The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-01-2013, 02:09 AM

Default Autoharp scale length/string tension

How much tension is on autoharp strings? I heard they are similar to piano wires. What's the scale length of an autoharp. How high can I tune the thinnest autoharp string?
Old 07-19-2023, 06:41 AM

Strings are TIGHT and fairly heavy. My highest note is a D (don't know the number, but I'd say above the staff). An autoharp will have 1500-2000 lbs of tension on the frame. Nothing like a guitar's.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
How much tension is on autoharp strings? I heard they are similar to piano wires. What's the scale length of an autoharp. How high can I tune the thinnest autoharp string?
There is no "scale length" for autoharp, that's why the strings are all at a different lengths. If you're looking to build one you should look at the established design such as represented in the Oscar Schmidt design. I believe there are good construction plans available.

String gauges, pitch, tension, and sounding lengths were worked out long ago to produce an instrument with good volume and tone at a total tension that the robust construction will tolerate. Altering those parameters risks structural damage, so tread lightly.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There is no "scale length" for autoharp, that's why the strings are all at a different lengths. If you're looking to build one you should look at the established design such as represented in the Oscar Schmidt design. I believe there are good construction plans available.

String gauges, pitch, tension, and sounding lengths were worked out long ago to produce an instrument with good volume and tone at a total tension that the robust construction will tolerate. Altering those parameters risks structural damage, so tread lightly.
Thanks. I did not at that time. I wonder what the different lengths are.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I did not at that time. I wonder what the different lengths are.
It depends on the exact model and manufacturer of the autoharp. The vibrating length generally ranges from 7-1/2" to 19-1/2".
Old 07-22-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Strings are TIGHT and fairly heavy. My highest note is a D (don't know the number, but I'd say above the staff). An autoharp will have 1500-2000 lbs. of tension on the frame...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
...String gauges, pitch, tension, and sounding lengths were worked out long ago to produce an instrument with good volume and tone at a total tension that the robust construction will tolerate. Altering those parameters risks structural damage, so tread lightly...
Once again, a trip down Memory Lane from 2014 - in your own words:

Quote:
I'm trying not think about the tension...If I stop worrying about the tension then I can put my talented ears to use.
Quote:
I also have perfect pitch...If I can get off strings then I could put my ear to good use.
Quote:
No more string tension for me. The broken cello neck did it even though I did not crank up the strings.
None of us leads a charmed life: 1500-2000 pounds of sudden explosive force will put you in the hospital (or worse) - and you already got away lucky at least once...

Some friendly advice : If you haven't done so already, please seek professional assistance ASAP: if you have and your present therapist isn't helping you get to where you want/need to be, find someone who can (and will) - before matters result in permanent injury or fatality...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments