The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-19-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Wood guitar free for the first time in....

forever. I tried to count the years but couldn't. Let's just say that I can't remember the last time I didn't own a wooden acoustic. I've never owned strictly carbon fiber guitars. My goal was to get to this point so I have no regrets. Quite frankly, I'm really happy to go into cold weather, and the only wood will go into my living room stove. How about the rest of you? How long have you been wood free?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-24-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, RP! Imagine the joy of never again worrying about humidity...

I'm not "woodfree." Still own both, but I can understand the feeling.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-19-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:57 AM

Balancing out Methos1979 who is now CF free... Its almost a name like... Oprah Woodfree
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-19-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Balancing out Methos1979 who is now CF free... Its almost a name like... Oprah Woodfree
You're much sharper than I am first thing in the AM...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-19-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
You're much sharper than I am first thing in the AM...
I am this way when sleeping ...Shhhhh
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-19-2019, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I am this way when sleeping ...Shhhhh
And that's why you're THE KRAMSTER, and we're not.........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-19-2019, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

I was woodfree for over a year, and figured I’d stay that way, but now I’m not. I get the appeal, but I figure as long as I have at least one carbon fiber guitar I can always leave out, hanging on the wall, also having wooden guitar(s) in case(s) with in-case humidification isn’t a problem for me. And it seems I really do like both flavors.

Congratulations, enjoy the liberation, and let us know how it’s going over time...

-Ray
Old 10-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on going wood-free, RP! I was feeling that way going into last winter as I waited for and finally received the last of my personally-ordered custom Emeralds in December. It was great not worrying about dry air and cold temps. As most regular's here know, I've since done an about face and am now carbon fiber free but I'm surprisingly still not worried about the humidity issue. I'm not sure why. The Cole Clarks are built in the perfect humidity band and the company does strongly advocate to keep them in that band but I guess because they are not super expensive guitars I'm not as concerned, though they certainly are not cheap guitars either.

Our home does get down into the low 30's at some point but it's not for all that long. Plus, our home is also relatively small so anytime a shower is taken (twice daily with two inhabitants) or something is boiled on the stove the humidity rises quickly. Then there is the fact that I owned a Tacoma all-solid wood guitar for probably 10 years and hung it on the wall in the small living room opposite a huge Vermont Castings wood stove that we heated the whole house with in the winters and I never had an issue with that guitar cracking. I did run a cast iron tea pot with water daily on the wood stove and I was blissfully ignorant of the issue of all solid wood acoustic guitars back then as that was pre-AGF! But still never an issue.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on going wood free. Did you have to wear the patch for a while to help with the transition or did you quit cold turkey?

I thought I could go wood free, but I can't. I am currently in Arkansas, staying not far from Fayetteville. We will be heading back home to the Twin Cities tomorrow.

The day before yesterday, I drove into Fayetteville to Sunrise Guitars - a great store for acoustic guitarists, though they don't have CF guitars. I played a now Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition and its sound is magical. I had to buy it. The guitar is one of Taylor's V-class and has Koa back and sides and a "baked" Sitka spruce top. I got a decent discount on it, so I just had to take it home with me. It would have easily been the one that got away, haunting me for years if I hadn't grabbed it.

This is a guitar I won't be running scales, arpeggios, and chord progressions on. Instead I am exploring the sounds I can get from it because it has the kind of sound that invites that.

I can't claim that you can't get that kind of sound from CF, but none of mine come close (not tat they sound bad, quite the contrary, but not like this). So this one stays. So, at some point, I plan to be wood free EXCEPT for this K14ce.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I’m at 3 CF to one Koa but looking to add to the mix...
Old 10-19-2019, 09:21 AM

now we swung the other way, wood free. not a single ED pun...hope I didn't hit a nerve
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 10-19-2019, 09:27 AM

My original plan was to be in that category but I'm now quite content to keep both wood and carbon fiber. I can't say that either is better than the other tonally but I certainly have an attachment to some of my wood guitars and glad I kept them. The carbons get most of the attention during the winter months for travelling around and the woods get attention mostly at home. I try to share the love between them all now. Having a carbon fiber guitar out all the time is a constant reminder that I do play guitar and travelling around worry free is great.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_man View Post
now we swung the other way, wood free. not a single ED pun...hope I didn't hit a nerve
I am way too mature for that comment...oh wait... that can't be me...sorry musta been think of some one else...proceed
Old 11-10-2019, 06:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I was woodfree for over a year, and figured I’d stay that way, but now I’m not. I get the appeal, but I figure as long as I have at least one carbon fiber guitar I can always leave out, hanging on the wall, also having wooden guitar(s) in case(s) with in-case humidification isn’t a problem for me. And it seems I really do like both flavors.

Congratulations, enjoy the liberation, and let us know how it’s going over time...

-Ray
Sounds like a plan...I’ve been having some thoughts in this direction as well...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37 AM

Still have a few wood all laminate acoustic guitars but those that had solid wood tops were gone 3 years ago about the same time I got my two carbon fiber acoustics.
I'll never buy another wood acoustic guitar.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber