The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Shipping?

Question about shipping a guitar. I have a "few" guitars I'd like to sell. But, the closest UPS store is 30 min away. Do any of you ship guitars from home by weighing, packing and setting up home pick up? I'm pretty sure it can be done just never tried it myself. thanks in advance for any help. I hate to sell a guitar and have no way to ship it in a timely manner.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:48 AM

It can be done that way. Probably smart way to do it. I live in very rural area if I want to ship Fed Ex I have to setup pickup and UPS is about 30 miles away to.Ive noticed our post office is way behind with deliveries . I have some small items that were 3 day delivery coming and those 3 days have come and gone last week. USPS tracking shows there still in transit. Fed Ex has a package of mine right on schedule so they seem to be doing ok.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM

Call up UPS or FedX.
They will ask you questions including Weight, dimensions of the box, value, etc. You will be asked if you want to insure it for the value, and you will be instructed how to properly package it.
The Delivery company will pick it up in a timely fashion and it’s that simple.

Blues
Old 04-05-2020, 08:46 AM

Thanks for that. I have a guitar I would like to sell, and usually ship USPS but I would like to avoid the trip to the post office. FedEx has not impressed me at all (I could tell you stories) so I guess I will try UPS. Anyone used UPS lately and how was your experience? Thanks!
Yamaha FGX 720SCA
Rogue resonator
Eastman E1D 2019
Takamine GS330S
Eastman PCH
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
...Do any of you ship guitars from home by weighing, packing and setting up home pick up?...
I don't know about the home pickup, but if you sell off of reverb, I strongly recommend using their "print a shipping label." Of course, you have to have a printer, but if you give them the weight and measurements, they'll "sell" you a shipping label that you then tape to your shipping box, and I guarantee you the expense will be considerably less than if you personally worked directly with UPS or FedEx or USPS.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Yes. Certainly with Fedex ship manager, you can arrange a scheduled pickup by checking the box. I’m sure it’s the same with UPS.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorwampus View Post
Thanks for that. I have a guitar I would like to sell, and usually ship USPS but I would like to avoid the trip to the post office. FedEx has not impressed me at all (I could tell you stories) so I guess I will try UPS. Anyone used UPS lately and how was your experience? Thanks!
I hear you about FedEx. Never, ever again.

I recently sold a guitar via this forum and shipped it from the UPS store near my house. Easiest transaction I've ever had, and the guitar shipped in record time. Only one customer was allowed in at one time but nobody was there anyway.

I highly recommend that route if possible.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 04-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

You may already know this, but if you pack the guitar yourself, do it really well, secure the headstock with padding, follow all the recommendations, and take photos.

When the buyer receives the guitar, and there is visual damage to the box on arrival, have it noted on the delivery receipt, and then ask that they take photos before and during unboxing. That way when UPS denies the claim, you will have evidence to support it.

If the UPS store offers the pack and ship option (they have to be signed up for the program), it will cost more for theit packing service, but there will be no delay or problem getting a damage claim paid.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I don't know about the home pickup, but if you sell off of reverb, I strongly recommend using their "print a shipping label." Of course, you have to have a printer, but if you give them the weight and measurements, they'll "sell" you a shipping label that you then tape to your shipping box, and I guarantee you the expense will be considerably less than if you personally worked directly with UPS or FedEx or USPS.
I also assume you purchase the amount of insurance this way too..right? thanks
Old 04-05-2020, 11:38 AM

Use Reverb. Shipping and insurance rates are cheaper through them. As soon as you sell your guitar, they give you the option to print a shipping label at home. All you need is a tape measure, scale, and box.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 04-05-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Question about shipping a guitar. I have a "few" guitars I'd like to sell. But, the closest UPS store is 30 min away. Do any of you ship guitars from home by weighing, packing and setting up home pick up? I'm pretty sure it can be done just never tried it myself. thanks in advance for any help. I hate to sell a guitar and have no way to ship it in a timely manner.
You and one other poster mentioned "the UPS Store." I don't ship (so bear that in mind), but my understanding is that using the UPS Store can be vastly more expensive than most any other options, especially if they pack it for you. That's just what I've read many times in threads like this, so passing it along as something to check up front to avoid surprises.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I also assume you purchase the amount of insurance this way too..right? thanks
UPS and FedEx don't really offer insurance. You can use a 3rd party like U-Pic or purchasing shipping insurance through heritage. There's shockingly little info out there about it.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
You and one other poster mentioned "the UPS Store." I don't ship (so bear that in mind), but my understanding is that using the UPS Store can be vastly more expensive than most any other options, especially if they pack it for you. That's just what I've read many times in threads like this, so passing it along as something to check up front to avoid surprises.
My bad.
Guess I should have said:

If the UPS store offers the pack and ship option (they have to be signed up for the program), it will cost significantly more for their packing service, but there will be no delay or problem getting a damage claim paid.

The reality is that even if a guitar is packed well, a damage claim is usually summarily denied, and it can take significant time and energy to get paid. Maybe this is different if you ship with Reverb’s label and insurance. If so, that’s the way to go. Otherwise using the UPS pack and ship service ensures speedy, no hassle reimbursement. That could be a plus for some. Personally I hate wasting time contesting a denied claim. I make a lot more per hour in my regular work, than the amount of the additional cost. Obviously YMMV
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-05-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
...The reality is that even if a guitar is packed well, a damage claim is usually summarily denied, and it can take significant time and energy to get paid....
I guess this does happen, but I've shipped quite a few guitars using UPS, USPS, and FedEx. (I don't like FedEx either.) I've never had a damaged shipment. You do want to pack well. Sometimes I double-box. I've also received quite a few shipped guitars. Never had a problem there either.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

The first thing to do is to open an account with FedEx, UPS, USPS or whomever you like. This will save you a huge amount off of walk-in prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion