The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 11:52 AM

Default Straight up Strings Brand, vss. Other brands

I had no idea SUS even existed until I purchased some D'addario new X strings. And while looking up other brands to compare the tension I came across the SUS brand, and they look pretty good so far. Does anyone here use them, love them and swear by them and have you tried many other brands including the SC parabolic strings? Thanks
Old 04-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I had no idea SUS even existed until I purchased some D'addario new X strings. And while looking up other brands to compare the tension I came across the SUS brand, and they look pretty good so far. Does anyone here use them, love them and swear by them and have you tried many other brands including the SC parabolic strings? Thanks
I’ve used SUS mediums (146.5 total tension), D’Addario XT lights (160.51) and SC Mid Tension (163)...and many others. All of them were fine strings. Just a matter of personal taste and how they perform on an individual guitar. I like SC Mids best on my dread. So far, I’ve stuck with Elixir lights (162) on my Grand Pacific. Give ‘em all a try and follow your ears...

Old 04-03-2020, 12:44 PM

I've used SUS mediums exclusively for a couple of years now. I love them on all of my acoustic guitars. Never used SC's strings but I've gone through lots of others over the years. Wonderful people running SUS too, it's a small operation.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:05 PM

The set I have on there now are the SC parabolic and they've been on there for a while. So far, they are my favorite. The ones going on are the new D'addario XT 80/20 bronze. Then i'll try the Straight Up brand. One of them will by my go to....
Old 04-03-2020, 01:24 PM

I just re-ordered the similar Santa Cruz strings. The why.....

They're one of the few treated or coated strings I've liked and they indeed lasted long.

Overall, these focused on balanced tension strings and the SCGC are like long lasting round core strings I really like. Nice feel without taking away any punch or ring in the tone.

It happens that I have a Santa Cruz guitar but a lot of people like them regardless of guitar make.

As far as other brands, I've tended to like round core phosphor bronze the most but they do require paying attention and no early cutting.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:51 PM

Newtone Heritage low tension strings.
Order straight from their UK factory, cheap postage.
https://newtonestrings.com/shop/heri...stic-6-string/

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-03-2020, 02:58 PM

I've never heard of Straight Up Strings (SUS) before. Where do you buy them from?
Old 04-03-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never heard of Straight Up Strings (SUS) before. Where do you buy them from?
https://straightupstrings.com/

They have been my go to strings for over a year. I have one guitar that doesn’t sound good with them (a Goodall), but my EIR Collings OM and dread, and my Webber Walnut jumbo love them.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Just a comment on the SUS strings which I like a lot. Check their gauge before ordering. Heavy = typical mediums, Mediums = typical light, etc. some have said they manufacture, or did manufacture, the SC strings.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:03 AM

The first and last set I bought from SUS came with a defective wound string. To their credit they replaced it and from there they were no better nor any worse than any premium string. I saw no need to pay their price, as several other brands are just as good and I’ve had no faulty strings to get replaced.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-04-2020, 10:58 AM

I use SUS most of the time, and I have tried many other brands

NewTone Heritage sound a little bit too brassy and harsh. Daddario sound fine but kind of flavorless. DR Sunbeams sound pretty good, but lack a little bit of the warmth of the SUS.

Another of my go-to string brands is Ernie Ball Earthwood, in 80/20 or phosphor bronze. I think they sound great in a medium gauge tuned down a half step, so there's about the same tension as a light set of strings, but with more gravitas due to the thicker strings.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I use SUS most of the time, and I have tried many other brands

NewTone Heritage sound a little bit too brassy and harsh. Daddario sound fine but kind of flavorless. DR Sunbeams sound pretty good, but lack a little bit of the warmth of the SUS.

Another of my go-to string brands is Ernie Ball Earthwood, in 80/20 or phosphor bronze. I think they sound great in a medium gauge tuned down a half step, so there's about the same tension as a light set of strings, but with more gravitas due to the thicker strings.
I have heard the the Ernie Ball strings wear out sooner. Has that been the case for you?
Old 04-05-2020, 09:29 AM

Ive used SUS and liked them but not a standout for me GHS Thin Core is a new string on the market. It is a similar type of string that has a great sound. I used Heritage for years and off and on try different strings always coming back to Heritage until now. No more ordering from the factory for a set.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've test SUS and Santa Cruz extensively and I like them both. However, I found no advantage to the Santa Cruz strings over the SUS even though the SC's are at least twice the price of the SUS. They have similar sonic properties. SUS and SC's have similar but different philosophies behind them. SUS is designed around the concept that balancing the tension makes the soundboard react differently due to reducing the "twisting" of non balanced tensioned strings. SC's approach is to simply say it's not about gauge, but tension. FWIW, SUS has their medium gauge string tension listed at 146.5 pounds, but this has got to be a mistake as it is unrealistic.

Both of these sets have good clarity and strong mid range qualities. You will notice that SC's use the same gauge low E on both the low and mid tension strings. Personally, I don't think that choice has anything to do with tension directly, but by going to a heavier gauge low E affects the resultant harmonics of the other strings, consequently lowering overall volume.

If you're looking for low tension strings that are fantastic on some guitars, try DR Sunbeam 12's. I've also found that strings that have a sound in the "neighborhood" as the SUS and SC's is John Pearse Phos/Bronze. I like the 12-56's (bluegrass?) gauge a lot.

I've also posted a chart that includes Elixir strings and found for myself, especially for my Taylor guitars that I prefer the 12-56 gauge strings, which seems to give more clarity on the low end, but unlike other strings I've tested, do not affect the harmonics of volume negatively.

If the charts are hard to read, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the jpg files so you can blow them up to make them more readable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santa_Cruz_SUS_data_wParabola_V3med.jpg (22.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg SUS_SC_Elixr_Comparison-chart.jpg (35.5 KB, 130 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

We did a great podcast with Richard Hoover and one of his people, Rick Barto, who has a lot to do with the development and testing of the Santa Cruz strings - much like luthiery, there are a number of people who are doing great research into the physics and metalurgy of strings, and its worth a listen if you’re stuck inside with little to do -

https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/lun...ith-rick-barto

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion