The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
1st to 5th all good with the G7-2.

Also tried Shubb, slight buzz 5th fret 1st string...suspected for a while I have worn poor old Shubby out. Have some newer ones slightly different models in a box or bag somewhere.

Tried my Elliot Elite, all good.

Planet Waves NS something, all good.....really good on this guitar but not much on my old Gibson L-0 so gathering dust until today.

I can also tell you that cowboy chords C to F in 1 to 4 with a few hammers on sounded so good on the guitar top that I may have wandered off... Wow, thing is even better today!

BluesKing777.

Hmm. Maybe I need to try moving it around some more. Mine just can’t squeeze hard enough.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
1st to 5th all good with the G7-2.

Also tried Shubb, slight buzz 5th fret 1st string...suspected for a while I have worn poor old Shubby out. Have some newer ones slightly different models in a box or bag somewhere.

Tried my Elliot Elite, all good.

Planet Waves NS something, all good.....really good on this guitar but not much on my old Gibson L-0 so gathering dust until today.

I can also tell you that cowboy chords C to F in 1 to 4 with a few hammers on sounded so good on the guitar top that I may have wandered off... Wow, thing is even better today!

BluesKing777.

So interesting observation. My Performance 2 also buzzes with my D-18 on the first fret. So it isn’t just the 717. I’m wondering if it could be the Santa Cruz strings. They have a super thick 56 on the low E and are thinner than mediums on the middle strings. I bet the thicker E string props the capo up just enough to not allow enough tension on the middle strings.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
So interesting observation. My Performance 2 also buzzes with my D-18 on the first fret. So it isn’t just the 717. I’m wondering if it could be the Santa Cruz strings. They have a super thick 56 on the low E and are thinner than mediums on the middle strings. I bet the thicker E string props the capo up just enough to not allow enough tension on the middle strings.

Ha!

Andy has designed the GPs to only work properly with Elixirs!

It is a conspiracy!

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Ha!

Andy has designed the GPs to only work properly with Elixirs!

It is a conspiracy!

BluesKing777.

The guitar is so good that I can live with that!
Old 06-21-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
The guitar is so good that I can live with that!
Only stirring, sorry.

Do you have any normal tension strings like D’Addarios or such to chuck on?

If you get another tuner and it fixes the problem, no matter....except we will never know if it the low tension strings. So take one for the team!

Did I mention how superb mine sounded before, words don’t do it. And of course, I have all this other stuff to do and I just want to play....

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:06 PM

I have a drawer that I think of as the museum of failed capos. It is full. I have only had long term success with the Shubb clamp-on and the Hlavaty yoke capo made in Slovakia, distinguished by its large tightening knob.

The nice thing about the yoke capos is that you can park them above the nut, where as the Shubbs tend to get left behind somewhere because you actually have to take them off and put them somewhere when playing open. But these are the only two I use. I have four Shubbs and two Hlavatys. The rest of them live in the museum of failed capos...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion