The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Curious - at $500 will it last 4X as long as my gas-powered pollution-creating mower? I just started the 6th season of my $125 Kmart mower. Only maintenance - check the oil, and replace the air filter a couple of times, clean the spark plug about once a season.
My $500 Honda lasted 18 years. I don't want a $125 gas-powered POC push mower any more than I want an Esteban.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM

I am loving my new Ryobi 20” 40w Lithium. We are located on a “corner” of a standard suburban cul-de-sac so we have somewhat more lawn than most, perhaps ¼ acre. I can get ¾ of the job done on a single charge, but I bought a second battery that rides in the mower so I can swap ‘em just like that. My Ryobi weed wacker uses the same battery and does everything right. Home Depot has the exclusive on Ryobi and they have sales. I got the mower, the wacker with a battery, and a third battery for under $500 total.

Last edited by David MacNeill; 05-21-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Not 16”, but 20”. Whoops.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 PM

This is a lawnmower. No noise, no batteries, no fumes … just the smell of fresh-cut grass.

http://www.photos-public-domain.com/...push_mower.jpg
Old 05-20-2018, 07:33 AM

I’ve had a cheap “Lawn Boy” for about 4 years now and it’s been quite reliable. First-pull starts, etc.

I went to sharpen up the blade yesterday and noticed that the wheels were pretty badly worn... Plastic bodies with no bushings.

So I looked around for replacements....They all seem to run at least 10 bucks apiece and the better ones with bushings and/or bearings as much as 20 bucks.

40 dollars for wheels for a 150.00 lawnmower?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
This is a lawnmower. No noise, no batteries, no fumes … just the smell of fresh-cut grass.
You are correct, it is a lawnmower. Not, however, one that I could use.
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I don’t own the EGO battery powered lawn more but I do have 3 other EGO battery powered devices; a leaf blower, trimmer, and chainsaw. They all work better than expected and it’s great to be able to swap the batteries out. Only bad part is it leaves me with no excuse for down time.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Update: I picked up the Ego this morning. An hour after getting home, I mowed my lawn with it for the first time. Impressions:

1) the battery took an hour to charge for the first time. Mowing took me 40-45 minutes, and the battery had 25% charge left when I was done.
2) it's light. It's way easier to handle than the old Honda. I actually just pushed it for much of the flatter part of my yard.
3) I can't walk fast enough to keep up with the self-propel on the fastest setting.
4) it's VERY quiet. That makes (for me) a huge difference in the overall mowing experience, not to have that engine noise blasting away.
5) cut quality is excellent overall. It doesn't seem to mulch quite as well as the Honda, but at this time of the year, until the growth pattern levels out across the various areas of the lawn, the Honda was a bit erratic as well.

We'll see how the summer goes - but right now, I'd have to say I'm delighted with my purchase.
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-20-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Cutting the grass on a nice summer day, a bit of breeze, with a coffee or beer. Great way to enjoy a couple of hours.
Here in Mississippi, it’s nice when cutting season begins in the spring. I enjoy being outside when it’s nice and breezy.
In the summer time when it’s mid 90’s plus combined with the terrible humidity we have here, there’s nothing enjoyable about it except for when I’m done and get to take my frosty beer mug out of the freezer and pour a really cold one to cool down with after changing out my soaking wet clothes.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:18 PM

I'm giving this electric mower thing second thoughts .
I can fire up the gas generator to charge it .
Yes , there may be some real possibilities here .
Old 05-20-2018, 10:56 PM

^ LOL

Electric stuff definitely only fits certain applications...
Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
God Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.

That's pretty much how I feel about lawn culture. And that joke didn't even mention one of the most frustrating things; going to all that trouble to create an open space with soft ground, perfect for bare feet, but then freaking out if anyone walks on it.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post

That's pretty much how I feel about lawn culture. And that joke didn't even mention one of the most frustrating things; going to all that trouble to create an open space with soft ground, perfect for bare feet, but then freaking out if anyone walks on it.
Not an issue here . I have a lawn , not a golf course .
Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 AM

My mower is very reliable. His name is Dave, he comes every Saturday and runs on two mugs of sweet tea.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I'm replacing a gas powered Honda, which despite my benign negligence for the last 18 years, is actually falling apart. I repaired one handle failure last fall, but today's episode has resulted in bits hanging off it as a result of metal fatigue beyond anything routine maintenance might have prevented, even if I'd been so inclined.

After much research, I have purchased one of these as a replacement:

https://egopowerplus.com/products/21...led-lawn-mower

So, does anyone else here have an Ego?

(I could have had so much fun with that question, but I hate clickbait thread titles )
Why would you not want a Honda HRX mower since you got such great service from your previously abused Honda? Personally,I wouldn't look at anything but a Honda.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
Why would you not want a Honda HRX mower since you got such great service from your previously abused Honda? Personally,I wouldn't look at anything but a Honda.
Oh, lots of reasons. While Honda makes a great mower, it's heavy, loud and smelly. It requires maintenance (oil, air filters) and gas. I'm not getting any younger.

When I was considering alternatives, I realized that the electric technology had advanced to a degree that made considering something like the Ego (or Ryobi, or Worx) worthwhile. After reading all the positive reviews for the Ego, and watching countless YouTube videos, including a direct comparison with a Honda, I was convinced it was worth the investment.

If the Ego didn't exist, I'd buy another Honda in a heartbeat, but it does, so I didn't
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic