The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 06:06 AM

Default Phosphor Bronze vs. 80/20

Hey guys,

Hoping I can get some valuable information from you guys regarding acoustic strings. primarily Phosphor bronze as opposed to 80/20.

I went into my local music store to pick up a couple sets of guitar strings (in fear of them closing up shop due to COVID-19), And I didn't realize this until later on after I got home that the Elixir 11-52's that i asked for i actually got them in Phosphor bronze this time. the set I currently have on my acoustic is the same strings but in 80/20.

Phosphor bronze according to the packet supposedly give a rich and full tone, but my question is what is the manufacturing difference between phosphor bronze and 80/20 ? what does 80/20 even mean to begin with?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:32 AM

Hi, 80/20 is 80% copper and 20% zinc. Brass in other words. Bronze is 92% copper.

80/20 is brighter sounding I believe.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 AM

PB = 92% copper, 8% tin (which makes up the metal known as bronze).
80/20 = 80% copper, 20% zinc (which is essentially.............brass).

So you could distill it down to say one is a bronze string, one is a brass string.
Let your ears be your guide as to their sonic differences.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 AM

Default Phosphor Bronze vs. 80/20

In my experience Phosphor Bronze brings out more overtones than 80/20's, and tends to sound more lush. 80/20's on the other hand have more emphasis on the fundamental and have a more direct punchy sound.
I prefer Phosphor Bronze on my mahogany back and sides guitars, and the 80/20's for Rosewood back and sides.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 03-29-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:10 AM

FoxHound, you should just give the Elixir phosphors a try, and decide for yourself about them. What I’ve found is that these various string alloys like 80/20’s, phosphors and nickel work better on some instruments than others - it can be very individual from one guitar to the next. I routinely test three alloys in quick succession on every new-to-me instrument that comes my way.

I do this string comparison quickly, sacrificing each set well before it’s worn out, so that each set will still be at its peak when I go on to the next test set. If I wait until a test set is completely dead before moving on to the next set, ANYTHING I put on next will sound better.

As it happens, I’m not a big fan of coated strings in general, but I have and sometimes still do use them on guitars that I own but don’t play very often.

Of the various coated strings I’ve tried, I liked the Elixir phosphor bronze Nanowebs better than most.

Since you’ve already brought the strings back home, you might as well give them a try. You might find that you like them a lot.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I was asking myself this very question a few days ago. Insert your thread title into Google and you will find a wealth of information (but most of it is distilled into the replies above). One interesting point is that phosphor bronze strings first appeared in 1974 (D’Addario). Prior to that 80/20’s ruled, so they were what we were hearing on all the 60’s folk and rock recordings many of us love.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
In my experience Phosphor Bronze brings out more overtones than 80/20's, and tends to sound more lush. 80/20's on the other hand have more emphasis on the fundamental and have a more direct punchy sound.
I prefer Phosphor Bronze on my mahogany back and sides guitars, and the 80/20's for Rosewood back and sides.
From my research, most people will say the same thing.

I am just beginning to experiment between the two different types. The one part that confuses me is the mahogany/rosewood distinction. Most people seem to agree with you: PB on mahogany, 80/20 on rosewood. But, like all things with guitars, some believe the opposite. The thing is, since mahogany is normally considered a rounder, darker sound and rosewood as snappier and brighter, I would think one would want to do the opposite (PB on rosewood, 80/20 on mahogany) to offset these distinctions rather than accentuate them.

What say you, AGF?
Old 03-29-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreDrummer View Post

I am just beginning to experiment between the two different types. The one part that confuses me is the mahogany/rosewood distinction. Most people seem to agree with you: PB on mahogany, 80/20 on rosewood. But, like all things with guitars, some believe the opposite. The thing is, since mahogany is normally considered a rounder, darker sound and rosewood as snappier and brighter, I would think one would want to do the opposite (PB on rosewood, 80/20 on mahogany) to offset these distinctions rather than accentuate them.

What say you, AGF?

To my ear, Rosewood exhibits more overtones to an extent that bothers me at times. Phosphorus strings exacerbate this overtone situation, but the 80/20’s seem to reduce it a bit. Unfortunately, I find I get more finger squeak from the 80/20’s but I have reduced that with some attention to my technique. They are definitely bolder sounding as well.

My 000-18 benefits for the extra overtones of Phosphorus strings and seems a bit louder as well.

However, I must point out that I don’t use coated strings, so they may behave differently.

Strings are cheap, maybe try both and see what sounds best to you on your guitar.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 AM

Guitar strings can sound completely different from guitar to guitar.

Kind of like how the same model guitars sound different.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-29-2020, 08:29 AM

Then there's the question as to which type sounds better on Maple!
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM

That’s really THE question.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-29-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreDrummer View Post

The thing is, since mahogany is normally considered a rounder, darker sound and rosewood as snappier and brighter, I would think one would want to do the opposite (PB on rosewood, 80/20 on mahogany) to offset these distinctions rather than accentuate them.

What say you, AGF?
I never felt that. I have both and Rosewood it the darker of the two and not as bright.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:09 AM

I’ve played 80/20 and Phosphor Bronze on the same guitar.
In my experience (YMMV) as 80/20’s age they warm up to the approximate tone of a new set of Phosphor Bronze.
They will be a little less “complex” tonally.
But in a week or so, you will barely remember the difference.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-29-2020, 10:37 AM

I'm currently in the process of trying to determine which I like better on my adi/EIR HD-28: the PB or the 80/20. I've so far been through about five different brands of PB strings in a medium-light gauge, and just put on my first set of 80/20s (Ernie Ball Earthwoods).

I will agree on the 80/20 sounding more fundamental, with less overtones. That became apparent pretty quickly.

Most of the PBs have definitely given the guitar a rich sound, some darker than others, and I do like the way these 80/20s are taming the overtones, cleaning up the voice a bit. Incidentally, I'm doing a similar experiment with the Taylor as far as coated/uncoated strings. I believe I'll stick with PB strings on that one as they help balance out what I call the typical "Taylor treble". It'll simply be a coated/uncoated issue with that guitar.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
Then there's the question as to which type sounds better on Maple!
I've a guitar with maple top and mahogany bottom and sides. For now, I prefer 80/20 for the deep and clear tone I get.

Peace

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion