The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Careful, I've read bad reviews on the Carvin AG100D about sound cutting out. Keep in mind that I haven't used one first hand, just going by what reviewers have been saying on the Harmony Central review site.
The problem with reports of reliability issues on internet forums is that there is no way of knowing the incidence of failure. For every report of a problem, how many did not have a problem? Also, early reliability problems fixed in later production runs might go unreported on internet forums. I have been using Carvin products since 1992 or 1993 and have never experienced a product failure. My experience is consistent with Carvin's reputation for reliability. While, I don't own an AG100D, we have members who've stated that they've experienced no problems but we also have some that have reported issues. The question is, has anybody experienced failures with newer AG100Ds or only with units from early production runs?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

...i just spent a week with my friends Fishman Soloamp....by far the best portable 2 channel setup i've used...i guess thats why it won best in show at 2008 Namm...i own a fairly high end JBL/ Allen & Heath soundsystem so i know what good sound is...the Fishman really has hi fi sound thats natural and warm....i used a mic for instruments and was able to play a variety of guitars mandos ukes through it with excellent sound and hgh feedback resistance.....the controls were very responsive and needed very little tweaking to produce great results...plenty of volume...well thought out inputs/outputs....alll in all a user friendly setup with terrific sound and fantastic portability....
Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The problem with reports of reliability issues on internet forums is that there is no way of knowing the incidence of failure. For every report of a problem, how many did not have a problem? Also, early reliability problems fixed in later production runs might go unreported on internet forums. I have been using Carvin products since 1992 or 1993 and have never experienced a product failure. My experience is consistent with Carvin's reputation for reliability. While, I don't own an AG100D, we have members who've stated that they've experienced no problems but we also have some that have reported issues. The question is, has anybody experienced failures with newer AG100Ds or only with units from early production runs?
Good call. As I stated in my post, I never used this amp and was only going on reviews posted over at Harmony Central. The amp looks very promising and just about everything I need in an acoustic/vocal amp at an affordable price...
Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 AM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K8/

if this is anything like their active HPR series PA speakers. This is going to be a bad mama jama. QSC come with an awesome warranty also. I want to say three years, but don't quote me on that.

I agree with the folks that are suggesting PA speaker and mixer. Although it may be 2 things to tote around, it'll be much more accomodative in the long run if you ever decide to throw different applications at it.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-19-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I've been on this forum since about October. There have probably been 20 different threads on this same topic and probably well over a thousand responses. There is a new thread every week and probably one or two on this same page.
I have to give credit to the members here who answer the same questions over and over again as if it was the first time they heard the question and for the way they have also put up with me in this area.

ALL OF THE ABOVE have been suggested for your scenerio. The best thing to do is to go out and listen to a few of them and then be sure to purchase somewhere that has a liberal return policy so you can see how it performs in your unique situation.
wow you've been posting a lot! I've been here since 05 and I only have like 200 more posts than you haha....

yea I completely agree...try being here for the past 5 years. I have my ups and downs with this forum, cause basically yea I get tired of reading the same threads over and over again, unfortunately as new gear arrives it's sometimes good to have some repeat posts so that new gear gets thrown in the mix. New experiences with older products will surface also. I used to rave about the aphex acoustic xciter till I went through 2 of them, both footswitches broke on me which is now I always tell people to stay away from them as much as possible. I also remember I posted a thread when I first joined recommending a good DI, and everyone overwhelmingly was telling me to get a Para DI which I love and am glad that I got, but now there are SOOO many good options if someone were to simply search my thread back from 05, they may not have heard of the recent goodies that have come out.

I suggest just searching for them and hyperlinking in their thread so we as an online community can help them out so we can keep the repost to a minimum

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Hey Mark,

I've been out of work with a shoulder injury and spend too much time on the computer. lol

Actually I was talking about 3 different threads on the same topic in a 2 week period that are still listed on the opening page and not a 5 year old thread.

I apologize for my earlier post. It's just that I "attempt" a search when I decide to enter a new forum for info.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
In its price range I think the AG100D is still competitive, and very versitile.
My issues with the effects going out, amp going out, and fade out when overheating have more to do with the way it gets used. When I get a call for a poolside gig in 110 degres heat it's the Carvin that is sacrificed with an extension speaker and not the Bose or a convention system.

One strange thing about it though is that it goes nuts if you shut down a wireless at the transmitter. Something in the wireing I guess.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...i just spent a week with my friends Fishman Soloamp....by far the best portable 2 channel setup i've used...i guess thats why it won best in show at 2008 Namm...i own a fairly high end JBL/ Allen & Heath soundsystem so i know what good sound is...the Fishman really has hi fi sound thats natural and warm....i used a mic for instruments and was able to play a variety of guitars mandos ukes through it with excellent sound and hgh feedback resistance.....the controls were very responsive and needed very little tweaking to produce great results...plenty of volume...well thought out inputs/outputs....alll in all a user friendly setup with terrific sound and fantastic portability....
I'm impressed with it too. I used mine for the first time last night for an outdoor function and it was suprisingly full...even bass on backing tracks was passible. I used the post mix out to a wireless that ran a few hundred feet to the AV guy running a dozen or so powered speakers to shop and street locations....something my Bose L! just won't do. Loadout was a breeze.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Careful, I've read bad reviews on the Carvin AG100D about sound cutting out. Keep in mind that I haven't used one first hand, just going by what reviewers have been saying on the Harmony Central review site.
I'll let everyone know ... I have one coming. I don't pay much attention to HC reviews. People don't know how to use the stuff they buy, don't read manuals, abuse their stuff, and then complain. Carvin's been offering the S400 since 1999 ... continuously, with several improvements over the years. I'm not at all worried about it. I just hope it sounds decent.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Default I Agree With Mark - Go Check Some Other Live Giggers Out

Aloha,

I totally agree with Mark (Makikogi) here. Once you see the same products & signal chains mentioned again and again here, you should go check them out -with your own ears. And let them make the final decision. Or just go back and find the previous threads on the topic first.

You can learn much more from going to hear a few local live giggers and to hear/see what they're using. Ask them about it. It will teach better than online opinions such as mine. Of course, hit the stores too.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 PM

An idea for you. Get a nice acoustic amp ( I like the Ultrasound DS4 ) and nice vocal stompbox with harmonies/effects like the TC-Helicon Harmony G XT. This will set you back about $700 and will be very good. You could use the effects on amp for the guitar and the TC for vocals. I have both units and it is very cool portable setup.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:14 AM

Recently got a Genz Benz 300 Compak. Very compact and light weight. Separate reverb controls on each channel. Great power and sound. I think it is hard to beat at its price point.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
While the Bose is my primary system, I've had one of these for a year now and it's gotten to the point that it's my main rig whenever I play solo acoustic gigs (I mainly play electric/midi in a small combo). Never a problem, always great sound. It's easy to tote and set up (especially compared to the Bose or my old Marshall AS100D) and it's designed (and designed very well) to monitor off of and works better than anything else, except the Bose. Even though I own, and use, the Bose I've never regretted buying the Fishman, nor considered selling it.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 AM

Default Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
An idea for you. Get a nice acoustic amp ( I like the Ultrasound DS4 ) and nice vocal stompbox with harmonies/effects like the TC-Helicon Harmony G XT. This will set you back about $700 and will be very good. You could use the effects on amp for the guitar and the TC for vocals. I have both units and it is very cool portable setup.
I have also owned the Ultrasound DS4 for a while now....awesome acoustic sound AND fantastic customer service (see my testimonial on the Ultrasound Website when they fixed the amp for free after I broke it!)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM

I have a yamaha stagepas 300, and for indoor venues of less than 100, works really nicely. Generally the guitars sound sweet, and vocals clear. Also will fit your budget very well... Also incredibly compact - the mixer fits in the back of one speaker, and cables in the back of the other.

Best on your decision!
Aden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification