The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Jim Croce
Gordon Lightfoot
John Denver
Dan Fogelberg
Paul Simon
James Taylor
Chet Atkins

I think that's it

Best,
PJ
Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Martin Simpson
Ralph McTell
James Taylor
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 11-25-2017, 04:57 PM

As a kid, I thought that acoustic guitars were for people who couldn't afford an electric. As I got older, I realized there was something to these acoustic guitars. Then, I got a copy of "Four Way Street" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and the acoustic guitars really caught my ear. And when I heard "Cowgirl in the Sand" by Neil Young, I knew I needed to get myself an acoustic. James Taylor, at that time, should get an honorable mention as an important acoustic influence on me.

And then there's Joe Kelly. He was a friend of mine from about when I was 21 and was an exceptional player and he taught at one of the local stores as well. I tried my darndest to learn basic Travis style fingerpicking but to no avail. And then one day, we were playing our guitars in his bedroom (we still lived with our parents) and I asked him how the heck do you do that (fingerpicking)? I'll always remember how he took a small scrap piece of paper and wrote down 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a, and then placed t (thumb) 1 (index finger) and 2 (middle finger) under the appropriated beats. I can't remember if I just started out with the thumb and alternating bass strings or used my index finger right away but, over time, I got it. Thank you, Joe!

I later worked in my third finger and branched out from pure Travis style. That little scrap of paper add a ton of enjoyment over a lifetime of playing. I lost track of Joe when we moved apart and started adult lives but I was able to reconnect via Facebook and let him know how thankful I was for his 'gift.'
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-25-2017, 05:25 PM

The Rockabilly rhythm guys, Johnny Cash in particular where all I wanted to do in the beginning was to learn as many strumming patterns/techniques to sound like a train.

Wasn't long thereafter that I gravitated towards fingerstyle and flatpicking also. (Think mostly Chet Atkins and Tony Rice).
Old 11-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Joni Mitchell, Michael Hedges, Pierre Bensusan,
and Michael Hedges!
[emoji1365]❤️
1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass
Old 11-26-2017, 11:53 AM

Jim Croce for his incredible skills as a singer, writer, and general "working man done good."
Maury Muehleisen (lead guitarist for Jim Croce) for his incredibly tasteful acoustic lead mastery
CSNY for their open tunings
David Crosby's wife for keeping him alive all of these years to produce great music
The healthy competition between Stephen Stills & Neil Young that gave us some of the 60s & 70s greatest music
Neil Young for palm muting & the use of the harmonica as fill
James Taylor for his pianistic arrangements on the guitar, his "owning" of every cover he ever performed, his hammer-ons and pull-offs, his generosity in providing a resurgence for acoustic guitar manufacturers and increasing sales 10 fold without demanding a commission, and his ability to be the "king of understatement" in his writing (e.g., "Her goodbyes are somewhat unrefined")
Dan Fogelberg for putting poetry to song & extracting every ounce of emotion out of his audience
Gordon Lightfoot for many things but primarily as evidence that we live in great times: here we have a man that sort of "flew under the radar," so to speak, a great songwriter, but never reaching the level of stardom that is commensurate with his talents, yet he is STILL worth about $30 million -- is this a great continent or what?

. . . and finally, for the best line ever written in a song: "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Anyone know the song & artist?

Footnote to James Taylor's influence on acoustic guitar sales in the 70s: the Martin guitar cynics out there will say "yeah, but look what this crazy increase in demand did to the quality of Martins in the 70s when the factory was spitting out guitars like taffy."
Old 11-27-2017, 10:00 AM

John Cephas.

f-d
Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Bob Dylan, Neil Young, and Joseph Arva, my friend's father, who was the first to show us old-time country, alternating-bass/melody/strumming (Carter-style) playing.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-27-2017, 02:56 PM

. and finally, for the best line ever written in a song: "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Anyone know the song & artist?

If I remember correctly - Bob Seger wrote this and the song was "Against the Wind"

As far as acoustic guitarists who influenced me -

John Hurt
Leo Kottke & Peter Lang
David Bromberg
John Renbourn
Bonnie Raitt
Etta Baker
(among many)
Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 PM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

Up to the moment I became greatly influenced to play guitar I was set on playing classical piano. I was homeless at age 19 and was living out of a car with no job in Takoma Park, Md. I got some money from a drunk teacher hitting my car. It wasn't enough to do anything big so I decided to use it in a way to feel better. I saw a music teacher advertising introductory group classical guitar lessons for six weeks at $30.00. So I thought that a piano wasn't coming my way so why not and spent $300.00 on a classical guitar and took the lessons. At the end of the introductory lessons he asked me if I wanted to take private lessons. I told him my situation with little money. So he made a deal with me that I could have classical guitars lessons for free as long as I came to each session with mastery of the lesson. Well I jumped on the deal and I made it for three years + free lessons. I didn't stumble once and he kept his word. It ended sadly with him moving to Oregon. His name was Rene Berblinger, He was studying with Sophocles Papas, played and hung out with with Charlie Byrd. Rene did after hours in DC playing with Elizabeth Cotton, Hurt, and others. So all my lessons were finger style mixed from Classical to Cotton and Hurt finger picking and other styles and songs . His passion and compassion was the greatest influence on my guitar playing. Then most of the names that are the closest to me are Cotton, Hurt, Watson, Clapton, Hendrix, Hopkins, Davis, Bessie Smith, Blind Blake, Lonnie Johnson, Jorma Kaukonen, John Renbourn, Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughan. I listen to lots of different music not necessary finger style which influences my way I feel and think about playing music. Oh, I am low end guitar pick user. How do you do that, geeish, working on it. Julian Lage's and Toni Rice's guitar work has influence me to get with it and use a pick when its good for the music. You get the idea.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docyoung View Post
Up to the moment I became greatly influenced to play guitar I was set on playing classical piano. I was homeless at age 19 and was living out of a car with no job in Takoma Park, Md. I got some money from a drunk teacher hitting my car. It wasn't enough to do anything big so I decided to use it in a way to feel better. I saw a music teacher advertising introductory group classical guitar lessons for six weeks at $30.00. So I thought that a piano wasn't coming my way so why not and spent $300.00 on a classical guitar and took the lessons. At the end of the introductory lessons he asked me if I wanted to take private lessons. I told him my situation with little money. So he made a deal with me that I could have classical guitars lessons for free as long as I came to each session with mastery of the lesson. Well I jumped on the deal and I made it for three years + free lessons. I didn't stumble once and he kept his word. It ended sadly with him moving to Oregon. His name was Rene Berblinger, He was studying with Sophocles Papas, played and hung out with with Charlie Byrd. Rene did after hours in DC playing with Elizabeth Cotton, Hurt, and others. So all my lessons were finger style mixed from Classical to Cotton and Hurt finger picking and other styles and songs . His passion and compassion was the greatest influence on my guitar playing.
Great testimony.

I guess I owe a lot to my mom for getting a 1919 Lester Baby Grand for the living room in 1969.
With any family members around I played melodically and figured out chord inversions.
But if I had the piano to myself I played boogie woogie and wild experiments. R&B piano can be percussive, with rollicking swing counterpoint (in between the beat) that I later informed my right hand tunes on acoustic.

As far as performing artists. I love all the aforementioned.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshrager View Post
. and finally, for the best line ever written in a song: "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Anyone know the song & artist?

If I remember correctly - Bob Seger wrote this and the song was "Against the Wind"

As far as acoustic guitarists who influenced me -

John Hurt
Leo Kottke & Peter Lang
David Bromberg
John Renbourn
Bonnie Raitt
Etta Baker
(among many)
Yes. I had a student who came by today talking about his cheating girlfriend and i told him the line and told him to go listen to the song.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 PM

The Ventures
George Harrison and the Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Leo Kotke
Alex DiGrassi
Ed Gerhard
Pierre Bensusan
Raymond Gonzalez
Old 12-08-2017, 02:59 PM

I'm not sure who I learnt that Gmajor-Cadd9 move from. It could be the fellow on the left...

...or it could be the dude on the right.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 12-08-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Kris Kristofferson
Jerry Jeff Walker
Townes van Zandt
Guy Clark
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash

along with others already mentioned
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion