for each one, both personally and professionally.

Complicating matters was the fact that I knew nothing - nada - about the wonderful world of custom guitars. I needed an education, fast! So I asked my friends here for their thoughts on "Choosing a Sponsor's $5,000 Fingerstyle" guitar. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=193185 WOW! I couldn't believe the depth of wisdom, insight and opinion, often born out of many years of experience with a wide range of custom guitars that I received. That public thread alone runs some ten pages, and I've received dozens of confidential PMs and emails from trusted friends. You can't buy at any price the kind of advice I've received! Again, I'm blown away by the kindness people have shown.

Of course, we're guitarists, and we seldom agree 100% on anything. Every one of our luthier Sponsors was recommended by at least a few very enthusiastic fans. But the more I read, the more I studied web sites, the more I got to play sample guitars from some of these very generous builders, the more I was able to narrow my working list of potential builders.

I was thrilled when I finally got it down to ten. Don't laugh, that wasn't easy! I was only able to do that because a few regretfully took themselves out of the running, for various reasonable reasons. But how to choose among those ten? That was probably the most enjoyable-yet-painful experiences in my life! I loved every minute of it, yet hated it when I reached the point where I felt I should take another friend's name off the list.

No, I won't share with you who those ten were, or the six, or the Final Four. I will only tell you the eventual winner, and I'll tell you a little about why this particular builder was chosen.

In a minute. This post is already nearing it's limit, and there remains much to say. So somebody please go wake up the drummer. I'll give him the cue for the drum roll before The Announcement in a moment. Someone needs a little moderator help, and as always, first things first.

cotten
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM
*mahoganut*

on the edge of my seat....
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
on the edge of my seat....
...me too.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

............me three Exciting stuff for sure
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Me four!! This is exciting for sure....
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Oh geeze. What a stinker!

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 PM

For now, I'll omit the steps of discovery I took, except they began with the what and how of what I enjoy playing most, and considered each bit of opinion and advice that was shared. I'm quite comfortable with my final choice of a builder, except for the aspect of not choosing some very worthy others. I sincerely hope they will not think poorly of me!

OK, cue the drummer: Drum roll, please!

Please, the drum roll!

HEY JIMBO! WAKE UP!

(Sound of quick double paradiddles in the background - not exactly a roll, but you know how Jimbo is...)

"The envelope, please..."

(Hushed silence as everyone holds their breath.)

"The Luthier Sponsor Selected to build the Acoustic Guitar Forum's 10th Anniversary Outstanding Volunteer Service Award guitar is..."

(Gasps, Oos and Ahs precede by mere microseconds a thunderclap of applause, as acoustic guitarists the world over rise to their feet in a spontaneous 4/4, G Major celebration!) [Cue white dove release, followed after 15 seconds by thousands upon thousands of Official AGF Balloons, each carrying a copy of AND a limited edition Acoustic Guitar Forum Ultra guitar pick!

(This goes on for several minutes... then "ljguitar" Larry walks his 6th string down to an E7 modulation and suddenly everyone is playing the happiest version of the A Major 12-Bar Blues ever heard...)

OK, Ok, I don't get to write or direct for TV, so I have to grab my chance whenever I can.

To be continued...

cotten
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Awesome!!! Great Choice Tim doesn't mess around!!! I'm excited to hear more details.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM

a wiser choice could not have been made...................
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM
*mahoganut*

Excellent!

I'm sure it was like walking into a candy store with every possible tempting kind on display. And with $.01 in your pocket. And the shopkeeper says you can have one of anything you choose for your penny. Times a hundred, for all the complexity. And there's not a one you don't like.

Way to go, John. Now we're buckling up for the ride!

Best,

Phil
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Excellent. I'm glad to have been able to contribute. Not that you'll trace individual donations to parts of the guitar, but I'd like to think that I helped out with a tuner. Preferably the one for the "A" string.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Bravo! Congrats to you, John, and Tim & Mary!

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Racman

FANTASTIC CHOICE!!

I hope they have agreed to Squeeze your build in somewhere so we don't get to go through this suspense over the next 3 years!!!!

(Tim, although I am scheduled only for Oct 2013 (Man that's a long way away, but I get to play with my upcoming Cornerstone Zion and later Bashkin as well while I wait) I would gladly agree to be "bumped" a few months later if it would help cascade back to allow the time to squeeze in Cotten's build)

Congrats Cotten, although many of us have never met I am sure we are all equally delighted and excited for you.

Ok, now the anouncement is over, where are the first build pics?!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racman View Post
(Tim, although I am scheduled only for Oct 2013 (Man that's a long way away, but I get to play with my upcoming Cornerstone Zion and later Bashkin as well while I wait) I would gladly agree to be "bumped" a few months later if it would help cascade back to allow the time to squeeze in Cotten's build)
I just wrote Tim and Mary with the same offer - although mine is also out in 2013 somewhere... I will gladly accept the bump if it helps schedule Cotten's build!

Phil
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM

Fine choice. You can't go wrong with that.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop