The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSTR View Post
Are most of you who use iPads onstage working with the 9.7 inch display? Anyone using the mini, or is that too small?
Hi ROSTR....

I've seen younger guys using the smaller version, but with my nearly 65 year old eyes, the 9.7'' is imperative.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM

I have large songbook (lyrics and guitar chords) done my self in PowerPoint that I'm thinking to use it with iPad (I also have iKlip). What would be the best solution to use in Apple world (I don't have PowerPoint on iPad) and I wouldn't prefer to convert it to PDF format because sometimes I needs to edit lyrics or chords.
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
I have large songbook (lyrics and guitar chords) done my self in PowerPoint that I'm thinking to use it with iPad (I also have iKlip). What would be the best solution to use in Apple world (I don't have PowerPoint on iPad) and I wouldn't prefer to convert it to PDF format because sometimes I needs to edit lyrics or chords.
Hi Justinian...

Perhaps Apple's Keynote for iPad will read PowerPoint files? It does on the computer side of things (both reads and exports to PowerPoint).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Was with a band member at practice and we were working on a new song. He didnt have it, as we were leaving I emailed the PDF to his home of our arrangement from my Ipad through OnSong. Very cool.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM

I Need to check out On Song.

I love using my iPad for practice/rehearsal and I just use a regular music stand and find it works great.

Oh, and count me as one of the folks who appreciates/needs the bigger screen.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
Your joking about cutting the back off of the case..........right??????

That cover has prevented more flying liquid from hitting my iPad than I care to think of. On set breaks, that cover goes over the screen for protection. I like the fact that the case is a total separate entity. So I can still use my iPad at work and at play too.

Well.... what ever works.... as long as it works for you. That's the motto I live by, or at least try.

Brad
No, Brad, I'm not kidding. I did cut the cover flap off; just didn't care for that big black rectangle being usable from the audience, and it's just a quick swap-out from my regular iPad case to this one. Can't say that I've ever needed the splash protection! Anyway I'm loving it....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM

Used my Ram-Mounts iPad setup last weekend at an outdoor gig and it was fantastic. Rock solid and fully adjustable. I loved it. I have photos and part numbers if that would help. All items are available on my website at http://www.synergymountingsystems.com.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
.tom the übergeek

I use this http://www.criskenna.com/xclip.html
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM

I use Setlist Maker and an iKlip. I don't bother converting to PDF, I just drop my word docs into Dropbox and then open them in Setlist Maker. I've got over 225 songs loaded, with one touch access to play an mp3 during practice, or one touch to annotate my word docs on the fly.

I can build setlists and email them to the bass player (who also uses Setlist Maker), and we keep list of all our gigs and notes for future reference.

I imported the songs one at a time but now whenever I add songs I also add them to a csv that I can import so I won't have to re-key everything should I ever have to rebuild my database. The developer is very responsive to suggestions too. For $3.99 and a few bucks more to email lists it's a great tool.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 AM

Do you think Set List Maker has anything over OnSong? On Song has a direct connection to DropBox, which is nice.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 AM

OnSong reads word .doc files, PDF files, .txt files and its own format which is ASCII based.

It will do a search on the internet and find the song if you know the title or artist.

It has its own built-in conversion/editor if you want to use it. The only reason I edit or convert some songs to the OnSong format is to be able to switch keys on the fly.

It can auto scroll, you can set the timing yourself or use a generic foot pedal.

I will admit to only looking at the Setlist maker webpage, so I have no experience using it, however, I found it to be a little over complicated and again limited in formats and use. IMHO.

Yes, I am a OnSong fan. Your right about the DropBox feature and I have seen if you can input the proper setup, that it will work from google drive too,..... I have not set this up yet, need to get the specific settings.

What ever program or app or stand you use.... the iPad is great for this use. I will not go back to a binder, unless the battery dies
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
...OnSong reads word .doc files, PDF files, .txt files and its own format which is ASCII based.
...It will do a search on the internet and find the song if you know the title or artist.
...It has its own built-in conversion/editor if you want to use it. The only reason I edit or convert some songs to the OnSong format is to be able to switch keys on the fly.
Hi b-man...

I own UnrealBook, ForScore and OnSong. I am familiar with with both OnSong and my favorite UnrealBook.

OnSong does not have it's own format. It follows ChordPro format (the ASCII based language you mentioned) with bracketed chords. If you subscribe (as in monthy money) to their database the chords are preformatted.

If I suck a song off the internet, I find my conversion-to-actual-usage time is about 10-15 minutes per song, and that editing has to take place on the iPad (which is tedious to say the least).

I want them to improve some areas of OnSong before it will become a regular in my arsenal. I can get around in it, but it's not any handier than UnrealBook when it comes to speed of loading songs, and building lists, and modifying them or jumping between songs on the fly.

Each has it's strengths, and each has it's limitations. And OnSong can display pdf files, but can only convert pdf files which are text based (there are graphic based pdf files which are just scans of a page and not actually originated from text).

I think we are at the stage where we can say either will do a great job in the hands of someone who knows how to use them.

If I were part of a large musical performing group comprised of instruments which were C instruments, Bb instruments, Eb instruments, F instruments (etc) and were using scores, the transpose function would be essential (or setting up multiple charts).

For the rest of the reading world, pdf files with the ability to attache a few notes on the page are adequate.

Both of the apps in my post have grown exponentially since inception, and both seem to be updating and expanding functions nearly monthly.

Setlist Maker is $4 out of the box, and you could spend another $14 to have the same features that either UnrealBook or OnSong provide - minus the ease of use.

ForScore I've retired because it kept 'choking' too often. It wouldn't freeze, just choke, which is unworkable in a live situation.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 AM

You are right Larry, ChordPro format is OnSong's native format. That is how OnSong saves its songs if you choose.

I rarely use the iPad to edit songs. With the dropbox feature, I edit the song on my computer, rarely takes more than 5 minutes if editing is needed, and save it to my dropbox folder. OnSong grabs it from there. (I wrote macros in word to grab ... space, chord, space or [chord] so formatting is much easier.)

I have found that at least 90% of the songs I have found so far, are already in ChordPro format, plus OnSong reads and auto-converts various formats of ChordPro such as when the Chords are on the line above rather than in front of the text.

As for PDF files, that is the beauty of OnSong, it can display both graphic and text based PDF files and can edit the text based ones. I do not know of any of the other apps that can convert a graphic based PDF..... are there any?

The transpose function is a requirement for me. We sometimes change things up by using a different key or if a guest singer needs to be in a lower or higher key.

You are also very right about the value of OnSong,.... it offers everything the others do, and more, for less cost. I got my app for $6.99, I think its 7.99 now.

Almost forgot, I love the ability to attach a mp3 or song to the displayed song. I can then practice and play along with the music and words!
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 03-31-2013, 01:06 PM

Larry will unrealbook zoom and crop a pdf file on the iPad. There is a Android based tablet app that does not from what I have read. This feature may be useful to me as I can make some chord charts even larger and easier to see lol.

as for anyone using OnSong with that zoom and crop a PDF file.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
Larry will unrealbook zoom and crop a pdf file on the iPad. There is a Android based tablet app that does not from what I have read. This feature may be useful to me as I can make some chord charts even larger and easier to see lol.

as for anyone using OnSong with that zoom and crop a PDF file.
Hi leesam...

Zooming takes the place of cropping…and UnrealBook remembers where you zoomed, and how you framed the page till you close the app.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification