The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Lighting on a budget for Temple/Church Coffeehouse

My Temple is holding a Coffeehouse Fundraiser in a couple of weeks on a Saturday evening in our social hall. We have a great lineup of musicians from the surrounding community, we have our silent auction items, we will have a ton of home-made desserts. What we don't have is "stage lighting" so we can dim the rest of the lights in the hall and highlight the performers.

I've been given a small budget of around $100-$150 (slight flexibility to go a little higher if needed) to get this done, but haven't a clue where to begin. There won't be more than 2-3 musicians up there at any given time, so I don't think I need a lot of lights, but would like at least something to allow me to create the "stage", although it's really just a corner of the hall, no riser, nothing to suggest a stage.

After doing a bit of research online, I think I would like to avoid buying a truss or stand to hang lights if possible, the stage area is only 12-15 feet across and I would like to avoid any additional "stuff" in front of the musicians, as we will already have speakers mounted on stands & mics on stands as well. We do have a dropped ceiling and could strap the lights up there is necessary.

However, is there such a thing as floor lights that I could place just in front of the "stage", that point up at the musicians, that are discreet and spread out the light so that it doesn't appear the musicians are having flashlights shined in their faces? Appreciate any advice on this, brands, prices, where to buy etc.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:14 PM

A few table lamps (with lampshades) using colored bulbs will work nicely for what you are trying to do.

Beware of using dimmers on your regular lights while the performance is underway, since, depending on the circuit layout, this usually introduces noise into your audio, if you are using amplification.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM

I hadn't considered that as an option, that actually might work nicely to create an intimate setting for acoustic music. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:16 PM

Yep, it's "coffeehouse," so make it one. Roll out a 15' x 20' carpet on the stage area, stick a few stools and a hi-top or two, and have an end table on each side of the stage with a lamp. A funky candle on each hi-top is a nice touch.

If you need front lighting, pick up two or three of these (link below) at your local big-box store (lighting department) and install a bright colored bulb. Clear blue works great in a mellow musical setting. Sit them on the floor in front of the stage, pointed up at a 45 degree angle.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....LL._SX342_.jpg

It's called an "up light," and places like Wal Mart have 'em for about $8 each.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peegoo View Post
Yep, it's "coffeehouse," so make it one. Roll out a 15' x 20' carpet on the stage area, stick a few stools and a hi-top or two, and have an end table on each side of the stage with a lamp. A funky candle on each hi-top is a nice touch.

If you need front lighting, pick up two or three of these (link below) at your local big-box store (lighting department) and install a bright colored bulb. Clear blue works great in a mellow musical setting. Sit them on the floor in front of the stage, pointed up at a 45 degree angle.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....LL._SX342_.jpg

It's called an "up light," and places like Wal Mart have 'em for about $8 each.
Thank you for your suggestions, really warming to the idea of doing tables and table lamps, also really like the idea of candles for atmosphere. A question about the front lighting, since we are going to position the musicians in a corner of the room (walls behind us at right angles), if I put a couple of these "up lights" on the floor in front of the stage, do I have to worry about shadows on the walls behind the performers distracting the audience?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM

I have some small reflectors with sockets for ordinary Edison based bulbs these were quite cheap, and although I have incandescent bulbs in mine (I use them for photography) making them hot lights, you could easily substitute led bulbs for less heat. Mine have spring clamps which allow them to be easily fastened anywhere. They could be found in many camera shops, and they are cheap.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 PM

I wish you were near Cleveland. I have a follow spot with color gels and a tripod I am trying to sell for $50. I can’t believe I have had no takers on it and it has been a week on Craig’s and FB.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 PM

Try calling some of the local High School theatre teachers (there are some good programs in your area). There will probably be a student who can bring in some equipment to light your show for not much money. The teachers will know who can get the job done, and you'll be surprised at how eager theatre people are to help put on a show. Good Luck!!

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 PM

I have rented lights and stands from one of the local music stores, you could light a whole building for what they charge with your budget.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist View Post
I wish you were near Cleveland. I have a follow spot with color gels and a tripod I am trying to sell for $50. I can’t believe I have had no takers on it and it has been a week on Craig’s and FB.
A Super Trooper would be something cool to have. I used to use one back in the day.

To the OP: I would shun lights mounted on the floor of the stage pointing UP at the musicians.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic