The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2017, 02:55 PM

It works well for a single performer. One night at the Southern California Slack Key Society the house P.A. was cutting out, so I brought one of my BA-330's in. This was at a restaurant club where there was not a lot of ambient noise and it filled the room well, using the kickstand feature to elevate the sound. In a noisier room, I would stereo two BA-330's and mount them high on speaker stands:

Old 05-22-2017, 10:32 AM

If he is still in the UK..he might check this out

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/a-fresco/
Old 05-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
If he is still in the UK..he might check this out

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/a-fresco/
The people from Laney told me that

* Laney AH4x4 is less loud but clearer

* A-Fresco is louder but more midrange.

That's why I took the AH4x4. I prefer a straight-clear sound than a loud mid-range heavy sound.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-22-2017, 12:54 PM

Default Busking amp recommendation please

My big problem with so many of these options is the number of channels. My most common playing situation is working with a girl singer where I am also singing. With the Street Cube EX I am using my Boss VE-8 plugged into the stereo input of the Street Cube EX which takes care of my vocal and guitar and leaves two channels free. One of these goes to the other singer and one is still available for guest artists. That and I have an eighth inch stereo input for BGM if I need it. I also just got a second Street Cube EX which doubles the overall wattage and input channels. I've replaced the speakers in both amps with better sounding Jensens. The overall volume is limited, but it sounds really excellent right up to that limit. Extra AA battery holder packs are $12 directly from Roland. I have the ones that came with the amps plus two extra. I'm using 2700mAh AA batteries that quick charge and output the maximum length of time which should be four or five hours at full power. At that point, I have spares in holders ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by lkingston; 05-22-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:01 PM

I also have a Carvin S600B with three extension cabinets, but that is in the shop right now. When it was working battery life was just a couple of hours. Once it died, there were no spares. You needed power. Power was also halved on batteries. The internal battery is a relatively heavy motorcycle one. A lithium ion one would probably be better. I really liked that unit before my tech issues, but not because of the battery feature. That is probably its weakest feature.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:49 PM

Ikingston,

If you look Back to the list of options I posted for numbfingers, one of them was a k2.energy lithium 12v 10ah for $120 on eBay. Seller says it's new and it will fit in place of your s600b's stock battery. It'll be far lighter and should last around 40% longer.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Ikingston,

If you look Back to the list of options I posted for numbfingers, one of them was a k2.energy lithium 12v 10ah for $120 on eBay. Seller says it's new and it will fit in place of your s600b's stock battery. It'll be far lighter and should last around 40% longer.
Is it relatively easy to swap out batteries?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I also have a Carvin S600B with three extension cabinets, but that is in the shop right now. When it was working battery life was just a couple of hours. Once it died, there were no spares. You needed power. Power was also halved on batteries. The internal battery is a relatively heavy motorcycle one. A lithium ion one would probably be better. I really liked that unit before my tech issues, but not because of the battery feature. That is probably its weakest feature.

I purposely omitted this fact from all of my Carvin 600B posts and review, but mine failed as well. Now that you let the cat out of the bag, I don't feel so bad. I sent mine back for a full refund and went with a mixer and powered speakers, and a JBl Eon One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Is it relatively easy to swap out batteries?

From the point of view of replacing it when it goes bad it's pretty easy: maybe a half hour job. It's not something that you would want to do at a gig though.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Ikingston,

Will that charge properly from the S600B charging system? The way that Carvin does it is that it charges every time it's plugged in and turned on. I don't know if there is some sort of sensor that stops the charging process when it reaches a full charge. That could be an issue with a lithium battery. I'll ask their support the next time I talk to them about my current repair.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 PM

There should be some volt sensing inside the Carvin that shuts the sealed lead acid (SLA) down before it falls below the critical 10volts. Anything less and the battery will become quickly damaged. The lithium battery has a battery management system in it, a circuit board that will both protect the lithium from on over-discharge and regulate its charge to permit use with a car charger, which is probably the same circuit that the Carvin uses. It should work just fine.

Martinguitdave, how could you post reviews of a product and omit reporting its early death? I don't know how to ask without directly calling out your name but you've owned so many pieces of equipment and reviewed much of it. I'm sure it's important to you that people use those reviews as information they ought too consider when they're looking to buy themselves.

Leaving the critically important resolution of a review, if only because it's not manufacturer friendly leaves you in a very rough spot with your audience.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Martinguitdave, how could you post reviews of a product and omit reporting its early death? I don't know how to ask without directly calling out your name but you've owned so many pieces of equipment and reviewed much of it. I'm sure it's important to you that people use those reviews as information they ought too consider when they're looking to buy themselves.

Leaving the critically important resolution of a review, if only because it's not manufacturer friendly leaves you in a very rough spot with your audience.

It's a good question. There was very little information on the internet about this unit. My review ended up getting some legs, and I decided to leave it stand.

Because I quickly determined that the unit wasn't for me, I didn't want to prejudice any buyers with my issue. My issue was related to hissing from the amplifier. I also did not give Carvin a chance to diagnose and repair the problem. I just asked for a refund.

Had I stuck with it, or had it repaired, I would have felt justified in giving it bad marks. At the time, I thought it would be unfair.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-22-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:32 PM

MartinGitDave ot any less trusted
Quote:
There should be some volt sensing inside the Carvin that shuts the sealed lead acid (SLA) down before it falls below the critical 10volts. Anything less and the battery will become quickly damaged. The lithium battery has a battery management system in it, a circuit board that will both protect the lithium from on over-discharge and regulate its charge to permit use with a car charger, which is probably the same circuit that the Carvin uses. It should work just fine.

MartinGuitDave is not any in the bit less trusted by us, Danny. You have earned that mistrust. You hate Carvin and I get that. I trust Carvin over any and all of your opinions, as I have had great results with their American Manufactured products and service over 3 decades. Ric
Old 05-23-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
MartinGitDave is not, in any bit, less trusted by us... Ric

Thanks Rick.

Danny, I would further add that my hesitation to append my review was based on the fact that I purchased from the initial batch of a first generation product. While the 600b it is a follow up to their previous battery product, it's my understanding that it was redesigned from the ground up. It's extremely innovative. There is, literally, nothing like it on the market.

Secondly, I posted the review specifically because folks, who were looking to purchase the product, were very curious about my experience with it. I had not planned to say anything. I just intended to send it back quietly.

But when pressed by other AGF members, I thought it would be a disservice if I didn't share my conclusion - that it wasn't for me. In doing so, out of fairness, I thought it would be prudent to share who I think the intended market would be.

In summary, in the words of Ricky Nelson:

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well. You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."

Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Haven't spent some years working as the equipment set-up director for Harry Pearson and The Absolute Sound Magazine, a high-end audio magazine and Harry being perhaps the worlds most revered audio reviewer:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/1...ies-at-77.html

The ethics of reviewing audio have been recited to me in both kindness and anger. I know them very well and while you may think that I'm being unfair somehow, in pointing out that omitting critical information about a reviewed products basic integrity and function is a failure of trust, you might look to recent law regarding blog posts and reviews.

These days, even casual reviews are subject to tests of truth and integrity and legally, both manufacturers and interested readers that can prove harm from your posted reviews can take you to court for problems like this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124287328648142113

http://ideas.time.com/2013/01/07/yel...-can-get-sued/

While you're not a professional reviewer and aren't required to be aware of this stuff, your reviews do get attention and you'd do well to research it all some.

RicDoug,

You say I've 'earned that mistrust' and that I 'hate Carvin'. These are obtuse (baseless, idiotic) accusations. I'd love to hear your evidence for proof of either. I'd like to point out that more than 75% of your posts(or some number close to it) promote and/or mention Carvin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification