The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-29-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I went to the guitar store to play some carbon fiber guitars finally. I played a number of Rainsong models to see which ones I liked the best. It turns out I like the new Vintage Series the best. I liked them enough to consider one in the future. Before I left, I picked up a McPherson Sable. I have never played one.

In a word... wow.

I was not prepared to fall for a carbon fiber instrument. But, these things just sing. And, that bass was amazing. How can you get that much bass out of a box like that? Physics no longer applies? I played it for more than an hour and the time slipped way. Just like when I bought my Authentic, recently. It was a similar experience.

I wasn’t prepared to buy another instrument so close to the last one! So, I went home and sulked. My wife knew by dinner time that I had “guitar brain.” So, I sheepishly admitted I played something different and it floored me. She was not impressed. Much dishwashing ensued on my part.

Nevertheless, I must have looked pitiful the following days because she suggested I go back and retrieve it. Unfortunately, I had to work late so it was a no-go for Friday. I went into work today (Saturday) for a special project and decided I would go to the shop after work and buy the guitar. I checked the website and... It sold...

What?!

So, I called the shop and they said they’d call Monday and have another shipped overnight to them. I can come retrieve it on Tuesday. So, if it sounds as good as the one I played, it will be my first non-wood, non-golden era inspired instrument in many moons. I presume they are consistent because of the materials and construction?

I even liked the LR Baggs pickup and medium low action, which is blasphemy. It’s a fact (in my world) that undersaddle pickups ruin tone. Physics no longer applies, again?

At least they have the good taste to ship it with 13s. :-)
Give this a watch if you haven’t already...Unless this is complete marketing babble (don’t think so), this will probably give you confidence that the replacement unit will play and sound as consistently good as the one you were hoping to get...It makes complete sense to me....He explains why their guitars are more consistent than the competition —>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-e6Q5lxvc
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 PM

DBone, that explains a lot. I should have assumed they’d have to invent a new process to make carbon sound that good.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

When I registered my Sable online at the McPherson site, I asked a couple of questions and they got back to me quickly. Nice customer support.

I asked about how many carbon fiber guitars they build each year, and was told that the number is less than 500. These are labor-intensive and McPherson considers them as boutique.

I have seen a couple of McPhersons here. They have been either honeycomb or plain , but all (except mine) have not had the gold package. Apparently, they make fewer of these. However, the gold package (or lack thereof) doesn't change how they sound or play in my experience. So it would certainly be a safe bet to get whatever the shop has on hand unless you are set on specific appointments as I was. I have two Touring models, and both are honeycomb with the gold package, so I wanted a matched set.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-29-2020, 10:38 PM

I am still loving my Sable, and it wasn’t the look, but after picking it up I had that “guitar brain” too. Mine is plain without the gold package, but the sound is insane, not loud but full, and the feel of the neck is perfect for me.
I did not buy the one I played in the store either and am completely satisfied noticing no difference in sound, or feel at all with the one I bought, so you should be good to go.
Congrats.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:26 AM

I would go gold for the EVO frets. So far the EVO refret on my RainSong, after a month of essentially being played exclusively, shows no sign of wear. At this point nickel silver would have clear marks under the B-string.

I just checked the MF and GC websites and at the moment only the Touring is listed.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-01-2020, 07:29 AM

My 2019 Blacked out Touring with stock sliver fret and tuners is everything I was looking for. I was able to pick up at Guitar Center for a a reasonable price (for a CF) at 20% off with one of there once a year coupons and am very happy. Had to wait 6 weeks till it came in but was perfect. Between the touring and my Emerald Amicus I have all my bases covered and really have not felt GAS for a while but love ready everyone's CF adventures. The out door guitar has peeked my interest but will have to see how they fair in the wild first. Congrats joining the McPherson family...
Old 03-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Give this a watch if you haven’t already...Unless this is complete marketing babble (don’t think so), this will probably give you confidence that the replacement unit will play and sound as consistently good as the one you were hoping to get...It makes complete sense to me....He explains why their guitars are more consistent than the competition —>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-e6Q5lxvc
Thanks for posting this link. It was informative. Now, I am extra glad I went for the gold package in my three McPhersons and that they were all made after the tweaks Larry talked about.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-01-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations and welcome to the CF club. You will quickly notice that the more you play it, the more you will wonder what took you so long to get here
Old 03-01-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Thanks for posting this link. It was informative. Now, I am extra glad I went for the gold package in my three McPhersons and that they were all made after the tweaks Larry talked about.

Tony
No problem brother. I thought some of you might appreciate it. It was that video that cemented in my guitar brain (among other research resources) that a Sable from Mcpherson would likely be the next carbon fiber I would go with.

I am very very pleased overall with my RainSong, but as I noted in my recent NGD thread, I personally believe that they could be a little better on the finishing and attention to detail. If you have problems, at least they are closer by over here to deal with things for you without too much of a problem. That was helpful when RainSong had to replace the first unit they sent me. RainSong makes a fine product overall, but my impression is that you get that extra level of attention to detail out of a Mcpherson. At these price points this stuff matters...At least to me...I would still recommend RainSong. I am really enjoying this guitar.

Although I certainly have a clear interest in Emerald, I have read about enough problems with them to hold off. My sense is that they are still refining their product. There are a lot of logistical problems at a point where you may have problems with their product given their location etc...I will likely look at one for purchase down the line. At some point I want to have a jumbo in my stable, but I don't want the bulk and discomfort that usually comes along with it. The X-30 seems like the ultimate solution to that problem. They are pretty cool.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-01-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
No problem brother. I thought some of you might appreciate it. It was that video that cemented in my guitar brain (among other research resources) that a Sable from Mcpherson would likely be the next carbon fiber I would go with.

I am very very pleased overall with my RainSong, but as I noted in my recent NGD thread, I personally believe that they could be a little better on the finishing and attention to detail. If you have problems, at least they are closer by over here to deal with things for you without too much of a problem. That was helpful when RainSong had to replace the first unit they sent me. RainSong makes a fine product overall, but my impression is that you get that extra level of attention to detail out of a Mcpherson. At these price points this stuff matters...At least to me...I would still recommend RainSong. I am really enjoying this guitar.

Although I certainly have a clear interest in Emerald, I have read about enough problems with them to hold off. My sense is that they are still refining their product. There are a lot of logistical problems at a point where you may have problems with their product given their location etc...I will likely look at one for purchase down the line. At some point I want to have a jumbo in my stable, but I don't want the bulk and discomfort that usually comes along with it. The X-30 seems like the ultimate solution to that problem. They are pretty cool.
Still I have not seen an Emerald, but am sure locally a couple of us will work that out. Since I have the Sable and Touring and a few Cargos, I really don't plan on buying another carbon fiber guitar. I am always interested in seeing and experiencing other guitars though.

I have 4 nice wood guitars that I am perfectly happy hanging on to. However, while the humidity is way down for the winter, I am playing my Sable most of the time and it is growing on me. It could easily be my only normal sized guitar. I think the small instruments such as the Touring and Cargo are great for when age catches up with us and a larger instrument becomes difficult to manage. I can safely say that the Touring is a miniature version of the Sable in every respect, and without sacrificing quality.

Regarding McPherson, their guitars have long been absolutely stellar in terms of quality. The company really pays attention to the small details in manufacturing that make for consistently high quality.

My nephew is a bow hunter and says that McPherson makes the finest carbon fiber hunting bows in the world. Whether that really is true for every country in the world (especially since I am not a bow hunter and have not been outside the US in several years), I can't say but clearly he is quite impressed with the quality of the McPherson bow. I have seen similar comments about their bows elsewhere. So I am not surprised that their carbon fiber guitars share that same level of attention to the smallest details in producing quality products.

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this sub-forum, I feel that the Touring is what the Cargo could have been, had it gotten the R & D dollars and the time to develop. As nice as the Cargo is, the McPherson touch really makes the Touring that much nicer of an instrument.

It is great that there are a growing number of choices in the carbon fiber guitar market, and you certainly can't go wrong with most of them. The McPherson and the original Cargo are what I know, and I am quite pleased with these. It is fun to read about all the other makers and instruments in this forum, and especially to hear about others' experiences with McPherson.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-01-2020, 11:53 AM

in my opinion the McPherson Sable is the absolute best sounding CF guitar on the market. Of course that is based on listening to video only and I realize the limitations of that. Video will get you close though, especially with some good headphones.

Congrats on your purchase martingitdave, or maybe martinandmcphersongitdave! I'm sure you will be very happy.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
in my opinion the McPherson Sable is the absolute best sounding CF guitar on the market. Of course that is based on listening to video only and I realize the limitations of that. Video will get you close though, especially with some good headphones.

Congrats on your purchase martingitdave, or maybe martinandmcphersongitdave! I'm sure you will be very happy.
Your opinion is pretty accurate... I think they sound great ... even my plain ole black one... which sounds as good as the gold ones I have played... the golded up Touring I have is one great sounding critter too of course. Fun stuff.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-01-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, David, on becoming carbonated, and Enjoy Your Sable!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-01-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Congratulations, David, on becoming carbonated, and Enjoy Your Sable!
I like that! When you buy a McPherson (or really from any maker), you should get a button to wear that says "I'm carbonated!".

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I like that! When you buy a McPherson (or really from any maker), you should get a button to wear that says "I'm carbonated!".

Tony
I'm getting T-shirts made right now...Nice...

2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber