The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default OM deep body pickup choice?

HI, I am looking to get pickup system

play with full band, two keyboards, elect, bass and drum..

candidates
K&K (it's out~)
Fishman Gold plus 2
Fishman Matrix Infinity Acoustic Guitar Under Saddle Pickup
M80
LR Baggs Anthem

any recommendation?

I have Collings Deep body OM . German/Maple.

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18

Last edited by moga; 05-10-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:14 PM

Given the options you listed in the situation you'd describe, I would rule out the K&K. In my opinion (others like it more than me) the K&K is not a great choice in a full band setting.

To me, the Anthem is going to be superior to the pure USTs. Particularly if you go with the full anthem, here, then you've basically got a UST plus some more natural sound, which you can dial in to taste. You lose some of the flexibility with the anthem SL, but I still think it's a step up from nothing but a UST.

So for me it'd be between that an the M80. The M80 will be more plug-and-play and more feedback resistant. The anthem will sound more like your guitar at lower volumes. The m80 has the advantage of requiring no permanent modifications to your guitar except for drilling out the endpin-hole (assuming your guitar doesn't already have one), so I might lean that way, at least at first, and if you're not happy with it, consider the anthem, but if you mostly played in quieter settings I would probably try the anthem first.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Since you are in a band, a SBT like the K&K mini is risky. It may work well in some situations and in others no so much.

Besides the Anthem and M80 you are already considering, add a UST with an Aura unit to your list of possibilities.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:49 PM

Not sure why you guys don't think the K&K is bad in a full band setting. I use the Trinity system in a full band (drums, keys, bass, 2 electrics, and 3 vocals) every Sunday. I have zero feedback issues and we use wedge monitors!

I've played the Anthem in a Collings D1 and was not super impressed. It sounded good but lacked some clarity and attack that I get in my Trinity equipped Taylor 412k.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:30 PM

I have the Anthem SL in my small body Gibson, and the Fishman Ellipse Blend in my D-18. Both, dual source, and work well at higher volumes. I would have put the Fishman Blend in the Gibson, if it would have fit. Very realistic sound from both. Tried a Baggs soundhole pickup, but did not sound anything like an acoustic to my ear. The soundhole humbucker would be good for an aggressive slide guitar, especially through some gain.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinzak View Post
Not sure why you guys don't think the K&K is bad in a full band setting. I use the Trinity system in a full band (drums, keys, bass, 2 electrics, and 3 vocals) every Sunday. I have zero feedback issues and we use wedge monitors!

I've played the Anthem in a Collings D1 and was not super impressed. It sounded good but lacked some clarity and attack that I get in my Trinity equipped Taylor 412k.
Every Sunday at the same venue?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinzak View Post
To me, the main issue with the K&K is not feedback, but rather how "thuddy" it tends to sound when hit hard. Obviously, YMMV and it apparently works for you.

I also think there's a world of difference between the K&K mini (just the SBT sensors) and the trinity system. Adding a mic does wonders as far as making it sound more natural, although I still prefer other systems.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Well I have K&K trinity in another guitar. I only use it if I play solo... not with the band.~

I want something that give enough signal to the PA system.

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification