The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Default 42 Style 12 Fret Slope D Cocobolo Custom Build! David Dart

Howdy Folks! I recently took delivery of a custom build!!! Such a FUN process! Here's the story...

Luthier is David Dart... http://www.luthier.com/ Talk about an OG address huh, LOL... He has been building since the 60's and he builds a wide variety of stringed instruments. Check out his site for more info.

He is pretty under the radar, I first learned about him a few years back when I sold a Brazilian SCGC OM of mine to a local guy I met on Craigslist. When we were discussing my OM, he brought up that he owned a 00 from a luthier named Dart... Didn't ring a bell... Anyways, when i met him at his home, the 00 Dart was chilling on a stand in the corner. He showed it to me, and I was pretty floored... In fact, I was a hair shy to pull out my SCGC after hearing/playing his... To sum it up, Sold the Cruz, and had that Dart of his on my mind... I bugged him from time to time that I'd be interested in buying it from him. Eventually I did, and I played and loved her for a couple years.... Until, I used the 00 in partial trade back with David to build something bigger for me.. I'm 6'3... Dreads are like toys for me

Davids guitars are very appealing to me. I love that he builds so many different stringed instruments, and uses old school techniques... They have a sound that is very developed... It's very hard to believe my D12 is about a month old... It has way more character than MANY high end guitars that have been through my hands over the years...

View his blog and facebook page for more pics and details etc... So for those of you who have never heard of David Dart, check him out, for real

http://dartinstruments.blogspot.com/

Some of the facts.... Sitka top, Cocobolo back and sides, boxwood binding, 42 style trim, snakewood waverly tuners, Hide glue, French Polish, Spanish Heel, 1 13/16 and 2 5/16, 12 fret slotted, and 25.4 scale...

Some quick pics.. View the links posted for more please...

Old 09-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Old 09-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey Dave,
Looks very cool. Thanks for the heads up on Dart.

Steve
Old 09-26-2014, 04:13 PM

So, Diamond Dave, you are at it again, eh? It must be fun to do all the wheeling and dealing you do with high end instruments. Looks like a great guitar.

I like the way the head block is part of the neck and extends outward under the fretboard extension. This should theoretically add stability to the neck/body joint and help prevent future neck resets. That's my guess anyway.

Congratulations! Enjoy the heck out of it!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 09-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Sweet - very few people can get a French polish right...
Old 09-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Beauteous!
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments!!! Nice hearing from Y'all...

I was going to go with Varnish, but last moment chose French Polish... It turned out perfect, Davids application was pretty flawless... Now all I gotta do is not destroy his perty work! Fragile stuff...

Wheeling and dealing high end instruments.... Oh yea, whats more fun!!! ??? NOTHING imo

Future neck resets: Actually, this guitar has a "Spanish Heel" for a neck joint... It HAS a truss rod... A Spanish heel for sure has it's problems I hear, like NO easy neck resets, but also some advantages... It was not a specific request of mine etc, that's just the way Davids been building his guitars for the last 40+ years... And i'm not gonna suggest his tries something different

I fell in love with the tone of the first one I played, and I feel the neck joint plays a roll... It vibrates like a classical, and really is supper sonic sitting on my lap.... The stimulation I experience as I play is at a seriously maximum level... And thats priceless for me! Years down the line when a problem happens, like no more saddle to lower, heck, I'll worry about that then!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Default Beautiful!

I love seeing the build pictures! And she is beautiful too.

I have a Martin HDv of cocobolo and Adirondack. I picked it from over a dozen similar guitars, different woods but all Martins so really able to hear what cocobolo added. My guitar rings like a bell and has a cavernous rumble of bass with great overtones. It stood out for its clarity and, while I intended it primarily for strumming, I bought it because it is great for fingerstyle as well.

This must be a great guitar. Enjoy it!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Impressive !!
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 11-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Go David Dart...! Has anyone else here played David's work...? I ordered this D12 a couple years ago and "love" it so much I ordered another...! A short scale small jumbo, Sitka Coco with snake head slotted... pics and be seen in this blog I'm attaching, along with a batch of 3 others he just finished... I'll give a proper review when I receive the instrument.... Heads up Folks, I've owned many in my time, and few have excited me as much as Mr Darts work🎯

http://dartinstruments.blogspot.com/?m=1

http://www.luthier.com
Old 11-17-2016, 02:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post

Howdy Folks! I recently took delivery of a custom build!!! Such a FUN process! Here's the story...

Luthier is David Dart... http://www.luthier.com/ Talk about an OG address huh, LOL... He has been building since the 60's and he builds a wide variety of stringed instruments. Check out his site for more info.

He is pretty under the radar, I first learned about him a few years back when I sold a Brazilian SCGC OM of mine to a local guy I met on Craigslist. When we were discussing my OM, he brought up that he owned a 00 from a luthier named Dart... Didn't ring a bell... Anyways, when i met him at his home, the 00 Dart was chilling on a stand in the corner. He showed it to me, and I was pretty floored... In fact, I was a hair shy to pull out my SCGC after hearing/playing his... To sum it up, Sold the Cruz, and had that Dart of his on my mind... I bugged him from time to time that I'd be interested in buying it from him. Eventually I did, and I played and loved her for a couple years.... Until, I used the 00 in partial trade back with David to build something bigger for me.. I'm 6'3... Dreads are like toys for me

Davids guitars are very appealing to me. I love that he builds so many different stringed instruments, and uses old school techniques... They have a sound that is very developed... It's very hard to believe my D12 is about a month old... It has way more character than MANY high end guitars that have been through my hands over the years...

View his blog and facebook page for more pics and details etc... So for those of you who have never heard of David Dart, check him out, for real

http://dartinstruments.blogspot.com/

Some of the facts.... Sitka top, Cocobolo back and sides, boxwood binding, 42 style trim, snakewood waverly tuners, Hide glue, French Polish, Spanish Heel, 1 13/16 and 2 5/16, 12 fret slotted, and 25.4 scale...

Some quick pics.. View the links posted for more please...

I love that picture. A very romantic shot of the solitary luthier plying his craft.
The old school, classical neck joint is very interesting and seldom found on a steel string guitar.
I like it. Bet it does sound good.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Smile Whoaaaa...

If DD is singing this guitars praises, it must really SING!!!

Sure is cute..

Nice pics, too! And that is an,eccellent pic of the "Luthier at work"

Enjoy this big time

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-17-2016, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

That looks fantastic! Wow, very good choices on everything. How does it sound?
Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments y'all...! How does it sound? Well, I need to post one of my crummy IPhone videos of this bad boy... that will give a faint idea... very vintage I'd say, and very open and responsive from day one... Bold dry woody blooming notes, and loud... very stimulating in my hands and lap.. my best way of describing the tone of a Dart guitar would be somewhere between a Sexauer and a Somogyi... hmmm, that's got a good ring to it, should make a tee shirt slogan out of that, lol
Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Thanks for the comments y'all...! How does it sound? Well, I need to post one of my crummy IPhone videos of this bad boy... that will give a faint idea... very vintage I'd say, and very open and responsive from day one... Bold dry woody blooming notes, and loud... very stimulating in my hands and lap.. my best way of describing the tone of a Dart guitar would be somewhere between a Sexauer and a Somogyi... hmmm, that's got a good ring to it, should make a tee shirt slogan out of that, lol
Wow, that is high praise for sure!!! Congrats on such a stellar guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop