The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2019, 07:29 AM

Default Bose vs QSC with subwoofer

I'm in an established acoustic guitar duo, all instrumental.

We normally run 2 Fishman mini's into a QSC K8, and sometimes extend out to a JBL eon when necessary. This system has served us well.

We recently plugged into a house system Bose, top of the line. That was a great sound, and the mixer seemed simple but powerful. Very impressed.

Question. One thing we really liked was the lower tones coming out of the Bose subwoofer. Didn't know those were even available on acoustic. That system costs north of 3k. Not saying it is not worth it.

How would perhaps getting a decent subwoofer, and pairing it with the QSC K8 compare. The QSC has the 'subwoofer' setting, I assume that lessens its bass duties and perhaps provides that leftover power/headroom to the top end?

Thanks for any input. The QSC has gotten us this far and it is great, a real road warrior. But that Bose sounded so hi fi, and we liked it.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:36 AM

Get a Behringer 1200d and you'll have all the low end you'll need. I bought a Bose L1compact after playing at a church with 2 L1 classics. The sound was fantastic. I needed a little more low end so I got the Behringer 1200d. Now my Bose L1 compact sounds like the Bose classic.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Get a Behringer 1200d and you'll have all the low end you'll need. I bought a Bose L1compact after playing at a church with 2 L1 classics. The sound was fantastic. I needed a little more low end so I got the Behringer 1200d. Now my Bose L1 compact sounds like the Bose classic.
Excellent idea.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Thanks for these responses. Am I looking at this the right way- that having a sub woofer will allow the QSC to function more fully in the mid to highs, without the burden of pumping out the lows?
Old 03-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Yes - up to a certain volume.
If the 128db SPL that QSC claims for the K8 are correct (what I relly doubt) the Behringer sub will run out of gas.
Still, for an acoustic duo, even with bass, the Behringer should be enough!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
If the 128db SPL that QSC claims for the K8 are correct (what I relly doubt) the Behringer sub will run out of gas.
I used the Behringer 1200d in my last band with 1000 watt 15's on each side with the B.1200d in the middle. Nobody could believe the lows it put out. I turned it off to show them how much lows it added. It kept up with the PA at only 1/2 way up on the volume.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
That's amazing. Sounds like this could help fill a room if the Compact is straining a little bit. What's your signal path? Are you using the Main line output on the back of the Compact into the 1200d with a 1/4-inch to XLR? And... I guess the built-in sub on the Compact doesn't care?

Or are you just sending a separate line out from your mixer?
Old 03-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
That's amazing. Sounds like this could help fill a room if the Compact is straining a little bit. What's your signal path? Are you using the Main line output on the back of the Compact into the 1200d with a 1/4-inch to XLR? And... I guess the built-in sub on the Compact doesn't care?

Or are you just sending a separate line out from your mixer?
I do this both ways. With a mixer and 1/4 out to XLr.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:59 PM

If I had to add one:

Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12

More money, but it has the power to provide some sound and at 42lbs is a reasonable load in. Moderately reasonable.

hunter
Old 03-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Have to say I am a little leery of Behringer reliability over time. You'd be better served if you can swing the dollars to go the QSC KS112. Matched perfectly to your K8 whether original or new series (different crossover settings) and plenty of punch in a small box.

Kris
Old 03-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
if you get up to 128db SPL your sub running out of gas is the least of your worries
Old 03-17-2019, 03:02 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
if you get up to 128db SPL your sub running out of gas is the least of your worries
For sure. But you never know what people tend to do with their equipment. :-)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:50 AM

I'm the OP. We'd never ever run that loud, in a noisy wine bar we need to crank it a little to be heard, but we try to play under, or with the noise, never over it.

I just don't see us investing 3k in a Bose system right now, though I have no doubt it is worth every penny. If we in fact ran say the Behringer sub woofer with the K8, how close would that come to the hi fi Bose sound?

As to the Behringer, yes, I don't know about the longevity, I've never owned any Behringer gear, some people don't care for it, some people think its a good value. As to getting the QSC sub woofer (that'd be ideal), that money takes us well down the road to just getting the Bose. Stlll, might be the way to go, there'd be no question then as to the high quality.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
I'm the OP. We'd never ever run that loud, in a noisy wine bar we need to crank it a little to be heard, but we try to play under, or with the noise, never over it.

I just don't see us investing 3k in a Bose system right now, though I have no doubt it is worth every penny. If we in fact ran say the Behringer sub woofer with the K8, how close would that come to the hi fi Bose sound?

As to the Behringer, yes, I don't know about the longevity, I've never owned any Behringer gear, some people don't care for it, some people think its a good value. As to getting the QSC sub woofer (that'd be ideal), that money takes us well down the road to just getting the Bose. Stlll, might be the way to go, there'd be no question then as to the high quality.
Hi DD

A bose system sounds like a Bose system for a reason. All systems produce bass, midrange, and treble.

Bose systems are designed with an airy sound/feel (extra presence) to them which is not likely to be reproduced by adding a sub to your QSC, even if you run them directly behind you (like Bose) on stage.

What you need to figure out is if it's the Bose 'presence' that's intriguing you, or the additional bass connected to it. Borrowing or renting a sub to try with your system would probably give you some answers.

I have friends who use and love Bose systems, which are not without their own issues. Every PA system designed is going to have strengths and limitations.

One of the biggest limitations of Bose are the projection and ability (or inability) to fill large spaces. To be sure, Bose has stadium systems, but they are not tiny and mounted on poles. They are huge line array configurations, and they are amazing, and costly.

Arrayed speakers can be elevated, but it's really hard to stick the compact Bose systems on poles and push them 10 feet into the air whereas more conventional cabinets can be put on strong stands and elevated quickly.

You could even rent/borrow a Bose system for a gig too and see how flexible it is or isn't for you and your current situation.

Going on our opinions is pretty limited compared to personal experience.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 AM

I think the Behringer is what you should buy for your applications. While no speaker sounds like the other the added low end will get you very close to what you need. Your QSCs are no slouches but sound thin without a sub.

I have 4 mixers, 2 headphone amps, 1 converter, 1 multi FX, 2 midi controller and a monitor controller from Behringer. Had other Behringer mixers, converters before since 20 years - maybe someone remembers the old black units. Not a single fail with those units.
All my other equipment is expensive stuff (Neve, Millennia, Bricasti, ...) and had to be repaired more that once.
I'm not saying that Behringer is better than Neve but you shouldn't worry about reliability.

I also had the B1200D subwoofer for a while and regret selling it. Would be a perfect match for my 2 Bose S1s.
Only thing is that my B1200D rattled a little bit at full volume, but that wasn't too bad. Maybe this is fixed meanwhile. Maybe here is somebody who can confirm this.

Good luck & much fun
Peter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification