The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-21-2020, 07:24 PM

Default Is the back seam separating?

My Santa Cruz OM/PW just arrived and I noticed what looks like some glue bubbles or separation on the back seam by the heel cap. Should I be worried? I've returned it to it's case and have humidification going inside just in case this is because of climate difference. I'm located in Southern California and the guitar was shipped from Wisconsin.

Last edited by stego; 11-21-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:02 PM

Default A thought

Used ain't new. I see a finish flaw that could have been present when the guitar was new. Might want to call the seller and ask about it, but I can see how it was neither noticed nor mentioned.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:12 PM

Default Watc the humidity

Be careful not to over humidify the guitar. Damage can be done with too much as too little.

Real damage comes from temperature change than humidity I believe.

A hygrometer is not a good measure of the humidity in the wood, just the amount in the ambient air or the air inside the guitar.

So, I suggest not to do too much and not worry about the humidity that much.

Good luck.

Ron
Old 11-22-2020, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

I can’t entirely judge the area, but it looks like it’s just along the center seam, above the neck block. Unless it’s in a lot more areas, I’d not be concerned. But I’d email the shop if you want their opinion -
Old 11-23-2020, 06:22 AM

If the seam was separating, you'd see a crack between the two halves of the back. The joint is solid. Constructionwise, underneath that part of the back there is a huge hunk of mahogany (neck block) that the back is glued to, not a place that the back is going to come apart. I'm a builder as well as a player. If you don't trust the opinion of myself and others who replied to your other thread, take the guitar to a good luthier. While you're there, they should be able to buff that out in minutes.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:58 AM

That looks like glue squeeze out that wasn't entirely sanded off during the building process.

But I could be way off because a photo can show only so much.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:54 AM

IT doesn't look like anything to worry about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
back, crack