The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2016, 07:43 AM

Default End pin jack idea

I had a product idea I thought might be cool. I am getting away from having a battery bag and preamp in the body of my guitar. I want as little stuff inside the body as possible. I will be installing a K&K Pure Mini in my J200 and I just purchased a Red Eye preamp.

The K&K will cut it easily for most gigs (I play in a acoustic duo), but when I play with a band it would be nice to be able to install something like a Sunrise passive sound hole pickup for better gain before feedback.

The product: An end pin jack that has two 1/8" inputs. One that goes nowhere/does nothing (GNDN) and one that connects to the 1/4" out.

Use: My default would be the K&K plugged into the jack that goes to the 1/4" out (I will have to solder on an 1/8" plug to cable of the K&K). For the volume gigs I move the K&K 1/8" to the GNDN jack, pop in the Sunrise, and then connect the Sunrise to the 1/"8 jack that goes to the output. This will give me two easily changeable pickup configurations.

Why the GNDN dummy jack? This keeps the K&K cable from flopping around inside the guitar.

Thoughts? Idea? Could you use one?

Here is a very bootleg mockup of what I am talking about:

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Actually........that's such a good idea I don't know why someone hasn't already come up with it. You should run with that.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 AM

how about a 1/4" trs (stereo) jack with each permanently hooked up and a common ground? then you could use a balance pot to blend them or a switch to use one or the other
Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
how about a 1/4" trs (stereo) jack with each permanently hooked up and a common ground?
I thought about that but that complicates the output. You will need a specialty cable to plug the guitar in like a TRS to two mono 1/4". Still easily doable though.

Actually now that I think about it, using a mono 1/4" would short the jack connected to the ring so it could work both ways! With a mono cable one jack is shorted. With a TRS cable you have two outputs.

Great Idea Leighton!

Hmmmmm.......
Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 AM

The only downside I see is that with the current design you have to reach all the way into the guitar, probably removing the strings to get access to reach the plugs. Nice idea though.
Maybe you could place the output/gndn double socket on the end of a wire coming out of the endpin that runs at least half way to the soundhole so it would be accessible for quicker and easier switching without having to get right inside the guitar every time
Old 04-21-2016, 08:09 AM

I would get a project box at radio-shack, run a trs cable to a trs female on the box, put a blender and a switch on it, then you would have a lot of control on/off, off/on and on/on with blend
Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 AM

Seems like a good idea. I think Trance has a similar setup. The only downside I can see is dust causing a problem with the connection inside the guitar. It won't be so easy to clean. I guess that, ans possibly a better connection, is the benefit of hard wiring.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
The only downside I see is that with the current design you have to reach all the way into the guitar, probably removing the strings to get access to reach the plugs. Nice idea though.
Maybe you could place the output/gndn double socket on the end of a wire coming out of the endpin that runs at least half way to the soundhole so it would be accessible for quicker and easier switching without having to get right inside the guitar every time
Good point. But the idea of having it as part of the end pin is that you could loosen the strings and just feel your way and push the plug in with one hand. If they are on a cable you would need to hold both both ends in order for them to make the connection. I guess the cable could be long enough to fish out of the guitar, but my goal is the least amount of wire inside of the body of the guitar. Thanks emmsone!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Seems like a good idea. I think Trance has a similar setup. The only downside I can see is dust causing a problem with the connection inside the guitar. It won't be so easy to clean. I guess that, ans possibly a better connection, is the benefit of hard wiring.
Just checked out the Trance. Very similar but they have a preamp that requires a battery. I'm staying totally passive so I have no battery and minimal cabling inside the guitar. Great design though. Regarding cleaning, simply spray a little DeOxit D5 an an 1/8" and plug in and out a few times. Thanks martingitdave!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
I would get a project box at radio-shack, run a trs cable to a trs female on the box, put a blender and a switch on it, then you would have a lot of control on/off, off/on and on/on with blend
Cheap and easy to build! Excellent...
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 AM

I have two JJB transducers and a Sunrise magnetic pickup soldered to a TRS endpin in one of my guitars. I then the signal goes to a DIY piezo preamp/splitter where I bypass the Sunrise and boost the JJB transducers. Works fine.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
I have two JJB transducers and a Sunrise magnetic pickup soldered to a TRS endpin in one of my guitars. I then the signal goes to a DIY piezo preamp/splitter where I bypass the Sunrise and boost the JJB transducers. Works fine.
Sure this will work but I don't like having the Sunrise installed when I'm playing acoustically. I wan to be able to remove it quickly.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepopp View Post
Sure this will work but I don't like having the Sunrise installed when I'm playing acoustically. I wan to be able to remove it quickly.
I agree that cleaning at that jack would be a pain. Plus, as jack contact points oxidize (and they will), you'll eventually run into a static mess if you play percussively or move the guitar much during performances.

I like the idea of a quick disconnect, so why not bring the 1/8 jack up to the inside lip of the sound hole? Then removal is very quick for the Sunrise...and...it's MUCH easier to swab some alcohol on the pickup's 1/8" plug to insert and keep ahead of the oxidation...?

Just a thought.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM

Couldn't you achieve the same thing just by mounting a suitable clip inside
the body to hold K&K cable while you have the Sunrise plugged in?
No special part required.

_Roger
Old 04-26-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Couldn't you achieve the same thing just by mounting a suitable clip inside
the body to hold K&K cable while you have the Sunrise plugged in?
No special part required.

_Roger
Totally! That is probably what I am going to end up doing. I don't think there will be any way to two 1/8" jacks next to each other and still have it fit through the 1/2" end pin hole. I would like to see a sturdy 1/4" to 1/8" end pin jack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification