The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2004, 12:25 PM

Smile Recorded Original Tune If Anyone Is Interested...

Well, while taking some time to focus on playing live with the new band, I've been able to squeeze in a recording of a new song.

This one has a reggae-ish sort of vibe to it...and before anyone complains that there's a lot of background noise in the beginning...it's meant to be there (for various reasons). This is all done with acoustic guitars, bass, vocals, and a drum machine...oh, yeah, and a shaker. During my first mix down, I did manage to some how save over my original lead vocal (doh!), but fortunately I had a couple other (not as good) takes to chose from when mixing this version.

Let me know what you think of the mix and basically anything else you might want to comment on.

URL: http://www.roberttait.com/share/share.html
SONG: SHARE.MP3

Enjoy! and let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Robert Tait
Old 06-24-2004, 04:27 PM

VERY nice! I dig the tune, and I thought the mix was exceptional(listening via headphones). I love the lead guitar fills, and the rhythm popped nicely. My only non-positive impressions(i won't even call it a negative impression) would be the dual vocals at the end, came across as a tad busy...maybe the levels could be tweaked a bit, and i thought the lead guitar fill track could be bumped up just a smidgen. Very minor criticism, and probably not even worth mentioning, but you asked . Personally, I think it's a superb job, and I only wish I could do half that well.

What's your vocal setup, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM

Wow, Sounds really good! Makes me want to relax!

I'd share the same observations about the second vocal part right at the end. If it were me, I'd probably let is sit further back in the mix a little more. But just MO, others may love it.

Kind of a cool take on the whole island feel using acoustics instead of electrics.

My Band!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:11 PM

Great song Robert....I love the lead. I'd also like to know about your vocal setup.

2006 614CE
2006 Custom Shop Tele Thinline
2006 Fender Precision Bass
1987 Maton Custom
1981 Fender Tele Elite
1989 Les Paul
Old 06-24-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Thanks guys!

BARNECO: Thanks...and I'm glad you thought the mix was good! Yeah, the lead guitarist is killer...so is the bass player for that matter. It makes mixing it easier when you don't need to hide bad parts. That end mix of vocals was supposed to be just kind of a helter skelter thing. infact, bolth voices were done completely separet, and i just kind of blended them together, but you're right. I probably should have kept the secondary voice a little lower. Thanks for the great comments!

Oh, by the way, on vocals, I'm using a Studio Project C1 amped by an M-Audio Audio Buddy which runs into a Behringer Ultra Dyne Pro (which is a compressor) which runs into my Rolland VS-880EX (which is my 8 track digital recorder) There I think I put a light reverb on and a bit of a slapback delay to try and thicken it up a bit. I can probably elaborate more if you'd like. Thanks!

GDGROSS: Excellent! I'm glad to hear you want to relax. I like music that can chill me out. Thanks for the comments!

RICKSTER: Thanks man! I love those leads too! As I mentioned, my lead guy is amazing, much like the bass player...he just sits down and bangs it out. You can play them one song and they'll hop in like they've know it for years. It freaks me out! Anyway, see Barneco's response about details on the vocals...

Thanks for listening guys!

Robert Tait
Old 06-26-2004, 08:05 AM

Kudos my coconut drinking chiller dude kinda friend! haha
2002 Larrivee LV72KK
2002 Taylor 615ce
2002 Fender Eric Clapton Blackie
2012 Gibson Hummingbird
[email protected]
Old 06-26-2004, 08:14 AM

Sound quality is pretty good. I like the song. The vocal treatments are nice. Maybe a bit busy at the end as others have said.

While I think the lead playing is good. I think it sounds too country for a reggae tune. Unless you were going for a country/reggae thing. In which case it works on that level.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:18 AM

IAN: I just wanted to say thanks for checking out the tune! I'll pour a drink for you...

UTAH: Again, thanks for listening! I think on a future take, I'll probably tie the two vocals in better at the end. That's an interesting comment about the guitar solo...I totally agree on hindsight, but I don't think I was really looking for this tune to be exclusively reggae. I'm fine with tones of other music coming through...It's just my little spin...so i'm perfectly fine with a contry/reggae thing. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:36 PM

Great stuff! Keep at it!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:55 PM

cool tune man. i think the vocals at the end are cool. not to busy for me.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:33 PM

DCN100: Hey Thanks! I'll keep plugging away... Your from the Bay area huh? I'm from SF myself. I was in nob hill for 7 years, but just (regrettingly) moved out to the USF area. We'll probably be trying to play at some bars in the city soon, so if you happen to recognize this tune, feel free to come up and say hi!

AGGI182: What's happening my friend?! It's good to hear from you! How's all the writing going? Oh, i put up some lyrics and chords to a couple songs on the site...feel free to elaborate on them if you so desire...also, how's the surf been? It's been hit or miss around here lately (mostly miss). The wind has just been WAY too much lately. Well thanks for chiming in! Talk to ya in a bit!

Thanks guys! Any other comments or advice?
Old 06-30-2004, 01:41 PM

Nice job!! I am certainly not qualified to give advice, but I did enjoy the song
Old 07-01-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K
Nice job!! I am certainly not qualified to give advice, but I did enjoy the song
Well that's cool...I don't think I'm qualified to take advice . That's usually how I feel when I listen to other peoples tunes...They usually sound better than what I could do myself.

Thanks a lot Michael!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification