The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Please advise about the tone of Redwood!

Hi all:

I've read all threads there are in this forum about redwood, but I would like some more specific feedback from redwood owners about the tone..

I have a cedar guitar, which is fantastic, but for my next guitar I'm considering between a redwood or sitka spruce top to contrast against my current cedar guitar, so need some advice. Here it goes!

1. Does redwood have more high-end sparkle/crispiness than cedar? (I know spruce has more high end than cedar.)

2. Does redwood sustain better than cedar/ sustain as well as sitka spruce? (cedar tends to lose sustain quite quickly when strummed hard)

3. Does redwood have a clearer low-E string than cedar comparatively, when fingerstyling? (I love the cedar's warmth, but the low E string sounds dull compared to the same guitar using sitka, which some might call it muddy) (Spruce's Low-E string clarity is what I'm looking for)

Inputs are appreciated! thanks!!!

Last edited by silverspear; 04-23-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

I have 2 giant redwood topped guitars, both with mahogany b&s.

In the hands of the 2 builders that created them, the redwood tops produce spectacular sounding guitars. Very sweet tone with days of sustain.

Again, these were built by luthiers who knew how to make these top sing.

Steve
Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 PM

Bear in mind a statement like "my cedar top low E is muddy and dull" is a characteristic with YOUR guitar, it is not a characteristic of cedar done properly. The sound of a Lowden's low E on their cedar topped guitars is legendary........loud, super clear, very detailed and crisp, grand piano like with endless sustain. What guitar do you have?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:38 PM

My apologies, I should have been more specific.. let's compare the sound relative between 2 tonewoods. I have compared 2 identical guitars, one with cedar and one with spruce.. in all instances, the low E string on the spruce will be more airy and crispy than the equivalent on Cedar. This is what I am trying to communicate in my question.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:30 AM

There was a discussion on this before at AGF.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=133048
Old 04-24-2018, 06:07 AM

Default redwood

Painting with a very broad brush, redwood will occupy the sonic space between cedar and spruce, but be a little closer to cedar. So much depends upon the variables of the specific piece of wood and how the builder handles things. I cannot speak to the Low E thing you experience other to say I have not heard of it before.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 AM

Like cedar but with more headroom!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
There was a discussion on this before at AGF.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=133048
Thanks for pointing out! I've already read that topic, but it doesn't answer specific questions that I have about sustain and the low E string.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:07 AM

My Lowden has sinker redwood and a beautiful low E and plenty of sustain. But I think sustain is pretty common for Lowden's. I'm not sure I'd guarantee the same results from every builder.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 AM

My McPherson 5.0XP has a redwood top. It’s a huge, huge sound. It is by far my best sounding guitar.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Painting with a very broad brush, redwood will occupy the sonic space between cedar and spruce, but be a little closer to cedar. So much depends upon the variables of the specific piece of wood and how the builder handles things. I cannot speak to the Low E thing you experience other to say I have not heard of it before.
^ This should answer your question quite well. My understanding is that redwood is closer to cedar than to spruce and has much of the warmth of cedar, but with perhaps a little more clarity and headroom. It is known as being a very good finger picking wood, but can take a moderate flat pick as well. I am currently having a sinker redwood and walnut guitar being built by a local luthier.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM

I really don't have that much experience, but it seems to me that Redwood is harsher, brighter, and sharper sounding than Cedar. I spoke to a builder a few weeks ago because I was looking for a guitar with clarity and 'round' trebles, and he adviced me against Redwood because, apparently, it produces 'sharp' trebles. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, of course...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion