The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Mackie HD1221: 50 lb., plywood cabinet

QSC K12: 41 lb., ABS (plastic) molded cabinet
For "me", those Mackies and even K12's are somewhat overkill for acoustic guitar and vocals only. The K12's while playing a little deeper than K10's are wonderful sounding, but I've been feeling like even the K12's are more than I need to lift/schlep. A pair of K10's are likely to make me very happy. I like the idea of lifting less size/weight. This makes loading, set up and tear-down go ever faster. I gig a lot, so those extra pounds saved make me smile a lot more. I am not discounting that the Mackies with plywood cabs aren't wonderful. I'm sure they are nice. QSC makes a KW series (the "W" being Wood) that are very nice too. Maybe even better sounding than Mackie's, though I don't know that personally. I've read the QSC KW series speakers are even better sounding than the K12's. The trade-off however is size/weight. That matters to me by quite a lot. As long as the sonic performance is tonally exceptional, I'm happy. I've learned that usually it's me and other musicians who pay closer attention to the crispness of sound. Garden variety audience listeners at my resort/gourment upscale restaurants just care if I perform well and play songs they like. :-) Ya know? I happen to feel the K10's and K12's are wonderful sounding. Certainly good enough for me. Your mileage may vary.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-17-2012 at 05:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification