The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 AM

Default solo review

Thank you for your great review!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 AM

TO JOE BARBIERI:
Joe, you and your colleagues should be very proud of this excellent product, and I compliment and salute you! You privately UNDER-sold it to me, but with confidence and faith in your product, which I respect greatly.
Way to go Joe, and Fishman!

Mike,

Thanks for the posted reviews. It takes time to do that and we appreciate it. I'm glad you like the amp. This has been a groundbreaking project for us and there are lots of people here at Fishman that deserve this thank you. I'll be happy to pass it along.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barbieri View Post
TO JOE BARBIERI:
Joe, you and your colleagues should be very proud of this excellent product, and I compliment and salute you! You privately UNDER-sold it to me, but with confidence and faith in your product, which I respect greatly.
Way to go Joe, and Fishman!

Mike,

Thanks for the posted reviews. It takes time to do that and we appreciate it. I'm glad you like the amp. This has been a groundbreaking project for us and there are lots of people here at Fishman that deserve this thank you. I'll be happy to pass it along.
Joe,

Are there any subwoofers in the future (I know the SoloAmp is not "primarily" intended to need one)? Would Fishman make a recommendation?

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Thanks For The Thanks

Thanks for the nice replies fellas - I was just trying to pass on real-life info to those interested. I tend to get pretty lengthy and wordy, and for that and my personal opinions and biases, I appreciate your indulgence.

I also appreciate your acknowledgement Joe B!

Best, Mike
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Now, will Bose respond with a "trimmed" down version to compete with the Fishman price wise....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Joe,

Are there any subwoofers in the future (I know the SoloAmp is not "primarily" intended to need one)? Would Fishman make a recommendation?
My SoloAmp will be here on Wednesday!!!

I have no experience with subs other than my Bose B1's. I'm pondering a small bass amp, like an SWR Workingman's 12 for my Porchboard. I'd run vocals and guitar through the SoloAmp, my Porchboard through the bass amp and be done.

Would I be better off with a powered sub and a crossover? If I went that route would I run my Porchboard through the Aux in on the SoloAmp and let the crossover take care of sending that to the sub?

I might skip all of this and just use the SoloAmp for smaller/no Porchboard shows and the Bose L1 for the larger shows but I'm just trying to think ahead a bit.

Matt
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Sometime this week my GC will have SoloAmps and I will do an audition and play with some subwoofer configurations (if necessary).

With just vocals and acoustic guitar a sub is probably not necessary, with Aux tracks with bass or drums maybe.

The "fair" setup pricewise is 2 SoloAmps and a $500 powered sub against an L1 with sub, I know how that will turn out and you have a far superior duo system where you can monitor each other. You can buy a $500 mixer against the cost of the tone match to keep the playing field level.

Interesting...................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Sometime this week my GC will have SoloAmps and I will do an audition and play with some subwoofer configurations (if necessary).
I'm looking forward to that review! I plan to try and do the same at my GC, though they dont have many powered subs in stock so it my be difficult. There is another GC about 30 min from me that I know has a used 18" JBL that I think would be a nice fit, may run out there when they get them in stock and try it out.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 AM

My Bose L1 Model II sounds horrible (to me) without a sub, fwiw.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
I think the L1, Model 2 has to be run with at least one B1 (sub.) That is why you cannot buy a Model 2 without a B1. I don't know if that means it simply won't work at all without the B1 or, as Earthworm said, it will sound bad.

Matt
Old 09-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Guest 720

Matt, if you could make the Baltimore gathering next weekend to show off your new toy, that'd be great. Might be a little out of the way for you though.

John
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrhd View Post
Matt, if you could make the Baltimore gathering next weekend to show off your new toy, that'd be great. Might be a little out of the way for you though.

John
Hi John,
I was just in Baltimore today! My wife had a conference up there so my son and I joined her. We went up last night and hung out at the Inner Harbor with all the happy Ravens fans. Once my son went to sleep I walked down to the ESPN Zone and watched my Packers play! The outcome wasn't great but I had fun! I love Baltimore and if you let me know where and when and if I can get away, I'll drive up!

Matt
Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Without the bass module (which technically is not a subwoofer) the response of the L1 goes down to around 110 Hz which is adequate for most vocals. The low E of a guitar is approximately 82 Hz so many guitarists would want to have the bass module.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Without the bass module (which technically is not a subwoofer) the response of the L1 goes down to around 110 Hz which is adequate for most vocals. The low E of a guitar is approximately 82 Hz so many guitarists would want to have the bass module.
Again, that is with the Classic or the Model 1 L1. The Model 2 requires the use of a sub. I found this from one of the @ Bose guys on the Bose forum:

"It is not designed to function without a bass module like the Classic and model I.

Why? The L1(tm) model II Cylindrical Radiator (tm) is un-ported, unlike the Classic/model I which has a port. The ported models can reproduce a moderate amount of frequencies on their own, hence why you don't need a B1."

Matt
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Again, that is with the Classic or the Model 1 L1. The Model 2 requires the use of a sub. I found this from one of the @ Bose guys on the Bose forum:

"It is not designed to function without a bass module like the Classic and model I.

Why? The L1(tm) model II Cylindrical Radiator (tm) is un-ported, unlike the Classic/model I which has a port. The ported models can reproduce a moderate amount of frequencies on their own, hence why you don't need a B1."

Matt
The crossover point of the original L1 when the bass module is connected is 180 Hz. Do you know if the crossover point remains the same on the Model II?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification